Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
No.

Get the 14612.

The 14610 is longer, and fitting it behind the header, is tough.

I always use Pure One filters, based on tests Ive seen. $6.50 at Amazon, free 2 day ship.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I use the K&N KN204..I prefer it because of the 17mm nut on the end....it makes it easy to get on and off.....
[h=1][/h]

Reactions: beck and Sho

·
Registered
260 Posts
As of yesterday when i ordered Motosport has oem yamaha filters for $7.50.A good price i thought!
That is a good price. Changed my oil the first day of ownership and the "out the door price" of an oem filter from local dealership was just shy of $18!
Changed my oil yesterday at 1,006 miles and used the Purolator L14612 ($4.13 + tax).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Interesting.
I went to this site Oil filter cross reference and put in the Yamaha part number 5GH-13440-50-00
and it came up with ML16817 amongst about a hundred other filters, including the Fram PH6017A.

But I have to say that the price of filters has gone thru the roof recently

·
Registered
224 Posts
That is a good price. Changed my oil the first day of ownership and the "out the door price" of an oem filter from local dealership was just shy of $18!
Changed my oil yesterday at 1,006 miles and used the Purolator L14612 ($4.13 + tax).
I ordered afew of the oem from motosport for that price. My dealer charged me 15$ for a oil filter,two for one is worth it! Plus my dealer hates to discount anything!! lol

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Strange... Amazon says the Purolator L14612 doesn't fit the FZ09. What am I missing here?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Come on! Disbelieve what AMAZON says?
Do they make this filter in rapid red? (jk)

·
Registered
154 Posts

PL14612 on bike, it fits fine.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Just a word of caution regarding Purolator filters.

I have seen cut away filter comparisons and Purolator does have more media than most filters and is well constructed. But to a fault on some applications.

Certain cars have reported a reduction of oil pressure using Purolator filters. When I had my Ninja 1000 I tried a Purolator filter. When I started the bike after oil and filter change it took a very long time for the oil light to extinguish. As a result I switched back to Bosch.

Just saying is it possible to have too much of a good thing. In the case of Purolator the abundance of filter media can be a problem on some applications.

·
Registered
730 Posts
More likely the filter you chose lacked an anti-drainback flap. Horizontally-mounted filters will empty without one...

Reactions: Steve101
1 - 17 of 17 Posts