Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here and In the market for a new bike.

I have riding experience but have not had a bike for a while (Kids and no time)

Well now Im looking for a bike for both commuting to work one or two days a week and for fun weekend rides. I set a price point of $8000 for the bike and then the fees and taxes and such. So the V strom 650 and FZ-09 fit my price. I can get a 2013 V Strom 650 for even less.

My concerns are that the FZ-09 may not be the best commuter on cooler days and that I may wish for more power from the Vstrom 650.

When ever go to the dealership, I am Drawn to the FZ-09. It seams to say ride me. I like the riding position as the unobstructed view. The Vstrom says but I'm a more practical decision. I get better MPGs and can go farther on a tank fill and Im Also cheaper on insurance.

So please advise me on your feelings about my choices.

I'm so undecided that I missed a great tent sale this past weekend with good prices on 2013 Vstroms because I really want to be sure. And for the record the price on the FZ-09s didn't budge for this sale.

·
Registered
137 Posts
With a new seat the fz09 could easily be a commuter. And the engine is amazing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a V-strom for 22,000 miles, great bike but heavy and not quite as lively as some,
it did not like side winds, and was top heavy when full of fuel, many have been dropped
at very low speed or stopped due to this or the slightly suicidal side stand, but make
no mistake they are a good bike I covered near 500 miles a day at times on mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a PERFECT thread for me to chime in, because my fiance and I just augmented the stable with a '14 FZ-09 (mine) and an '09 DL650 V-Strom (hers). As others have mentioned, if you plan on parking your butt on this thing for more than an hour at a time, upgrade the seat (it's next on my to do list after a 150 mile ride this weekend). The V-Strom is a great riding bike, but I lust for a little more power (although being able to USE all the power on tap is fun!)

Is your commute mostly highway? If you want something efficient to get you from point A to B with good range, handling, and mellow controls, go with the V-Strom. If you like riding unicycles, flicking the bike through turns, unleashing gobs of torque and being a hooligan in general, get the FZ-09. Adding some hand guards, a fly screen and wearing some warm gear would probably make it just as enjoyable for those cold days.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I listed my GSX650F for fun... Little did I know I would be selling it. I then started looking at different bikes and nailed it down to the V-Strom 650 and an FZ-09.

I have owned many of the SV650's and loved them. MPG in the 50-65mpg range on those and would fully expect the same out of the V-Strom. I also love Suzuki's for being relatively bulletproof.

Looking at pricepoints, I could have gotten a 2013 V-Strom 650 leftover for $7300 locally. I then found a 2014 FZ-09 for $7599 locally. Add in the fact that I have never run a triple before and valve adjustments are 2x longer on the FZ, I bought the Yamaha.

Coincidentally, I am currently retrofitting a Madstad V-Strom-specific set of brackets so the Fizzer can except the slew of aftermarket screens for the V-Strom's. This will give me what I want as far as wind protection.

Don

·
Registered
340 Posts
No comparison.If you want comfort,tons of accesories and versatility and ABS,get the 2nd generation Vstrom 650(2012-on)
But if you gotta have the big hit of a badass motor and very cool looks,get the FZ-09.
For practicality the Vstrom beats it everywhere.
I solved the problem and got both.FZ-09 when I got an attitude and Vstrom when I'm in the real world.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Having owned both bikes, I can say they are very different machines.
DL650 is comfortable, decent wind protection (with madstad bracket), you can actually carry stuff without too much hassle, passenger friendly, good gas mileage, decent suspension, cheap to insure and fix, parts are readily available. The headlight kicks ass. It doesn't eat tires and chain/sprockets- they'll last a long time. It feels underpowered and heavy, ugly, and covered in lots of plastic. Just my opinions.
The FZ is light, fast, and fun. It looks damn sexy. It's no good for passengers, eats tires, has relatively few luggage options (band-aid type of solutions). Longer rides are fatiguing due to lack of wind protection.

Depends on how the bike will best serve your needs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have both bikes and this is thoughts.

The strom is the perfect wife, honest and reliable, gets up early, makes breakfast and packs you lunch, dinner is on the table when you get home, the washing and ironing is taken care of as is a mans every needs, she is happy for you to go camping with the boys every weekend and all with a minimum of fuss.

The 09 is the sexy whore that will always tease you, she will require more of your time, you will be getting your own food and doing your own washing but the ride is so much more fun than the wife has been putting out it is hard to say no.

I have the wife and the whore, it's the best of both worlds.

I always thought I would never part with my strom but if I was pushed to keep only one of them I would keep the whore, the ride is just to good to pass up, I whore would need some cash spent on her to get it the way I would want it but the sweet ride is worth it.

None of my mates would keep the whore they would all opt for the reliable old wife..

·
Registered
663 Posts
Now here's a guy that can use a metaphor. I've been trying to convince my wife of this philosophy for years.

I hate having to choose between practical and fun.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Just get the FZ

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have both bikes and this is thoughts.

