Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XSR9, Shock Factory M rear, K-Tech fork pistons
154 Posts
Engines are much cleaner now. When I stated my mechanics apprenticeship in 1968 getting a "decarb" at 20 or 30,000miles was normal.
Hey Lou, you best me to it by a couple of years! My apprenticeship began in 1970 when engines were being rebored before 100.000 miles and I still have the callouses on my hands from lapping in valves at 30/40 thousand miles!
Oils, fuels and metallurgy have moved on a lot since although it's a nonsense that European engines are still chewing up camchains and sprockets due to cost cutting measures sourcing cheap materials........

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
Went for a ride today, ambient temperature around 0°C and engine at 71°C. Last night a trip to the city, got stuck in traffic and engine temp 90°C -fan kicks in. When traffic clears engine temp 70-75°C.
That seems to be perfect temps for an engine that has been flashed. I live in Florida and my bike runs about 165F when I'm cruising around in 80F weather. My fan kicks on at 208F and it has never gone beyond 212F since it was flashed. My point is that vcyclenuts flash lowered the operating temps about 10 to 15 degrees cooler on average.
This seems not to be the case with the OP here because if his bike were flashed the fan wouldn't require 220+ to turn on. Personally I would replace the radiator cap and the coolant just see what happens.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Beyond today's cleaner fueling systems, modern metallurgy and oil technology has helped a lot. Along with things like water jacket design/placement. When bores are able to stay round and keep crankcase oil out of the combustion chamber, carbon buildup is greatly reduced. Vehicles really are better than they've ever been.
Except for ease of access. We could probably have had the head off and stripped before you can get to the heaad bolts on a modern engine. Maybe even completed the whole job.
A VW engine took 15 - 20 minutes to remove. Same with a Fiat 500.

Reactions: Shinyribs

·
Registered
270 Posts
Except for ease of access. We could probably have had the head off and stripped before you can get to the heaad bolts on a modern engine. Maybe even completed the whole job.
A VW engine took 15 - 20 minutes to remove. Same with a Fiat 500.
Its a good thing reliability has improved on consumer engines. Wouldn't want the engine to be like old Ferrari engines to get some power out of it🤔

·
Registered
154 Posts
That seems to be perfect temps for an engine that has been flashed. I live in Florida and my bike runs about 165F when I'm cruising around in 80F weather. My fan kicks on at 208F and it has never gone beyond 212F since it was flashed. My point is that vcyclenuts flash lowered the operating temps about 10 to 15 degrees cooler on average.
This seems not to be the case with the OP here because if his bike were flashed the fan wouldn't require 220+ to turn on. Personally I would replace the radiator cap and the coolant just see what happens.
Surely the only way to affect the operation of the coolant temperature is to alter the fuelling by richening the mixture thereby cooling the engine? There's nothing in the flash/remap than can electronically change the temps.................... @vcyclenut

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Its a good thing reliability has improved on consumer engines. Wouldn't want the engine to be like old Ferrari engines to get some power out of it🤔
Sure is, 150 to 200 hp/litre from everyday car engines with 5 year warranties was a fantasy even 25 - 30 years ago.

·
Vendor
1,987 Posts
Surely the only way to affect the operation of the coolant temperature is to alter the fuelling by richening the mixture thereby cooling the engine? There's nothing in the flash/remap than can electronically change the temps.................... @vcyclenut

yea its just a combination of everything and the motor being tuned properly

·
Registered
154 Posts
Most engines do - usually at the rpm that emissions and noise are tested, the exact rpm is determined by the engine stroke dimensions.
Look at any power/torque curve of a stock engine and you'll observe the dip in n the graph where weakness comes in as seen in the graphs.
Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

·
Registered
270 Posts
Most engines do - usually at the rpm that emissions and noise are tested, the exact rpm is determined by the engine stroke dimensions.
Look at any power/torque curve of a stock engine and you'll observe the dip in n the graph where weakness comes in as seen in the graphs. View attachment 173279
So this is why they put all the restrictions in the ecu, cant get more power and meet the emissions without destroying the engine?

·
Registered
154 Posts
So this is why they put all the restrictions in the ecu, cant get more power and meet the emissions without destroying the engine?
Flash tuning won't destroy the engine unless the rev limit is raised to an unacceptacle level. All the flash is doing is giving back to the owner what the engine is capable of producing anyway.
I've done a bit of diesel tuning in the past - these are where you get the greatest gains, 30 - 35% in power and torque are not uncommon - all you have to do is make sure the engine is serviced at the correct intervals.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Flash tuning won't destroy the engine unless the rev limit is raised to an unacceptacle level. All the flash is doing is giving back to the owner what the engine is capable of producing anyway.
I've done a bit of diesel tuning in the past - these are where you get the greatest gains, 30 - 35% in power and torque are not uncommon - all you have to do is make sure the engine is serviced at the correct intervals.
Ok, I meant that you cant maximize engine performance without breaking emission regulations. Wont it damage the engine in the long run if you keep it to lean on the fuel?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ok, I meant that you cant maximize engine performance without breaking emission regulations. Wont it damage the engine in the long run if you keep it to lean on the fuel?
I'd imagine the Factories have that one worked out and it's over such a narrow rev range then it really shouldn't have much effect to longevity. Someone with more tuning knowledge than me will be able to give a better answer..............
Remember the VW emissions "scandel" That happened because a smart engineer worked out that he could get the emissions down on the test rolling road to an "acceptable" level if the car's steering was completely stationary, using a different "map"; which would never be the case in normal driving conditions - clever but only because the bureaucrats wanted impossible emission levels...................

41 - 60 of 67 Posts