Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did your Evotech Performance Aluminium Radiator Guard come warped? I emailed Motostarz but they said that it will straighten out once mounted. I will try to mount it warped when I get home tonight.

Also, one of the tabs looks kind of bent when compared to the other three tabs.:confused:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
No worry... it will be all fine once assembly. I have the same and it was like that too. Nicest radguard out there for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did your Evotech Performance Aluminium Radiator Guard come warped? I emailed Motostarz but they said that it will straighten out once mounted. I will try to mount it warped when I get home tonight.

Also, one of the tabs looks kind of bent when compared to the other three tabs.:confused:
I had the same thing happen. it will fit just fine. My sure you mount under the brackets.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for confirming. I'll update the thread once I try the fitment tonight.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
same happened to me.. it straightens right out.

Be careful not to over torque the bolts. the threads are soft

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of my tabs was bent. I was able to bend it back straight but yes, the screen did straighten up once mounted. I did dabbed a little blue thread locker to allow myself to torque the screws snug :thumbsup:. I'm just a little disappointed that the tab came bent, if I am going to pay $100+ for a trashcan metal screen, it should at least come with better packaging/quality control.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
One of my tabs was bent. I was able to bend it back straight but yes, the screen did straighten up once mounted. I did dabbed a little blue thread locker to allow myself to torque the screws snug :thumbsup:. I'm just a little disappointed that the tab came bent, if I am going to pay $100+ for a trashcan metal screen, it should at least come with better packaging/quality control.
If you were 12 yo and making $100 a month in China... you won't give a $hit too! LOL :)

·
Registered
96 Posts

Thats exactly how mine looked too - I thought itd been damaged in the post but it fits fine and isnt noticable once fitted.

They did miss a bolt off mine though which was a stuff up so i had to go to the local hardware shop and had to do some creative work with washers to get it to fit while the genuine replacement bolt was in the mail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine came the same way. As soon as you put it on it straightens right out.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Man I just installed mine on the urging of the Motostarz.ca sales team, very disappointed in the quality, they should spent a few more minutes at the sheet metal bender and make these straight.

My unboxing vid showing how warped they are.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You obviously don't understand how perforated metal that has been embossed and formed acts.

The product is fine and installs easily. Mine came exactly like yours in the video. Go work in a metal shop for a bit and you'll understand.

I love the look and quality of mine, it mounted right up without any modifications or manipulating. You must not have researched and I assume when the first one came like that you didn't even bother installing.

For those looking into this product, know that it is fine and looks great in our bikes, don't let some who don't understand sheet work dissuade you.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
338 Posts
You obviously don't understand how perforated metal that has been embossed and formed acts.

The product is fine and installs easily. Mine came exactly like yours in the video. Go work in a metal shop for a bit and you'll understand.

I love the look and quality of mine, it mounted right up without any modifications or manipulating. You must not have researched and I assume when the first one came like that you didn't even bother installing.

For those looking into this product, know that it is fine and looks great in our bikes, don't let some who don't understand sheet work dissuade you.
I understand the principles well enough thank you, during the bending or likely the logo embossing they created an oil canning issue, and instead of trying to fix it, they ship it off and say its good enough.

Plus thats not the only issue for why I was shipped a replacement directly from Evotech:

Look at these tabs, not exactly precision bending here:

And lastly, this was damaged in route to either the reseller or to me:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
+1 for the Evotech Rad Guard, and yes it looks a bit bent until you install it and everything straightens out and fits just fine.

I went with the Evotech because it is the only rad guard that also wraps around the rad end tanks.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I understand the principles well enough thank you, during the bending or likely the logo embossing they created an oil canning issue, and instead of trying to fix it, they ship it off and say its good enough.

Plus thats not the only issue for why I was shipped a replacement directly from Evotech:

That one looks like it was damaged in shipping???? not even a mark on mine when it arrived.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Ok, first I've worked many years with all types of metal especially perforated metal when building displays for places like the Smithsonian so I know how a small piece of perforated metal will contort, this is normal.

As to your other pics, yes, that is crappy and looks like shipping damage or careless packaging not processing. I would have led with that then post video throwing a fit about the second one. You don't really show it but is the second one perfect other than the claimed "issue" of being bent? Gotta love ring knockers. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
That one looks like it was damaged in shipping???? not even a mark on mine when it arrived.
I agree, and so did Evotech, hence them direct shipping me a replacement. Getting nailed with tax and brokerage on top of it was another kick in the pants...

The one in the video is not scratched, but the tabs still aren't straight, and the warp is just as bad as the original. I have mounted it up as Motostarz assured they would refund my purchase and that it would look, and perform properly on the bike, and after straightening the tabs, I do admit its a lot better looking on the bike than it does on my coffee table.

For the cost of this unit, I would expect that all the tabs would be uniform at BARE minimum, this is two units in a row where the mounting points are not uniform.

I have conceded, that mounted up it looks solid. It doesn't contact the rad anywhere besides the mounting points, and the foam rubber. I will test ride it before making any firm conclusions.

Why do I feel this is important?
I had a rock damage the radiator on my last bike, the slow leak on a hot day went un noticed, I overheated the engine and had to rebuild the motor $$$. I ordered this guard before I took delivery of the bike, as I'm a little paranoid about it happening again. I've already had one rock dent the cooling fins in my first 1500kms. There's a lot of crap on BC and Alberta backroads...

Rant over, and...

I have a CNC mill and lathe in my workshop... stay tuned for FZ-09 parts as I get some time under my belt with the new bike...

Reactions: Res4cue
1 - 20 of 24 Posts