Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
584 Posts
This is my question actually......asking if running 154 degrees is normal for the CP3 or not.
It's normal when running in cooler weather.

I mean for all I know, the previous owner slapped in a lower temp thermostat and filled thebsystem with only water.
Nah, you can't replace the thermostat without destroying the housing it's in, it's not designed to be replaceable like that.

Any time you buy a used bike unless you know the owner well, you should always be suspicious of what's been done. People do stupid shit.

· Registered
584 Posts
I've seen temps go down to the 130's, riding in cold downpours. Thermostat only manages coolant flow through the radiator, it can't do anything about cooling done to the rest of the engine.

P.S. The Gen3's run a 175 degree thermostat, and it looks very similar to the one on previous bikes. It might even bolt straight up, don't hold me to that though...

· Registered
584 Posts
Ok, I meant that you cant maximize engine performance without breaking emission regulations. Wont it damage the engine in the long run if you keep it to lean on the fuel?
No, because where they lean it out is under light load conditions, basically when you're just cruising on the highway at small throttle openings and you're not asking much from the engine. When you get on the throttle, it won't run lean. If anything, they tend to run it slightly rich to be on the safe side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts