Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had never had a motorcycle with a slipper clutch. I decided to by the OEM parts and update my 2016 FZ-09 to have the slipper/assist clutch. So what did I get for the time and money? I can now drop all the way to 1st gear in those tight switch back corners without being perfect on the rev matching and the bike does not get upset. If you ride aggressively, it's money well spent. If you don't ride very aggressive, save your money unless you desire the other side effect of a lighter clutch pull.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Been often thinking about this next... Thing is, with my auto-blipper the bike is seamless so I am not sure if I'll gain much here. Maybe when my arthritis acts up more I'll do it simply for the lever feel.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Y'all guys are killing me. Quickshifters, slipper clutches, auto blippers. All sorts of electro gizmos and other gadgets I've never wanted suddenly are beckoning to me!

So the clutch lever pull really does get lighter with the slipper clutch?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Y'all guys are killing me. Quickshifters, slipper clutches, auto blippers. All sorts of electro gizmos and other gadgets I've never wanted suddenly are beckoning to me!

So the clutch lever pull really does get lighter with the slipper clutch?
Yes it does ! pulling against 3 springs instead of 5 ! Much lighter pull !

·
Registered
371 Posts
Been often thinking about this next... Thing is, with my auto-blipper the bike is seamless so I am not sure if I'll gain much here. Maybe when my arthritis acts up more I'll do it simply for the lever feel.
IIRC, you've got the Woolich setup? Just quickshifter and auto blipper, or do you also have the auto warmup and pit lane thing?

Is the quickshifter something you can turn off if you don't feel like using it?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
IIRC, you've got the Woolich setup? Just quickshifter and auto blipper, or do you also have the auto warmup and pit lane thing?

Is the quickshifter something you can turn off if you don't feel like using it?
Yeah, I have the Woolich with Race Tools package. It has QS/AB, warm up, and launch control which I’ve never used. The pit lane speed limiter would work but you need the gps module. The quick shifter could be turned off by unplugging your clutch switch at the lever.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah, I have the Woolich with Race Tools package. It has QS/AB, warm up, and launch control which I’ve never used. The pit lane speed limiter would work but you need the gps module. The quick shifter could be turned off by unplugging your clutch switch at the lever.
Thanks for the explanation. Do you know if there's any other side effects to having the clutch switch unplugged? I feel like I've heard something about that but I don't really know. If it's that simple then a bar mounted switch wired inline with the clutch switch would be convenient.

Wait, does using the clutch normally ( operating the clutch switch) automatically turn the system "off"? So when you ride normally it just overrides anyway?

Can you tell I know just enough to get in trouble? 😂

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Do you know if there's any other side effects to having the clutch switch unplugged? I feel like I've heard something about that but I don't really know. If it's that simple then a bar mounted switch wired inline with the clutch switch would be convenient.

Wait, does using the clutch normally ( operating the clutch switch) automatically turn the system "off"? So when you ride normally it just overrides anyway?

Can you tell I know just enough to get in trouble? 😂
I may have this backwards, because I can't remember... but the switch is normally closed when the clutch lever is out. With the switch unplugged, the bike electronics will think the clutch is pulled in. If you have a cruise control system, it won't work. If you have a QS, it too won't work... if you leave the bike in gear and go to start it without pulling in the clutch, the bike will lurch with the starter.

Can't really think of much else it would effect.

Yes, if you use the clutch manually, it should disable it... just matters which got the signal first, the clutch switch of the strain gauge on the shifter. My clutch switch is bypassed because I broke it... :LOL:

·
Registered
371 Posts
The stock Yamaha QS can be turned off/on but only when stationary
This is why I was curious. I saw that they gave that option so I assumed they had a good reason for it. But if Brent says the aftermarket ones are transparent when not in use that's good enough for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts