Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question, are the painted sections of the tank and side covers made of metal or plastic? As in the parts that are painted red on the rapid version.

Second question... What's your honest opinion of the stock exhaust? Not how it looks, but how loud it is & the tone? In other words, do you think more volume is really necessary? I'll be waiting til November to even see one at my dealer :sad5: Thanks in advance guys.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
The panels are plastic...

The exhaust is all about personal preference. It has enough volume to be heard over the wind with ear plugs, but it's still very quiet. I personally like the tone - has a slight metallic rap to it that Triumphs don't.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk now Free

·
Registered
365 Posts
My opinion is the exhaust is way too quiet. If u plan on commuting on this bike you will deffinatley want exhaust for it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My opinion is the exhaust is way too quiet. If u plan on commuting on this bike you will deffinatley want exhaust for it.
What the heck does an exhaust have to do with commuting? I like quiet. Its less annoying.

Don't give me that safety BS either. Loud exhausts don't save lives.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What the heck does an exhaust have to do with commuting? I like quiet. Its less annoying.

Don't give me that safety BS either. Loud exhausts don't save lives.
I don't want to steel someone else's thread so i will start one on this subject!.

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The exhaust is great, by the time you get bored with the sound there should be many aftermarket options out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Personally, I like a little more exhaust sound. Nothing that is overbearing, but definitely something that you can hear with molded earplugs in.......it makes me smile. I do try to be responsible though with the exhausts that are somewhat louder than stock. If I'm in a residential area, by a church, hospital, etc, I will either keep the RPM's down and go slower, or I'll upshift enough to keep the Revs down. But, as Stoltec stated, it's personal preference and as long as you aren't catching the attention of the LEOs and disturbing everyone around you being obnoxious, I say go for a little more sound if you like it.

The other side of the coin is this......as quiet as the stock bike is......it qualifies for "sneaky fast" for sure. Everyone expects a "fast bike" to have a loud exhaust note. Well, I gotta tell you, this bike is wicked fast and it's kind of stealthy.....which equals......."sneaky fast!"

·
Registered
160 Posts
Personally, I like a little more exhaust sound. Nothing that is overbearing, but definitely something that you can hear with molded earplugs in.......it makes me smile. I do try to be responsible though with the exhausts that are somewhat louder than stock. If I'm in a residential area, by a church, hospital, etc, I will either keep the RPM's down and go slower, or I'll upshift enough to keep the Revs down. But, as Stoltec stated, it's personal preference and as long as you aren't catching the attention of the LEOs and disturbing everyone around you being obnoxious, I say go for a little more sound if you like it.

The other side of the coin is this......as quiet as the stock bike is......it qualifies for "sneaky fast" for sure. Everyone expects a "fast bike" to have a loud exhaust note. Well, I gotta tell you, this bike is wicked fast and it's kind of stealthy.....which equals......."sneaky fast!"
damn you i think u finally made me change my mind about the exhaust haha at first i was like man this thing is way to quiet but now after rocketing off the line and pulling up behind people all quiet i just feel so stealthy like some mustang guys shows off and i just turn to a spec :cool:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Interesting take on it. So it's a "sleeper" right now. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, I always wear earplugs so I have a feeling I won't be hearing much. I'm like you though, I like something a bit louder than stock, but not what I'd describe as actually being "loud". I just like being able to hear the motor.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
You'll definitely hear it when you roll into the throttle hard. Probably as much intake noise as exhaust, for the rider.

·
Registered
881 Posts
That's a very good point. Mine will almost certainly remain stock. But then again, I've owned mine for only about six hours so the almost is in there just in case!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've had mine for two weeks and love the exhaust it has enough tone but won't bother anyone. I agree with triplethreat this bike is very fast and smooth, I changed oil and the headers are spaced perfect for a 17mm socket and a K-N 204 filter to be torqued on easy.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts