Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy rode his R1 over a pair of Air Jordan shorts that were lying in the road. You may think, "meh, it's just a soft piece of clothing... what harm could it do"

Well, the shorts got kicked up into the chain, snarled up around the countershaft sprocket, derailed the chain, and then promptly seized the engine... a crash ensued.

BEHOLD! - the worlds most dangerous pair of shorts:

That entire pair of shorts was behind the front sprocket cover wtf.gif

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I guess it's just my pessimistic or suspicious nature but I always assume someone has hidden something dangerous inside that piece of refuse, ie. a rubber strip full of nails, a brick, etc. and I avoid it accordingly.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm the same way... and figured it was common sense, but this guy made no effort to avoid the shorts because he thought they were harmless facepalm.gif

·
Registered
835 Posts
I guess it's just my pessimistic or suspicious nature but I always assume someone has hidden something dangerous inside that piece of refuse, ie. a rubber strip full of nails, a brick, etc. and I avoid it accordingly.
IEDs everywhere.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i feel the same way - i wouldn't put it past some twisted ass to put nails in a brown lunch bag and throw it onto the highway.

Awhile back a couple of teenagers in a bordering neighborhood would ride their car through leaf piles that everyone would put to their curb. One guy didn't like that so he built a cinder block wall in the leaf pile then covered it with the leaves.

Teenagers came ripping by - drilled the wall - airbags went off / kids weren't wearing their seat belt - it was a mess - i dont think anyone died but one kid went through the windshield. Not sure what happened to the guy who put the blocks there..

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i feel the same way - i wouldn't put it past some twisted ass to put nails in a brown lunch bag and throw it onto the highway.

Awhile back a couple of teenagers in a bordering neighborhood would ride their car through leaf piles that everyone would put to their curb. One guy didn't like that so he built a cinder block wall in the leaf pile then covered it with the leaves.

Teenagers came ripping by - drilled the wall - airbags went off / kids weren't wearing their seat belt - it was a mess - i dont think anyone died but one kid went through the windshield. Not sure what happened to the guy who put the blocks there..
Ideas! Ideas! Ideas!

·
Registered
377 Posts
A guy rode his R1 over a pair of Air Jordan shorts that were lying in the road. You may think, "meh, it's just a soft piece of clothing... what harm could it do"

Well, the shorts got kicked up into the chain, snarled up around the countershaft sprocket, derailed the chain, and then promptly seized the engine... a crash ensued.

BEHOLD! - the worlds most dangerous pair of shorts:

That entire pair of shorts was behind the front sprocket cover View attachment 7681
dunno 'bout where you live, but here that's explicitly stated in the dmv motorcycle handbook, NEVER ride over any obstacle.
I look at all them obstacles as a chance to practice panic steering. Counter-steering works.

·
Registered
429 Posts

hiding objects such as cinder blocks in your roadside pile of leaves is incredibly illegal and can get you in a lot of trouble. At least in my area. Also reinforcing your mailbox beyond what the USPS approves is also illegal. Ever see those over sized plastic/metal mail boxes you can buy at ACE/Home Depot? Some people take a regular size mailbox and put it inside then fill the void between with concrete. YES, this is effective against a baseball bat however people have been killed by one of these cinderblock mailboxes coming through their windshields in an accident.. Oops i got way off topic :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dunno 'bout where you live, but here that's explicitly stated in the dmv motorcycle handbook, NEVER ride over any obstacle.
Probably is in there... it's been a very long time since I've perused the CA motorcycle handbook.... and I guess this guy never read it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Holy Moses, that seems a tad extreme. Probably could have just laid a lone cinder block in the leaves and it would have messed up the car enough to discourage the behavior.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You would think so but we live in Murika - where cinder blocks come on pallets of 50 :)

Holy Moses, that seems a tad extreme. Probably could have just laid a lone cinder block in the leaves and it would have messed up the car enough to discourage the behavior.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
A buddy of mine had a wind breaker strapped to the back of his seat and it sucked into his chain causing the bike to slide and skid everywhere. Luckily, he saved it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Had a friend in the eighties with a Maxim 700 that didn't see the rope stretched across the road until it was too late. Fortunately he only got a sore neck when the rope took him off and his bike rolled up on someones lawn. You hear these stories but never think it will happen to you. I've heard of people spreading gear oil on mountain curves to catch the bikes flying by. My debris moment was when I hit some crap in the road and a bolt flew up and stuck in my throttle linkage. It was only scary for a moment but it could have been bad. It is a sinking feeling when you roll off the throttle and the bike keeps going.

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
You hear these stories but never think it will happen to you. I've heard of people spreading gear oil on mountain curves to catch the bikes flying by.
The hills are alive...with the sounds of angry local folks hooting over the carnage yet to come. I'm sure many folks can justify to themselves all sorts of boobie traps to ensnare unsuspecting miscreants. I can say that it is not uncommon to see streaks of waste oil running for miles on popular motorcycling roads around Suches, Georgia during the riding season. It's obvious that someone just turned on a spigot and let the oil loose as they trundled along under the cover of darkness, over some of the best riding roads on the east coast. Sad really that innocent riders might get caught up in a trap laid because a local resident had a run in with ill-behaving riders.

·
Registered
44 Posts
And don't follow too close. Tonight on the commute home their was an entire car muffler in the fast lane of I80 and a huge piece of plastic cowling off the front of a car that I hit with my truck and it flew up into following traffic
That muffler would have ruined yer day for sure.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Actually went over a muffler once on my Nighthawk S. Not sure how I didn't crash. On the freeway, in traffic. Don't do the freeway anymore.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Had a friend in the eighties with a Maxim 700 that didn't see the rope stretched across the road until it was too late. Fortunately he only got a sore neck when the rope took him off and his bike rolled up on someones lawn. You hear these stories but never think it will happen to you. I've heard of people spreading gear oil on mountain curves to catch the bikes flying by. My debris moment was when I hit some crap in the road and a bolt flew up and stuck in my throttle linkage. It was only scary for a moment but it could have been bad. It is a sinking feeling when you roll off the throttle and the bike keeps going.
Sounds kinda like this vid:

A little late putting out the safety cones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts