Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found something strange today…well at least strange to me anyway.
I was making something to attach to the mirror and I was very careful to make both sides the same. When I mounted my latest thingamajob…WTF???? One side pointed about 20 degrees or more different from the other side. Now I know there was no way that I made my brackets that far off so I got to looking and discovered that the angle between the clutch lever and the mirror post is 20 degrees or more different than the angle between the brake lever and its mirror post. Because I am not sure I am describing this clearly enough her is a sketch of what I am talking about. (The green box represents the other mirror post.)

Diff.JPG

I have never noticed this on any other bike I have owned. Were they like that and I just didn’t notice? Was the engineer drunk when he drew up the lever drawings? This beats the heck out of me. Has anyone else noticed this? What is the purpose of doing this?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Bernoulli's principle!

That's my guess!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bernoulli's principle!

That's my guess!
Hummm, so let me guess, one side of the bike is heaver than the other side or has a different aerodynamics so to correct this they mounted the mirrors differently to compensate...BUT...it only works up to 132 MPH...thus the speed limiter? :booty:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i noticed this as well. it's normal from what i can see. if you try to rotate the right mirror post forward to match the left, the brake lever ends up being a lot lower than the clutch lever.

you can adjust it however you want though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I noticed this "issue" on mine too... it seems to be the standard. It may have something to do with keeping the brake reservoir level with the bars turned, for service and fluid level checks, while keeping the lever in a comfortable position for the rider. Why doesn't the clutch lever match? ... maybe the old parts bin was overflowing and no one made the effort to redesign the parts to match? ... or maybe no one noticed, or cared that the mirror stalks don't line up when the levers do... :sad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts