Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Got a new 7" headlight installed yesterday, still working on a couple other mods, but this is how it looks:
IMG_20210314_152258.jpg
IMG_20210314_152302.jpg

The old shell got busted when I tipped over, and I didn't really care for the lack of options in the smaller factory headlight size. This one is a standard 7" round so about a million possible light bulb options, right now I've got the old-school sealed beam that came in the shell from amazon hooked up, I may update this with one of the fancy lean sensitive LED's in the future.

In order to mount this up I had to do a little modification & fabrication.
1. I removed the 'spacers' that push the stock headlight brackets out wider where the mount to the fork. These spacers are welded on and I cut them off using a 6" grinder and a cut-off wheel
IMG_20210313_170651.jpg

2. I removed the pin and associated brackets that that held the lower edge of the factory headlight shell
IMG_20210313_170637.jpg

3. I fabricated a couple of small rectangle aluminum spacers to push the factory headlight mounting ears forward to help the new shell clear the wiring and brackets. You can see them from the side, but the actually blend pretty well.
4. Despite removing the spacers at #1 the factory width is still wider than a 7" round shell, I used some rubber spacers from the hardware store between the factory mounts & the new headlight shell.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Pictured above but not mentioned is the new ABBA lift stand I purchased. I looked at a lot of the other options, but went with this one for a few reasons:
1. It was cheaper
2. it stores much smaller - space is at a premium in my garage and this collapses down really small
3. It allows me to get both tires off the ground and the bike to still be stable, important for tire changes an such.

So far it works pretty well - my only complaint is that the 'strap' system for pulling the back down (to lift the front tire off the ground) isn't as easy to use as I had hoped. I'll probably experiment with using a ratcheting strap, or something instead of the simple cam strap that comes with the stand.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Also started wiring up a Tracer GT (2019) left control switch to replace the stock XSR one. My reasons for this are:
1. I don't like the layout of the stock controls (horn & blinkers are too close together)
2. The stock one got busted & filled with dirt when the bike fell over last year
3. I would like to add a cruise control in the future and I prefer the look and feel of the factory buttons over an add-on system.

IMG_20210314_170552.jpg

What I didn't realize when I embarked on this mission is that the Tracer has LED headlights, and they are controlled by a dedicated control module, so the switch on the handlebars is a low-amperage design, not suitable for running the full headlight power through as it is wired on the XSR. This means I have to also install a relay for the headlight to make it work properly.

In my opinion this has some nice benefits in that I gain two 'unused' factory switches on the right side controls - the tracer block has hazards & mode switch which means I'll be able to use the mode & hazard buttons on the XSR right hand controls for some other purpose. I hope to wire the 'mode' button up to the factory cluster so that hands don't have to leave the handlebars to cycle the display. The factory hazard switch may end up connected to some LED driving lights or something - not sure yet.

So far I've proven that I can make all the switches work with temporary connections, I still have to do the final wiring and then bundle everything back up neatly.
IMG_20210314_170605.jpg
IMG_20210314_170601.jpg

I'll post more details once this is finished, including the Tracer GT wiring diagram (which doesn't seem to exist anywhere on the net for free), and the 'mapping' of which XSR wires I connected to which Tracer Wires, and of course some more pictures....

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Bike still isn't ready to roll yet, but I'm getting close. The wiring for the tracer switch is all done, update on that soon I promise. I've gotten my smart turn module wired up and installed. I also finished my GP cartridges install yesterday install write up here. All that is left is a little house keeping - I have to get the chain to proper tightness and get the rear all tightened up, and get the new LED blinker strips mounted on the forks, then I'll be ready to hit the road and see how all the new gear works!
IMG_20210502_154410.jpg
IMG_20210501_133721.jpg

Reactions: Screan29
41 - 47 of 47 Posts