61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
103 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Here it is! What an awesome piece of tech for the bike! I haven't gotten a lot of riding time in on it yet other than some stand testing and a few street pulls to get the shifter position dialed in, However it is great fun! On the turbo bike full boost shifts are quick, effortless and come with a very satisfying CRACK when the shifter cuts the ignition. So far, definitely worth the cost, especially if you want to utilize the factory shift protocol and want to also have a GP configuration for the shifting pattern.

This is what was included in my kit!

See below for some install pics and instructions on how to install. Overall, it took me about 15-20 minutes to install.

Some guys say, pull the tank, I really had no desire, its a royal pain with the intercooler, So I opted to lift the tank and support with a block of wood I had laying around.

Once I had it supported I pulled the old shift rod out of the two heim joints, simply crack the nuts loose, and unthread the rod. I transferred the old jam nuts to the new shifter and rod assy.

Install is pretty much the reverse. Hold both ends in the heim joints, thread in and adjust the shifter to your desired shifter position. The other thing that is important to remember is, Keep the lever on the trans and the shifter perpendicular to the rod, this helps get the most positive actuation without binding of the shifter mechanism.

Once the shifter is in, I routed the wiring over to the tank vent hoses ( There is a plastic retainer there to keep all the hoses and the new quick shifter wiring all nice an tidy.) up and under the back of the tank .

You'll need to locate the stock shifter plug in, its on the right hand side of the bike under the tank. It is a grey 2 prong plug, that has a dummy plug in it from the factory to keep garbage out of the plug. EU bikes have the quick shifter from the factory so the stock shifter will be plugged into this plug.

Once the shifter switch is plugged in, you'll want to route the wiring. Make sure its not being pinched by the tank, airbox or laying on anything hot etc. Once its routed, bolt the tank down and away you go! If you haven't had the quick shifter activated yet, you'll follow Yamaha's instructions for activating the shifter protocol in the ECU. Once active you'll see the QS light on all the time indicating you can now use the quick shift function. Simply hold the throttle steady and shift, the bike takes care of the rest for you, that simple.

Overall, for the money this is a much better unit than the Yamaha oem quick shifter, Not nearly as GIANT and can be configured in push, pull, or bi-directional for those of you who have woolich's racetool key. 10/10 would buy. The bike, being boosted, used to waste precious time recovering from the throttle being closed during shifts, now just a quick crack, and we are full boost still accelerating into the next gear. My hope is that this will help me significantly improve the ET and MPH in the quarter. I will try to get some videos, and will be at the track the 17th for some more testing. Huge thanks to Don @ TTRIgnition systems for hooking it up, and helping us achieve the next phase in our goal of making Projekt.LOLZ the fastest MT-09 on the planet!

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
103 Posts
Excellent! Great install writeup, and I'm delighted to hear it's working! Really looking forward to seeing some video from your next trip to the track.

Just one clarification - RDNAKD got a little enthusiastic with his description of how the sensor can be configured as PUSH, PULL, or PUSH/PULL. Yes, it can - when you order it. The actual sensor you would receive is fixed as a PUSH, PULL, or BIDIR, and cannot be rearranged in the field. Just let me know if you want standard or GP shifting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Excellent! Great install writeup, and I'm delighted to hear it's working! Really looking forward to seeing some video from your next trip to the track.

Just one clarification - RDNAKD got a little enthusiastic with his description of how the sensor can be configured as PUSH, PULL, or PUSH/PULL. Yes, it can - when you order it. The actual sensor you would receive is fixed as a PUSH, PULL, or BIDIR, and cannot be rearranged in the field. Just let me know if you want standard or GP shifting.
Yup! That’s what I meant! Can be ordered to
Match the configuration you need depending on whether or not you are GP, regular shift, or need a bi-directional sensor for auto blippers. The setup was easy to install and even easier to use.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

my two fastest passes ever prior to the QS install. I’m going to do my damnedest to beat them on Saturday at our last event of the year.

Reactions: Screan29
61 - 69 of 69 Posts