Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen bits of info scattered around the site for this, and it's becoming an issue I need to address faster than I had planned. I'm thinking of items I want powered on the bike, and I need to know how to get it all wired properly and safely. I'm decent with a soldering iron and electronics. I wired in a piggy back ECU for my car, built an LED lighted ghostbusters style backpack powered with switches and battery packs, etc.

I want to run these accessories and potentially have the capacity for more in the future:

1. Phone - standard USB car-charger kind of hookup.
2. Valentine One radar detector (which will have the bluetooth accessory to display on my phone, and/or use the concealed display, not certain which, yet)
3. Heated grips - only during colder temps
4. Probably a fuel controller like marthy's exhaust thread describes (future upgrade with an exhaust)

I found what seems like an inexpensive and easily made solution: http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

It seems like any pre-made solutions are much more expensive and are generally more limited in application.

Again, I'm a noob. What advice/experience/alternatives/solutions does the community have to offer?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Only thinknto worry about are the heated grip. The rest doesn't suck up too much juice. The controller is using the injector signal to feed itself, all you need tondonis by-pass all 3 injectors and connect the ground to the battery. For the rest, rig yourself a 30 amp relay thay switch on with the tail light connected directly to the battery. That's what I did on my 6R and it worked fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuzeblocks has a relay, switched, non-switched, and each connection is fused with a label area. It is the size of a pack of smokes and has several mounting options.

FUZEBLOCKS.COM
Thanks, I had seen the stuff you posted, but it wasn't coming up in my searches (I couldn't remember who had posted them, either :p )

In the owners manual they show how to connect to a provided switched connector under the seat .
Thanks for that tip. I did not know that connect was switched; the warning in the manual states that it will discharge the battery with the engine off, though I guess it doesn't clarify if it works with the ignition off. I have already purchased the appropriate connector.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I thought these bikes had a plug ready for an adapter behind the right side air intake? Has anyone tapped into that yet? I was going to use that for GPS, phone etc.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You can change each connection from switched to unswitched just by moving the fuse left or right between the 3 poles.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The AUX on the bike should be switched. Just take an idiot light to it and see if it is hot with the key off. I already have a couple of male adapters for it that I ordered online.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That connector is switched by the ignition switch. It only has a 2 amp fuse but the wiring could handle more than that if you put in a 5 amp fuse or so. You could power phones, radar detectors, GPS etc, without extra relays or fuse blocks. I'm using it for my GPS.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I plan on using the AUX to run a SAE cable to my tank bag connector. I will use a Fuzeblocks for my GPS - TAPP USB connector (Switched), Battery Tender SAE (Unswitched), Driving Lights (Switched).

·
Registered
25 Posts
The AUX on the bike should be switched. Just take an idiot light to it and see if it is hot with the key off. I already have a couple of male adapters for it that I ordered online.
Share with us what those connectors are. That would help (at least me) greatly. Where did you get them from?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm waiting on some stuff coming from twisted throttle (oxford grips, tpx radar detector wiring)
I'll post up my ghetto fuse block set up. It's all of $12.
but then you have to buy fuses:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts