Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to kind of consolidate all the cargo options into one place. Again, approaching this from a noob's perspective. I would like to be able to do things like trips for groceries (I eat very little pre-packaged foods, mostly produce and meat and dairy), take longer trips to see friends in Detroit & Chicago (5 hours) including my laptops (double-laptops and telecommuter thanks to Hewlett-Packard and Fannie Mae contract :p - I work from home, rarely go into the office, so no need to worry about carrying work-clothes along, just some on-the-town clothing); so I have some questions for all you experienced folks. I see there is some info scattered around the forum, so I'd like to kind of consolidate the options into one place (for me and for future readers). In my case, no need to worry about passengers, either.

1. what are the pros/cons to soft bags vs hard cases? what about tank bags?
2. what are the typical mounting options?
3. how much can I expect to spend?
4. is it realistic to think I can wear a loaded backpack on longer rides?
5. is there a need to pay special attention to weatherproofing?
6. is it realistic to do week-long trips with the fz-09? (not necessarily mean riding for a week, but having enough space for clothes for a week)
7. what is your solution and why?

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Let me start out by noting that I do not have a FZ-09 yet.
But I consider myself a [more] sport [and somewhat]touring kind of guy
I currently own a 6th Gen Honda VFR800A that is basically one of the best ST bikes around and before that I owned a 5th Gen VFR800.
The 5th gen I had soft bags, the 6th gen I have hard bags.

1. what are the pros/cons to soft bags vs hard cases? what about tank bags?
If money permits, I would go with a good set of hardbags over softbags any day.
They are more sturdy/secure, don't flop around at speed, and are waterproof.

2. what are the typical mounting options?
Not sure what mounting options are out there for the FZ-09 yet.
I really hope SW motech makes a nice, clean tail bracket for the FZ (so I can mount a nice 46L topcase on that bad boy).

3. how much can I expect to spend?
A set of mounting brackets / nice hard topcase can run you close to $500 new.
But you can always find used top cases to easy the pain.

4. is it realistic to think I can wear a loaded backpack on longer rides?
I would not suggest it. It will take a toll on your back.
Although I have friends that swear by Kriega.

5. is there a need to pay special attention to weatherproofing?
If you think you'll be caught in the rain with precious cargo (electronics/important paperwork, etc.) it's definitely something to think about!

6. is it realistic to do week-long trips with the fz-09? (not necessarily mean riding for a week, but having enough space for clothes for a week)
I don't see why not. My buddy does some sport touring rides on his Stripple with us. He has a 46L topcase and he is good to go!

7. what is your solution and why?
My solution will be a 46L topcase on my next bike (The Niner). I currently have two 21L side cases and a 37L top case and don't think all that is necessary for my needs. (I pack light on trips).

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Topcases are, in the nicest way I can say, UGLY. The FZ-09 is a NAKED bike. I have ridden adventure bikes all over the world. I use hard side cases and bungee a waterproof bag on the back of the seat if I am gone for 10+ days. My wife clipped a pole at a tollbooth in Spain not being used to hardcases, and promptly went down. When I ride to the races for a 4 day weekend, I use a tankbag and a tailbag that I strap on. The following link is to the tailbag that I plan on using for those trips. Also, I ride with a Camelback drink pack on trips to the races, but try to keep the weight down so as not to strain my neck.

Bags-Connection EVO Cargobag motorcycle luggage system - TwistedThrottle.com

CamelBak | H.A.W.G NV 3L Hydration Pack All Weather Mountain Biking

View attachment 839

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Topcases are, in the nicest way I can say, UGLY. The FZ-09 is a NAKED bike.
I could not agree more with you.
But for me it's the best option (it would be off the bike 70% of the time).
My buddy's Sv with a 46L (I don't think it looks horrendously awful) :

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I built my own rack with a set of Givi E-21 and a large $40.00 top case from fleebay. The hardware for the Givi cost me under $30.00... if you can fab something up it get much cheaper and you could have something done right away.

054.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's what might work for you, really.
my super tenere has two 45L givi EN45 cases, with removable racks, and a 1 gal rotopax for fuel (got me out a jam once, and my buddies several times)
Givi Rapid Release Tubular Sidecase Racks (Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere, '11-) - XT1200Z Super Tenere '11-'13 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com
Aux Tank, Pelican case install ? thetenerist
They are great. Waterproof, lockable, and removable, sturdy (dropped a few times on some tasty things.. ie: rivers, rocks and the like)
I run a sw motech GS tank bag (25L), with a removable tank ring that fits my camera, tire repair kit etc..
Bags-Connection "GS" EVO Quick-Lock Tankbag for SW-MOTECH Gascap Mounting System - XT1200Z Super Tenere '11-'13 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

I got a reply back from GIVI Europe, informing me that they will have product available for the FZ9, early next year. Ideally I would like removable side racks, so I can simply mount one of my 45L cases to the right side, and commute to work daily, scratch, and s.tour on the fz9. It's far better looking IMO, and makes for better visibility in your mirrors.

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
For handling a top case is the worst place to be putting weight.
Very true.
I just like the fact that they are usually very easy to replace... whereas side cases have unsightly brackets after removing them... such as this:

Soft cases aren't destroyed during an argument with gravity.
I've had a down with my hard side cases and they acted as sliders (and saved my fairings from being scratched up)...

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Sent SW Motech an e-mail last night:

ME:

Hello,

I was wondering if you will be making a top case bracket for the 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 (US) or MT-09 (EU)?

I currently have a SW-Motech top case bracket on my 2004 Honda VFR800A and I completely love it. It's very sturdy and looks great on the bike.

I really hope you make something similar for the FZ-09.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
y3v

They replied a few hours later with:

Hi y3v,

We’re on it. Please let us time to finish up our product line. The MT-09 isn’t really released in Germany yet.

You will find all available products in our Webshop, as soon, as they’re finished:

nach Motorrad oder Scooter - YAMAHA - MT-09 - SW-MOTECH & BAGS-CONNECTION

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Pierre Jauch
Sales

I am excited to see what they come up with!

·
Registered
206 Posts
whoa,

that rear rack looks great. I'm guessing they will have an adaptor plate that goes on it..
much better than that pile of a rack that givi made for my 01 vfr

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
whoa,

that rear rack looks great. I'm guessing they will have an adaptor plate that goes on it..
much better than that pile of a rack that givi made for my 01 vfr
Yeah, there are adapter plates for nearly every top case manufacturer.
It [SW Motech rack] was a little more pricey than the Givi, but it looks 110% better.

No comparison:

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
I also wrote on Givi's FB wall earlier today:

Me: Hey, are you guys working on a top case rack system for the 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 / MT-09?!
I didn't see anything on your website.

GIVI USA Motorcycle Accessories: We generally won't put items on the website until they are available. This motorcycle made it to the R&D Department around the 18th of October and it appears that we are working on a top case and Easylock side case application as well as a windscreen. These will hopefully be complete around the end of this month and should hit the distribution centers within the first quarter of 2014.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yep, no argument on the sw motech with adapter plate. The givi rear rack is hideous.
If they do make a removable side rack that would be nice, and my 1st choice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm interested in a big tank bag as well as some saddlebags. I was hoping they would kind of give me something to hug during longer rides but now that I think about it I worry that it may hamper my ability to move across the tank during aggressive cornering. Does anyone have experience with a large tank bag getting in the way of switching from one side to the other?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bags Connection stuff is nice, a little pricey me thinks. That said, I've got an Engage and City tank bags, the Engage fit s the FZ tank well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm interested in a big tank bag as well as some saddlebags. I was hoping they would kind of give me something to hug during longer rides but now that I think about it I worry that it may hamper my ability to move across the tank during aggressive cornering. Does anyone have experience with a large tank bag getting in the way of switching from one side to the other?
Yes I do.
Stole the tank ring adaptor from my tenere, and transferred it over to the fz.
I have the GS bag (25L), and it fits the FZ ok. You have to put some pressure on the ring, through the bag, so when it will come time to re-fill, that maybe an issue.
The bag does not interfere with any side to side movement. I'll take pics tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts