Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**UPDATE** My dealer did the factory reflash without my consent...

EDIT: I made an update post further down. tl/dr: Dealer installed factory reflash without my consent. It's called YCCT REPROGRAM. I explained my loss of the stoltec reflash and showed them the receipt. They begrudgingly gave me $125 out of the register. Now I'm sad.

I took my 2014 into my dealer (SouthBay in San Diego) to fix the headlight recall. They ended up reflashing the ECU per the factory bulletin, but I had already done the Stoltec reflash!

I am pissed to say the least. The bike is still at the dealer. My questions are:

a) Does this reflash undue what Stoltec did?

b) If so, how does it compare?

c) Do I have any recourse here? Are dealers required to fix this like a recall? Can I ask them to pay for my Stoltec Reflash that they undid?

Any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
610 Posts
A swift kick to the nads would be in order.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im just wondering, Is there way to check our vin online to see if it is effected by the recalls? I don't 100% trust my dealer.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No but you can call yamaha corporate and they can tell you. Unless you buy a 2015 model, chances are it is affected.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
That is ****ed up... The Stoltec Flash is a collectible nowadays. :(
yup,

Does this reflash undue what Stoltec did?
yes it does.....you no longer have a performance flash...you have a throttle remap on top of an otherwise stock ECU map

If so, how does it compare?
its like apples and oranges...
Do I have any recourse here? Are dealers required to fix this like a recall? Can I ask them to pay for my Stoltec Reflash that they undid?
its not a recall and they are not required to do it...quite the opposite, they SHOULD NOT be doing it without your consent.

bottom line, you got screwed and they owe you whatever it cost to put it back to how it was before they modified it without your permission

·
Registered
554 Posts
Next time I have my tank off I'm going to put a note on the ecu saying not to reflash it, along with the stoltec sticker I put on it when I had the flash done. I wonder if they have to remove the tank to flash the ecu or if they can just plug in somewhere with a factory gameboy controller. Sorry this happened to these folks.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Bummer, good luck with that. I would say that you are screwed, and it will turn into a pissing match, likely with them informing the warranty rep that you cracked into the computer, thus causing you more trouble.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Bummer, good luck with that. I would say that you are screwed, and it will turn into a pissing match, likely with them informing the warranty rep that you cracked into the computer, thus causing you more trouble.
the worst thing they can do is void his warranty, which is probably getting ready to expire anyway....he on the other hand has a case against them for changing the characteristics of his motorcycle without prior consent..something no vehicle manufacturer is allowed to do.

unless he signed some sort of broad scope repair order,(unlikely)they willingly put their balls in a sling when they flashed his controller without approval

·
Registered
92 Posts
the worsts thing they can do is void his warranty, which is probably getting ready to expire anyway....he on the other hand has a case against them for changing the characteristics of his motorcycle without prior consent..something no vehicle manufacturer is allowed to do.

unless he signed some sort of broad scope repair order,(unlikely)they willingly put their balls in a sling when they flashed his controller without approval
I would think they were trying to do the OP a favor by doing the ECU update. Unless they knew it was flashed, which then would have been gross incompetence. Unfortunately I wouldn't bet the dealer is going to reimburse him for the original flash.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I would think they were trying to do the OP a favor by doing the ECU update. Unless they knew it was flashed, which then would have been gross incompetence. Unfortunately I wouldn't bet the dealer is going to reimburse him for the original flash.
I have no doubt they were trying to help him, unfortunately,that did not turn out to be the case.

I am not a lawyer, but since this flash changes the characteristics of the bike, I can not imagine they would be allowed to do it without prior owner consent.....and if IIRC, the last time this happeed, the dealer did cover the associated cost with returning the ECU to its previous state

I do know that if this were a car , and the dealer flashed an ECU without owner consent, they would be on the hook for whatever cost is associated to returning that ECU to the condition it was in prior to them flashing it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
the worst thing they can do is void his warranty, which is probably getting ready to expire anyway....he on the other hand has a case against them for changing the characteristics of his motorcycle without prior consent..something no vehicle manufacturer is allowed to do.

No, they cannot 'void his warranty'.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I was alluding to the fact that they could void his remaining warranty, and if he has a YES warranty, they could cancel it as well and refund a pro-rata balance. They would also tell him to get an attorney and take them to court, which is small claims.

Also, they can defend the flash as a safety bulletin, and yes they very well can void his warranty.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
No, they cannot 'void his warranty'.
they certainly can, and no lawyer in the world would be able to stop them.

Also, they can defend the flash as a safety bulletin, and yes they very well can void his warranty.
I'm not so sure the "safety bulletin" would fly based solely on the way the original TSB is worded.
I'm hoping for the sake of the OP that they step up and admit their mistake ...

·
Registered
200 Posts
they certainly can, and no lawyer in the world would be able to stop them.
They can deny warranty coverage if the modified part is shown to be the direct cause of a failure. But they cannot void a warranty.

They wouldn't be able to deny work if you flashed your ecu and and your clutch cable snapped.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
They can do whatever they want. It is up to the consumer to press the issue with a lawyer. And dealing with a 8k bike, most people are not going to waste their time or money. It is a cost vs. benefit analysis for the consumer.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Truth be told, this is another example of why many refer to their Dealership as their Stealership.

Reactions: cza888 and Obijack
1 - 20 of 37 Posts