Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well cant say I feel smart about this one. Bought my FZ09 a few months back now. Did all the standard things I normally do when I buy a used vehicle. Changed all fluids: oil, brake fluid, coolant, LED headlight, new tires(a flat forces you to), and a good washdown. Now of course I changed the oil filter, and I would normally change the air filter too, but a few things stopped me. First off the bike only had a little over 600 miles on it when I bought it, barely enough to warrant an air filter change. I also am in a temporary living situation since I moved to DC from San Diego. No where to really work on the bike and the Navy still has my tools in storage. So after much though I decided I would just wait to replace the air filter for when I sent off my ECU to be flashed.

Well I've now come to find out I probably should have checked it a bit sooner. The previous owner stored the bike in a locked shed..... but it doesn't appear to have kept the rodents out.

So while this is a chance this nest is from my garage, I am skeptical. I've never had an issue with rodents in my currently place. I checked my wife's car air box just to be sure. Nothing. No droppings on the floor around the garage either. So that leads me to believe that its been there since I bought it. Now as I said, the bike had just over 600 miles when I bought it 3 months ago. It now has 4200. Oof.

Good news, airbox cleaned, new sprint filter installed, and ECU removed and mailed off to @vcyclenut. All will be well again, might even find some extra power, considering I've been starving this engine of air and I'll have a tune.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good filter. It’s what I run too.
Welcome to DC. Pretty much where I grew up. If you haven’t already, go enjoy the air and space museum and get some astronaut ice cream. :)
Was told its the best.

Actually grew up here. Wife wanted to come home to be close to the family.
Good find You are lucky you don’t have wires chewed up. Double check around the airbox and make sure you don’t have bare wire showing.
There was little nibble marks on the air box internals, wires look good though!

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I bet that'll feel like an extra cylinder has been added.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't believe the bike ran, wow what a mess
Not just ran, but ran well. This is my 9th bike that I've owned, 5 R6's, a grom, a 1979 XS750(that I purchased in pieces and restored), a BMW S100RR, and now this thing. I do all my own maintenance on all my bikes, they've never seen a shop. So, I guess what I'm trying to get at is, this isn't my first rodeo maintenance wise. I'm very familiar with what a good running bike sounds like and what it sounds like when there is an issue. and to be honest..... nothing clued me in to this issue. The bike had ample power, pulled hard. Sounded good. Just goes to show, I guess I dont know everything. Glad I found it sooner rather than later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts