Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, yesterday evening, I was a a friends house for a little party and one of the folks that was there was a member of this forum and has a brand new ORANGE FZ09. She commented to me that her bike was "weird" in the fact that when the bike is in gear, side stand up, and the clutch pulled in, it would not start! I was like.......what? So, I had her get on the bike and put it in first gear, side stand up, clutch pulled in and low and behold, the bike would not start. I'm talking....not cranking over at all. So, my question is this......

Do any of you guys/gals with an Orange FZ09 has this same issue? I'm wondering if maybe it is an ECU thing. If y'all remember, the Orange bike was not originally going to be brought into the U.S. and was a European version. Yamaha, at some point in time, because of the overwhelming demand for the FZ09 not only stepped up the number of bikes that were going to be built for the U.S., but also added in the Orange model and brought it to the U.S. This is the only FZ09 that has the silver/grey colored frame, just like the European models.

So, Orange owners, please post up after you try your bike and let me know if yours will start under those conditions or if it won't.

I had her pull the clutch lever in and let it out and I could hear the clutch switch "click" when operated. I also had her start the bike while it was in neutral and then put it in first gear and then put the side stand down, which made the bike shut off, just like it is suppose to do. So, it appears that the clutch switch is working and the side stand switch is working. Let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had a similar problem on mine. The clutch lever switch connector was not plugged in all the way. Pushed it in until it clicked and I was good to go.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Gearhead.

Any others out there with this issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the issue is obviously something other than the ECU......like maybe the clutch switch plug isn't plugged in all the way. I'll let her know and maybe she can get it fixed without having to make an appt. and taking it back to the selling dealer. Thanks for all the replies........even if the Rapid Red is still the fastest one out there! :cool:

Reactions: RockSlyde

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Grey/Blurple 09 and it will only start in neutral. If the clutch is pulled in, sidestand up, and bike in gear, it won't start. Absolutely needs to be in neutral. Where is this clutch switch plug, so that I can check mine out?

Edit: Mine was unplugged too. Plugged it in and everything is how it should be.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have a Grey/Blurple 09 and it will only start in neutral. If the clutch is pulled in, sidestand up, and bike in gear, it won't start. Absolutely needs to be in neutral. Where is this clutch switch plug, so that I can check mine out?
It's the only electrical connector going to the clutch lever body that clamps to the bars... it's tucked under the cast part. I'd take a picture, but I'm watching hockey! :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
My liquid graphite 09 was doing the same thing.. It would only would start in neutral. Just checked the connector.. It was only half way plugged in, not even really plugged in just sitting in the slot.
Such an easy fix.. Can't believe I didn't think to check the connection..
Thanks guys!!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys for all the quick replies............Go Blues!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, that fixed the problem that I was asking about on the Orange bike in question. So apparently, it's not just an "Orange" issue, it's seems to be fairly common with the Graphite ones too. She is happy and I really appreciate all of the quick responses to the question.....just one of the many reason that this forum rocks! Thanks to all!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Will check mine between periods. Go Avs!
Nate had another great night! The Halifax Mooseheads miss him. They are down 2-0 in the QMJHL semi-finals. It doesn't look good for a Memorial Cup repeat.

........and so I am not completely hijacking the thread, my orange 09 starts in gear with the clutch lever pulled.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's the only electrical connector going to the clutch lever body that clamps to the bars... it's tucked under the cast part. I'd take a picture, but I'm watching hockey! :p
You're a liar! Canadians are known to NEVER watch hockey! Most don't even know what it even is LOL. GO RANGERS :p !!!!!

I stalled mine one time at a light when I first got it and it wouldn't start unless I put it in neutral. Checked out the wire at the clutch and it was just sitting there, not locked in.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to hi-jack my own thread here, but since the problem seems to be solved......it's OK.....

There's an old joke about hockey and Canada. It seems a Canadian guy was talking to an American guy about hockey and just going on and on. Finally, the American guy, getting tired of it said to the Canadian fella....."Ya know, it seems like up there in Canada, there ain't nothing but Hockey players and ho's..........and the Canadian fella said, my sister lives in Canada.....to which the American guy responded......oh yea, what team does she play on? :cool:

Reactions: Willowbilly

·
Registered
663 Posts
Now that the thread is is officially hijacked, I will share my side of the argument on NBA vs. NHL playoffs. Every spring, the guys at work would start arguing over which athletes are tougher. My evidence is as follows:

NBA: foul for slapping the other guy on the wrist, or getting in his way.

NHL: 2 minute penalty for misdemeanor assault. 5 minute penalty for felony assault.

NBA: Played wearing pajamas and sneakers.

NHL: Played after strapping two knives to your feet, and carrying a club.

That is all.
\

·
Registered
833 Posts
Nate had another great night! The Halifax Mooseheads miss him. They are down 2-0 in the QMJHL semi-finals. It doesn't look good for a Memorial Cup repeat.

........and so I am not completely hijacking the thread, my orange 09 starts in gear with the clutch lever pulled.
7pts in two games by an 18yr old. Awesome! He looks like he belongs, big time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I coach minor hockey and a couple of the players also play basketball......these photos made the rounds not too long ago

1912300_10152230043197808_1018781970_n.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Willowbilly
1 - 20 of 27 Posts