Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just as title says; changed it this past weekend and the bike is definitely slower, less responsive and choppy when shifting. Power wheelies in 1st gear require starting from a higher RPM or more throttle. When I had 10-40 in my bike it rev'd higher and with ease than the 15-50. Anyone else experience this when changing to a different oil? Every change has been with Mobil 1.... oh well. Using up what I have left then going back to 10-40.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I wouldn't think that 15-50 would make a noticeable difference in summertime where you live. In cold winter climes or temps I would run 10-40. It's possible your old oil-you didn't mention how many miles on it-was breaking down viscosity wise as it aged and now with fresh oil it just feels slower to you. Maybe as the fresh oil accumulates some miles, it will 'loosen up' in your motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run synthetic 0-40 in all of my water cooled bikes. I've burned up too many engines from oil starvation with 10-40 and 15-50.

With these newer motorcycles it's not so much about oil "weight" giving a cushion as it is about the flow requirements. Tolerances are so tight that low-viscosity oils are almost a requirement to get enough flow to provide that reduced cushion layer (as well as to carry away the heat and dirt, the primary and secondary purposes of lubricating oil).

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Just as title says; changed it this past weekend and the bike is definitely slower, less responsive and choppy when shifting. Power wheelies in 1st gear require starting from a higher RPM or more throttle. When I had 10-40 in my bike it rev'd higher and with ease than the 15-50. Anyone else experience this when changing to a different oil? Every change has been with Mobil 1.... oh well. Using up what I have left then going back to 10-40.
All oils will shear out of spec fairly quick in a motorcycle as the engine shares the same oil with the transmission. Gears and clutch plates are hard on oil and your 15-50 will become 10-40 in a few hundred miles. So just ride it and don't worry.

This is the same reason that you should change the oil in your bike more frequently than you do in your car.

I change mine every 1500 miles and I do notice a small difference how the bike shifts when I have fresh oil in the engine.

Next time you change your oil save a sample of the old oil and then compare it with the new oil you are putting in the bike. Watch the difference how they pour and also rub a little between your fingers. You can see and feel that the old oil is not as thick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts