Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agonizing over which sliders to get. Have always used Motovation, but like the idea of something that uses both engine mounting points. The OES kit is a good deal, but Jacob at OES says they recommend NOT using loctite on the bolts. WTF? It's my engine mount bolts. He says bolts *could* snap and I'd never get them out. Motovations are delrin, which I've heard may shatter. OES's are a hard plastic and not delrin. Motovation says use blue thread locker.

For the R&G, I don't see too many sites selling the Aero, which seem to be the ones with two mounting points, plus they offer case covers? How do the case covers install? Have never had anything like them. Is it an involved install? Is oil lost? Are there install instructions somewhere?

I've read many frame slider threads on this and other forums. Looking for best overall protection, and a couple hundred $ total difference is not a problem for the right product.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would recommend using low or medium strength thread locker on the engine bolts,not so much to prevent loosening,the torque setting will do that,but to seal the thread to prevent corrosion.People have already reported corrosion where the original stainless bolts have been replaced with zinc plated ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Trex frame sliders and the Evotech axle sliders. I've dealt with the R&G sliders before, and they're great quality stuff. Never messed with the engine protectors, but from the pictures, it looks like a number of case cover bolts need to be removed, and then install the protectors. I think you'll lose some oil, but not much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got the OES front sliders and used medium strength thread locker on them I never saw instructions not to use it but then again who reads instructions anymore... But OES ones seem solid and I bought just the front pair for $50 and the t-rex case covers. And possibly will be buying one of the front fork spool guard things as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the OES front sliders and used medium strength thread locker on them I never saw instructions not to use it but then again who reads instructions anymore... But OES ones seem solid and I bought just the front pair for $50 and the t-rex case covers. And possibly will be buying one of the front fork spool guard things as well.

The OES instructions say to apply grease/lube to the threads before installing. My dealer service manager said it needed to be blue loctite, even after I told him I found no threadlocker residue on the stock bolts.... He said the concern of the bolt snapping off in a slide is real, but the tool he would use to extract the bolt makes it no issue versus using NO threadlocker and having the engine mount bolts becoming loose. I believed him.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The OES instructions say to apply grease/lube to the threads before installing. My dealer service manager said it needed to be blue loctite, even after I told him I found no threadlocker residue on the stock bolts.... He said the concern of the bolt snapping off in a slide is real, but the tool he would use to extract the bolt makes it no issue versus using NO threadlocker and having the engine mount bolts becoming loose. I believed him.
Grease I guess makes sense going in to make sure you don't shear the aluminum threads entering. But I'm sure that really either way will work. Its just a matter of piece of mind and for me that was thread locker. Had them on for about 400 miles with all sorts of riding and haven't cane loose or anything yet. But yeah that bolt getting stuck in there could be an issue but one I will deal with if the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts