Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I came to the decision that I'm going to get a windscreen for the FZ09. I'm gonna go with a touring model since I do long day rides and I'll be taking the bike on a 900+ mile trip this summer with about 75% of the riding on the highway.

I've narrowed my choice down to 2 options: the puig touring and the fabbri touring.

I can't figure out which one I should get. I like everything about the design of the Puig except for that little dimple in the front. That is honestly the one thing that is keeping me from buying it. The Fabbri doesn't have the dimple but it's a little too flat for my likes.

Based on what I've read online about the two screens, they seem to perform about the same in terms of reducing wind on the chest and redirecting it towards the upper part of the helmet (for my height, 5'11", 32in inseam).

Does anyone have the Puig or Fabbri in the dark black gloss versions of their bike that they can post (preferably the blazing orange, but it doesn't have to be--after all, we can't all have the best color ;) ). If I can get some better pictures (especially of the Fabbri), I can make a better informed decision.

Thanks for the help 'gents!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I can't speak for the fabbri, but I have the Puig touring screen and it did wonders for me...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can't speak for those screens but I have a MSR double bubble screen on mine that is very nice for my 6'3" frame. And if I tuck in a couple inches I'm completely under the slipstream. Costs around $110 on twistedthrottle.com

Screenshot_2015-05-02-09-42-56.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just got back last weekend from a 2400 mile trip from Michigan to Tennessee, S Carolina, N Carolina and Georgia. I bought the Puig Touring for the trip and was really happy with both the looks and the performance, for me the small dimple works, it adds a little interruption to an otherwise flat sheet of plastic. I also own the small OEM shield (if you can call it that) which I installed when I got home for around town but believe me the next time I hit the open road the Puig is going back on

fz-09IMG_7459.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got back last weekend from a 2400 mile trip from Michigan to Tennessee, S Carolina, N Carolina and Georgia. I bought the Puig Touring for the trip and was really happy with both the looks and the performance, for me the small dimple works, it adds a little interruption to an otherwise flat sheet of plastic. I also own the small OEM shield (if you can call it that) which I installed when I got home for around town but believe me the next time I hit the open road the Puig is going back on

View attachment 16595
Can u post a pic from the front with that screen on? I'm trying to decide whether I want the touring or the sport shield

·
Registered
673 Posts
+1 Puig Touring.

Originally bought the Puig Sport, but it was aiming wind under my helmet. Traded with another forum member and the touring screen has worked out awesome.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the PUIG touring screen (at least that's what the box says...), but it aims wind about 1" below my chin. My helmet is in disruptive air, so if I turn from side to side, it does wear my neck out on the interstate. It did make a world of difference to the amount of blast into my chest, though, and overall I'm happy with it. I've recently added 3/16" shims to the top mounting bolts, to hopefully deflect the air into my helmet directly, but it didn't make a noticable difference at all.

I'm looking at photos of the touring screen, though, and I'm not sure I have the touring model afterall. Mine looks a lot shorter than that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the PUIG touring screen (at least that's what the box says...), but it aims wind about 1" below my chin. My helmet is in disruptive air, so if I turn from side to side, it does wear my neck out on the interstate. It did make a world of difference to the amount of blast into my chest, though, and overall I'm happy with it. I've recently added 3/16" shims to the top mounting bolts, to hopefully deflect the air into my helmet directly, but it didn't make a noticable difference at all.

I'm looking at photos of the touring screen, though, and I'm not sure I have the touring model afterall. Mine looks a lot shorter than that.
The sport screen is about flush with the instrument cluster. As you can see from my pic the touring screen goes a couple of inches above the cluster.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
The Puig sport screen is actually below the instrument cluster, whereas the touring model is above. Aesthetically, it looks a lot better and makes sense to deflect the air before it and the bugs can hit the cluster. Porsche, I tilted my touring screen forward with washers as well and it didn't work. I think it actually closed the gap below the screen, which created some turbulence.

Overall, I like the Puig touring screen. It totally eliminates wind blast on my upper torso.

Hawkerjet and several others got the MRA double bubble and really like them a lot. Both the MRA and Puig are around $110.

Here are some pics of my Puig. Sorry, no orange FZ.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Puig is going to be a lot more functional. The Fabbri screens in general sacrifice a little bit in the way of functionality for their unique style. So basically it's a question of whether you're doing this for function or for style. I have the MRA double bubble and the way it redirects air keeps windblast off my chest but ends up increasing wind noise on the helmet. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it for the long haul or not.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Unless you mount a barn door, have a very short upper torso or ride in a racing tuck, I doubt that you'll keep your helmet out of the wind. Naked bikes put a lot of wind blast and turbulence on the upper body. In my opinion, the right size flyscreen will clean up the turbulence and eliminate the wind on your chest. Ideally, the wind should start at the your shoulders. A good helmet and earplugs will reduce windnoise enough to make it reasonably comfortable and a good helmet design will not lift or jerk your head sideways when you're doing lane checks. My new Nexx helmet is pretty close to being unaffected by the wind. I swapped back one day to my Shoei Multitec just to compare and the lift and sideways pull were unbearable. In both cases I was running the Puig touring screen.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have the Fabbri touring screen and am happy with it. It keeps the wind off my torso to just below my helmet. When deciding which screen to get I wanted a functional screen that looked good on the bike and the Fabbri Touring screen fit the bill. There's really no way to tell where the wind is going to hit you compared to where it hits other folks with the same screen. Torso, arm and neck length along with style of helmet and which handlebar all come into play as to where the wind off the fairing hits you. Picking a screen involves both objective and subjective criteria. IMO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the Fabbri touring screen and am happy with it. It keeps the wind off my torso to just below my helmet. When deciding which screen to get I wanted a functional screen that looked good on the bike and the Fabbri Touring screen fit the bill. There's really no way to tell where the wind is going to hit you compared to where it hits other folks with the same screen. Torso, arm and neck length along with style of helmet and which handlebar all come into play as to where the wind off the fairing hits you. Picking a screen involves both objective and subjective criteria. IMO
Do you have a picture with the Fabbri?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the Puig Touring screen. It looks like is made for the bike and allows you still maintain that "naked" look. None of the windscreens really protect you from the wind blast of freeway riding, but it is better that nothing.

I say pick the one you think looks the best to your eye.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
So wait a second...how many touring options are there? Puig, Fabbri, MSR, and MRA? Or is the MSR and MRA the same shield.

Picking a screen involves both objective and subjective criteria.
True, but a specific Puig (or any other) shield on one FZ will work the same on another FZ...its the rider that's different. The wind will flow the same. What would be helpful would be to understand the general height of the rider and where exactly the wind blast gets concentrated. In a perfect world, I would want a shield to push the wind out to the sides, allow some of the air to flow behind the shield and thus hit my torso, and not focus a strong wind blast onto my helmet. In essence, I think it might be helpful if all of these shields had more curves and folds, thus pushing and focusing the wind more toward the sides rather than up and over. Perhaps even some relief holes in the lower part of the shield would be helpful, thus allowing some minor flow through the shield. Manufactures should provide a wind flow profile, at a few given speeds, so that intelligent decisions could be made when they are bike specific shields.

If a given shield is not going to protect my head/helmet area, then I want that wind blast to either be hitting my visor or top head area, or be focused lower such as on my upper chest. A focused wind blast hitting just at the bottom of the helmet will result in greater wind noise and more pressure on the riders neck...which is not desirable. It would be helpful if people could provide more info as to how the wind is flowing and where exactly they are getting hit...and if more wind noise is occurring due to the shield itself.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
these screen threads are like oil threads.
it is a naked bike, people, not a bloody car.
the subjective part is what each rider thinks works well for them, and looks good. soemtimes in life, you just gotta try a few things out for yourself.
ive got a puig sport, am 6'3or 4, and does what i want it too. on my first MT09, i had a home made one from an acerbis headlight which worked just as well, was adjustable for where the wind hit me, and in my opinion, looked a bit better.
but buying the puig was much easier.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts