Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I appreciate you guys offering your opinions since you know much more than I do about this stuff.

I ride with a group that will ride about 100 miles at a time. Since I am a teacher, I only have two more weeks at school and then have summer off (why I'm no longer a lawyer, but that's another story). Anyway, I'm planning on riding and want to make sure that I'm as safe as possible with the gear. I'm going to take BRC2 and ARC as soon as possible but am wondering about the safest stuff to wear.

The race guys wear full leathers, so I'm assuming that's the safest. I already have a Shoei FF helmet and TCX RS-2 race boots. My idea of full leathers now is a pair of chaps that I wear with Kevlar jeans and a Schott motorcycle jacket. I also have a bunch of other riding stuff, like a Tourmaster winter jacket and an Icon jacket and winter pants, that I don't think will help too much if I were to have a get off.

Is a motorcycle jacket and chaps as safe as race leathers, or should I really go out and get the race leathers?

As a woman, there aren't tons of options, but the good thing is, I'm lucky enough that I will only look as ridiculous as the women in the pictures wearing the gear. Dionese has a two piece set and so does SIDI. I would rather not spend 1k+ on leathers, but if they are safer than what I am currently doing, then I will.

How much impact protection is there with the leather track stuff? I have Bohn pants and a Leatt 3DF armored shirt, but I don't think that this will fit under the leathers.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the following? I do ride with mostly a Harley crew, so I'd like to reduce the ridiculousness, but that's also not the top priority.

Clothing Sportswear Tights Jacket Standing
Clothing Cycling shorts Sportswear Sleeve Leg Clothing Personal protective equipment Sportswear Outerwear Sleeve

I appreciate your opinions. I'm interested in safety here, but not looking like a power ranger would be great also.

Attachments

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Armored leather pants will be safer than chaps and Kevlar jeans.

I wouldn't worry about having a matching full set of leathers, but I would worry about making sure whatever leather jacket/pant combo I owned zipped together.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
554 Posts
+1 to what LuckyDevil said. Normally for street where I have leather pants and a textile jacket. They dont zip together at this point but will soon. I have a one piece suit for my upcoming first trackday, and I must say as it breaks in it feels awesome on the bike. I feel less bulky with it on and its got perforation all over the place so its going to be great for summer riding. One piece suits aren't as comfy once you get to the cafe and want to hang out! ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Cruiser styled gear typically is made for aesthetics rather than protection. The leather itself is sturdy enough but the stitching used to hold everything together is typically no better than what you might find on a casual wear jacket. Those two suits are great! Look for perforated leathers or else you will roast in the summer heat though.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think leathers work best on a racetrack. For everyday riding, sticking to something comfier and less "power-ranger" is my focus. For the city (everyday riding/commuting), I wear FF helmet, armored gloves, armored textile jacket, armored kevlar jeans and armored motorcycle sneakers. For touring, I replace the jeans with touring WP armored overpants and the sneakers with full length armored touring motorcycle boots.
So, when I get to work, not only am I protected but I look (mostly) just like any other guy on the street. For touring, when I know I Will be hitting higher speeds, I don't mind looking a bit like a power ranger but leathers are not my preference for the long stints that I do. Overpants are good because I can take them off easily if I decide to go for a hike somewhere. IMHO, if you are a 365 day rider like me, and unless you are going to the track, textile is the way to go. For the track, leather is the obvious choice.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've got bohn lowers and the leatte 3df... I wear mesh pants and jacket, armor removed with them. Or say in cooler weather I would have leather pants and jacket over them.

Lately I've been using armored shorts and shin/knee armor under mesh pants... Seems cooler and more comfy.

Some think under armor is better. I kindve agree as the over layer doesn't have to fit perfect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Race leathers will most likely be the safest.

Textile is definitely the most versatile. Especially if you have pants/jackets with layers. That being said, having a pair of jacket and pants that zip together is very good. Being comfortable is extremely important.

I have leathers, but for touring and around town I rock textile.

Take a look at something like this:

Waterproof, Layered. You can ride in a very wide range of climates.

REV'IT! Women's Sand Jacket - RevZilla
REV'IT! Women's Sand Pants - RevZilla

·
Registered
670 Posts
Okay, so I appreciate you guys offering your opinions since you know much more than I do about this stuff.

I ride with a group that will ride about 100 miles at a time. Since I am a teacher, I only have two more weeks at school and then have summer off (why I'm no longer a lawyer, but that's another story). Anyway, I'm planning on riding and want to make sure that I'm as safe as possible with the gear. I'm going to take BRC2 and ARC as soon as possible but am wondering about the safest stuff to wear.

The race guys wear full leathers, so I'm assuming that's the safest. I already have a Shoei FF helmet and TCX RS-2 race boots. My idea of full leathers now is a pair of chaps that I wear with Kevlar jeans and a Schott motorcycle jacket. I also have a bunch of other riding stuff, like a Tourmaster winter jacket and an Icon jacket and winter pants, that I don't think will help too much if I were to have a get off.

Is a motorcycle jacket and chaps as safe as race leathers, or should I really go out and get the race leathers?

As a woman, there aren't tons of options, but the good thing is, I'm lucky enough that I will only look as ridiculous as the women in the pictures wearing the gear. Dionese has a two piece set and so does SIDI. I would rather not spend 1k+ on leathers, but if they are safer than what I am currently doing, then I will.

How much impact protection is there with the leather track stuff? I have Bohn pants and a Leatt 3DF armored shirt, but I don't think that this will fit under the leathers.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the following? I do ride with mostly a Harley crew, so I'd like to reduce the ridiculousness, but that's also not the top priority.

View attachment 6556
View attachment 6553 View attachment 6554

I appreciate your opinions. I'm interested in safety here, but not looking like a power ranger would be great also.

There is another alternative. Bohn Armor. You wear these under your clothes. Get a good quality jacket and gloves and just get the Born pants. Wear these under Kevlar jeans. Is it as safe a full leathers? No, but at normal speeds it will save your butt. Something assless leather chaps will NOT do. This is what I wear 100% when I'm tooling around my home.

Bohn Armor - Product Detail

Sliders Bella Womens Kevlar Motorcycle Riding Jeans - Competition Accessories

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It's nice to see how Jen has a healthy Respect's for a Man's opinion regarding "Woman's Clothing."

Unless it's a compliment, wifey is deaf to my opinions about what she wears....:rolleyes:

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Jen,
my recommendation for a good setup for street riding that has a good balance of safety, comfort, and appearance off the bike is this:

Helmet (of course...I like the modular ones, they rock)

Good quality leather jacket (riding jackets have armor all over the place, and are constructed for crashing, which you can't say for the cruiser type jackets...get perforated for summer and non-perfed for the winter) I swear my jacket was my single favorite piece of gear, and makes you feel very secure. Alpinestars, Dainese are 2 good names, among others. I had a Wolf, which think is hard to find in the US

Textile pants (with armor, without knee pucks)...this is key for street riding. I had Dainese pants...they go over your boots, have good protection, and they look halfway normal when off the bike (going into the bank or coffee shop, or whatever)..mine had flaps that allowed for venting in the summer.

Gloves (dont get cheap ones) get gloves that go over your jacket sleeve and have lots of protection. You need your hands...protect them well

Boots (get race-style boots)...if they feel kind of like ski-boots then they are good. If you want to walk around, pack extra shoes in a backpack or tail bag. Good boots are stiff and designed for the bike...and crashing...not running marathons.

my $0.02

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got bohn lowers and the leatte 3df... I wear mesh pants and jacket, armor removed with them. Or say in cooler weather I would have leather pants and jacket over them.

Lately I've been using armored shorts and shin/knee armor under mesh pants... Seems cooler and more comfy.

Some think under armor is better. I kindve agree as the over layer doesn't have to fit perfect.
Same here with the Bohn/Leatt. I'm a big fan of that stuff. I have the mesh jacket/pants too, but I'm concerned if there is a crash, that our skin will get destroyed with the mesh. I've even heard that the mesh can melt into your skin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get a good ventilated jacket and some summer gloves and GO RIDE! You want to be protected but if you over do it....well it makes riding no fun

·
Registered
62 Posts
You need to be both comfortable and safe. If you are too hot in leathers, then you will be fatigued which can lead to mistakes. There are lots of textile options out there that are abrasion resistant at any sane speed for government paved roads, and allow amazing air circulation and versatility. Leather with padding in the impact points is the best, but if you are riding for hours in the hot summer sun, you will likely not enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the mesh stuff-pants and winter/summer mesh jackets, have the race boots, held gloves. Now that we are doing more riding, I am trying to find the safest stuff possible. Besides Kevlar, like from motorport, it seems that leather is the way to go. I ordered a pair of Revit leather race pants from Revzilla, so that's a start. The pucks will come off.

The Bohn stuff is great and that's what I wear with the Kevlar jeans, but I'm wondering if you crash with that, if it's enough to protect your skin. I do that once in a while, but am questioning the safety. The Bohn stuff doesn't fit with the Kevlar jeans and the chaps so it's either the jeans/chaps or the Kevlar jeans and the Bohn.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of short summer gloves, I prefer the extra wrist protection—and more importantly the reduced chance of the glove coming off in a crash—afforded by a full-gauntlet glove. There are summer/ventilated full gauntlet gloves available, that would be my recommendation.

And a big +1 to race-style boots (I have the ventilated Alpinestars SMX 5 boots and absolutely love them). As noted they can feel a bit restrictive compared to normal boots, but that's to protect your ankle/shin bone/etc. in the event of a crash.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've had an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit for over ten years and love it. It's a full body suit, zips on and off in five seconds, comes with full protection on shoulders, elbows, knees. Comfy collar can be worn up for winter or down for summer. Can add a back pad for $85. You'll come through the rain bone dry. Large zippers in back and underarms for ample ventilation. I'm cool even in the summer while moving. When stopped it will get hot, though. But for backroad summer rides and any riding the rest of the year, it's really perfect.

I had a Vanson perforated leather for a few years (very nice and also suitable for the track). And the Vanson leather was much hotter than the Aerostich, even with the perforations.

They have women's sizes:

Women's R-3 Light One Piece Suit - R-3 Light - One Piece Suits - Suits :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

And they will do custom alterations.

I think the light gray with ballistic hi-viz would look great with the gray FZ!

USA company.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I forgot to add that my Aerostich also has just enough room for a lightweight sleeveless fleece pullover underneath. I used the Aerostich and fleece combo when riding the Dragon one November with temps down to the 20s!

But again it's ventilated enough for summer riding as long as you're moving. And I live in FLA.

In the summer, I wear shorts and coolmax T-shirt underneath! But I still have full protection.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
People love the Aerostitch suits, especially the long distance guys.

Reactions: v2Bob
1 - 20 of 52 Posts