The strom is the perfect wife, honest and reliable, gets up early, makes breakfast and packs you lunch, dinner is on the table when you get home, the washing and ironing is taken care of as is a mans every needs, she is happy for you to go camping with the boys every weekend and all with a minimum of fuss.

The 09 is the sexy whore that will always tease you, she will require more of your time, you will be getting your own food and doing your own washing but the ride is so much more fun than the wife has been putting out it is hard to say no.

I have the wife and the whore, it's the best of both worlds.

I always thought I would never part with my strom but if I was pushed to keep only one of them I would keep the whore, the ride is just to good to pass up, I whore would need some cash spent on her to get it the way I would want it but the sweet ride is worth it.

None of my mates would keep the whore they would all opt for the reliable old wife..
My little brother has a strom 650, he loves it. The above analogy is perfect. I'm divorced btw, little bro is still married.

·
Registered
833 Posts
More "touring products" are showing up all the time. Get a touring windshield on an FZ and call it a day. I use mine as a commuter and canyon carver.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Or wait and see if the FZ-07 will make it to the states. Yamaha has also announced they're unveiling something new in June and my speculation is it will be the new FJ-09 release. The FJ will have more wind protection and should prove to be a better tourer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own both but only have about 300 miles on the FZ-09. FYI I rode dirt bikes as a kid over 20 years ago and rode a can-am spyder bfore getting my first 2 wheeled street bike which is the 2012 vstrom 650. Very glad I started with the vstrom easy bike for me to learn street riding on. The only negative to the vstrom is it's a little top heavy and would be easy to drop if you're not paying attention. In the first year I owned the vstrom I put 10k miles on it. Enjoyed every one of them. I started itching for more power and bought the FZ-09. The short version of how they compare is the vstrom 650 reminds me why I like the FZ-09 and the FZ-09 reminds me why I like the vstom. They are both good bikes just at different things.

My concerns are that the FZ-09 may not be the best commuter on cooler days and that I may wish for more power from the Vstrom 650.
As far as commuting I ride my vstrom 52 miles one way for work 10 miles secondary 2 lane roads and 42 miles of interstate. The vstrom is suited much better to the commuting I do. It blocks the wind better, keeps the bugs off of me and is more comfortable. Granted the vstrom feels sick in the power department after riding the FZ-09 but I like having the ABS (haven't engaged it yet unintentionally). Before I got the FZ-09 the vstrom felt like it had good power. It accelerates much faster than the car I drive so it was a blast to drive until the FZ-09 came along...

When ever go to the dealership, I am Drawn to the FZ-09. It seams to say ride me. I like the riding position as the unobstructed view. The Vstrom says but I'm a more practical decision. I get better MPGs and can go farther on a tank fill and Im Also cheaper on insurance.
The FZ-09 is the sexy bike between the two and it draws me in too, but also lays the smack down on me sometimes. The vstrom has an unobstructed view for me as I'm looking over the windscreen. The MPGs I don't pay very much attention to as it's cheaper for me to drive my car (VW diesel) than to ride either bike. Now I really like the range on vstrom vs the FZ-09 sounds petty but it is nice to not to have stop for fuel as often. The FZ-09 cost me about 1.3 times as much on insurance.

So please advise me on your feelings about my choices.
If I had to pick one I would most likely pick the vstrom. The FZ-09 seduced me at first and I would have picked it hands down after the first ride on it, but after riding it a few more times the vstrom brings me back for the longer rides. (longer ride being more than an hour). I like the gauges on the vstrom better, the vstrom has an analog tach, the gauges are easier to see, there is a button on the left hand grip of the vstrom to change what is displayed, trip, temp, fuel economy etc. where on the FZ-09 I have to take a hand off the handlebar to do the same thing. There are many more farkles for the vstrom and lots of info on forums for the vstrom on how to customize. I'm sure the FZ-09 will get there in farkles and info on forms but it just isn't there yet. Also there are some vstrom enthusiast that make farkles for the bike at a reasonable cost. I haven't found any enthusiast making farkles for the FZ-09 yet. With time I figure the farkles will be available and more info will come but I don't think the gauges will change anytime soon.

If you are like Ricky Bobby and want to go fast get the FZ-09, if you want to ride in comfort and have ABS get the vstrom. If you're like me and can't decide if you want to go fast or ride in comfort, get both.

Brian

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow thanks for the info everyone.

I'm still undecided and I cannot make a final decision until my job contract is settled this week. The outcome of my current job contract will mean I will work 10 minutes from my home or an hour (with increase in pay to cover travel) So once I know Ill pick up my bike.

A dealer local to me has a leftover 2012 vstrom 650 adventure that was tagged at $7499; however, I'm thinking I could get that lower. The FZ-09 tag is now at $7848.
all though, I have concerns about the FZ-09 and the issues I've been reading about here on the forums. But that's a topic for another thread

1 - 17 of 17 Posts