Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm nearing my purchase date (March 1st or later) and I'm seeing fewer available MT-09's (2019 - Ice Fluo) available in my area. I suspect I'll have to head up towards Los Angeles (70 -150+ miles) to look and potentially purchase the bike. If anyone had to do this before, did you simply try to get an OTD price over the phone, find the lowest, and go from there? I want to trade my bike in as well and it doesn't make sense to drive it all over in the hopes I can get a good purchase.

My options:
1. Buy the bike and trade it in there
a. Phone places and try and get an OTD price
b. Make a day of it and hope for the best (my very last choice)

2. Buy the bike (option 1a) and sell my bike locally.

Any advice for a "longer" distance purchase? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd try to sell your bike locally first, you'll get more money vs a trade in.

I relied on email. Emailing a handful of places and seeing if they'd give me a good OTD price. Most places that I'd be going to were over an hour out.
If you go the trade in route, I wouldn't mention your bike until you get an OTD price.
Even if you're looking to take a loan out, I'd take the higher loan and sell your bike locally then use the sale to put into the loan and save on interest. Not sure where you're finances are but I ended up charging my entire bike onto a 0% credit card since I'd already planned on paying it off in under a year and the sign on CC bonus paid for the 3% I was charged to use a CC.

I was able to talk to a dealer about an hour from me and show him the price I was offered from a 5 hour away dealership and with the Yamaha cash, was able to get a 2019 XSR900 for $7500 (+state tax).

Took a little bit of time and contacting several dealerships until I got the price I was happy with.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Even though the ice flow looks sweet I'd go for a used FZ. Less taxes, less insurance, and no surprise fees or BS from a dealer. You might get lucky and find one with some up grades or low mileage. Cycle trader is full of used FZ's and with the money you save you could buy some cool stuff for your new ride. From reading this forum you know that the FZ is reliable and can go for well over 100, 000 miles with some basic up keep. Do your homework and keep us posted on what you buy.

·
Registered
392 Posts
+1 on selling your bike locally and independently.
Bit more of a hassle, but you'll definitely get more $$ that way.
Helps if you have a friend or know someone that's a Notary for the title.

I bought my FZ from the dealership, cash, and was in and out within 1.5 hours. (Including test riding.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was hell bent on a 19 ice fluo last year, but after finding one nearby and dealing with a shady salesman who told me 8500 and then came back with a number near 10k after "fees" I laughed at him and left.

Then I found my 18 in Night Fluo is what I think its officially called for 6250 on ebay. In my short years I've learned that patience does really pay off.

I hope you get the bike and stick around here, it's always entertaining.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I caught the plague and wasn't able to check back on this until today. I appreciate all of the advice and will just be patient. If I have to hold off until the 20's go on sale, I might do that as well. I will definitely sell my locally and hope I can get that done and not have to wait too long to put something new in the garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts