Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed these? They are just a touch lower, and a touch more forward than the more common Carmichael bend. I am 6ft 3, so I am pondering going even lower/further forward than the Carmichael. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
EVO Steering Damper Low must be a new bend as they didn't have these a few months ago from what I remember when I ordered the Contour Universal Low bars. I had the Carmichael bend and switched to the Universal low which is very comparable to the Steering Damper low bars you're talking about. The difference is negligible between the Carmichael and the Universal Lows. I was really hoping for more clamping area on the Universal low as the reference chart suggests an additional 28mm of clamping area which would allow me to cut the bars narrower but after installing them this appears not true as I can't move the controls in any further without things getting wonky due to the bends in the bar.

If you're looking for the lowest most forward 1 pc bar than sure give the Steering Damper Low a try but if you're looking for a more aggressive forward position it seems woodcrafts are a better bet. Pros to the protapers over the stock bars are they are much lower and a little more forward which I find more comfortable. Cons (to me) is the overall width of the bars as I wish they could be narrower like the stock bars. I like the setup with the protapers but I can't help wonder how the woodcraft bars would feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I was thinking the same about the controls space. 'universal lows' and 'steering damper lows' have a little more control space available than the Carmichaels, but not heaps. I was also hoping to reduce the bar width, to aid with my commute lane splitting. Sounds like it won't be likely however. Many thanks for your feedback mate, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Yes, I was thinking the same about the controls space. 'universal lows' and 'steering damper lows' have a little more control space available than the Carmichaels, but not heaps. I was also hoping to reduce the bar width, to aid with my commute lane splitting. Sounds like it won't be likely however. Many thanks for your feedback mate, I appreciate it.
I did manage to narrow my Renthal McGrath bars by 30mm each side. I had them cut and then tapped deeper in for the stock bar ends, and ground out the clutch and brake clamps slightly so that they would slide further inwards on the taper. My m/cyl now sits about 10mm in and under the right edge of the instrument panel.
I have to loosen it to change brake fluid, but that's not really a bother.
This bar set up is as close to perfect for me as any bike I've had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know! So with your brake and clutch clamps, did you just grind the internals of the clamp with a dremmel or something?

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Good to know! So with your brake and clutch clamps, did you just grind the internals of the clamp with a dremmel or something?
Yep, used a Dremel, just ground a slight taper to match the bar taper. It doesn't have to be exact, there's plenty of clamping force. Just open it up enough to get the clamps where you need them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, used a Dremel, just ground a slight taper to match the bar taper. It doesn't have to be exact, there's plenty of clamping force. Just open it up enough to get the clamps where you need them.
Great thank you, ill probably do the same to save space. My 'steering damper low' bars arrived today, so ill give it a crack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts