Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

Registered
We will also be intercooling the setup with a custom built intercooler, The core was sourced from Vibrant, with alumnium piping of course!

There will also be a VDO scavenge pump to keep oil backup from happening and smoking the seals in the turbo.

Our fuel of choice is E85, since I live about 3 blocks from the E85 station in our area. I also contacted Barnett Clutches and sourced a set of 80LB springs for the 2018 slipper clutch, while they do not offer them in the catalog they can get them for you.

All the flanges are Vibrant Stainless steel units, as their quality is superb and will make sure we don't run into any issues with warpage.

So far, I have started the bike on the injectors ( N/A of course, on pump gas) and we have got the hotside manifold mostly finished, going to go build the dump pipes tonight for the exhaust and wastegate. We decided to keep the turbo in the front instead of rear mounted like the extreme creations kit for ease of fitment, short routing of intercooler piping and short exhaust.

Have you researched any issues with the frame? Forks? Or wheels? Also I have seen a FZ09 with a turbo. Your tire life will be cut in half easily. So is it recommended that hard or soft rear tire be used. Nice set up. Be cautious on your power plant. It has feelings 馃槺

Registered
16 fz09
I've been thinking of doing a turbo but don't have enough knowledge to do it myself. I am a welder and fabricator by trade so I have that part covered but am clueless when it comes to the turbo.

Nice build. What kind of $$$ has it cost for this setup? Could you flash the ecu to get proper fueling instead of using the power commander?

Is there room to run an electric fan on the intercooler?

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Have you researched any issues with the frame? Forks? Or wheels? Also I have seen a FZ09 with a turbo. Your tire life will be cut in half easily. So is it recommended that hard or soft rear tire be used. Nice set up. Be cautious on your power plant. It has feelings 馃槺
The engine is over holding up very nicely. It will however be built this winter to withstand quite a bit more power. The bike has been over 144 mph in the quarter so far. I do use a soft compound tire, with a custom built rekluse clutch I am prototype testing for them, with more goodies to come in the future.

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
I've been thinking of doing a turbo but don't have enough knowledge to do it myself. I am a welder and fabricator by trade so I have that part covered but am clueless when it comes to the turbo.

Nice build. What kind of $$$ has it cost for this setup? Could you flash the ecu to get proper fueling instead of using the power commander?

Is there room to run an electric fan on the intercooler?
You might be able to sneak a puller fan under the intercooler. but you won't have a ton of room. When riding, the tank, and front plastics scoop the air through and down over the intercooler pretty effectively, in similar fashion to a subaru. The ECU is actually flashed for a global adjustment for the injectors, and to control timing. At some point it will go to a fueltech 550 ecu... but thats about $3200 plus 25-30 hours labor to build all the harnesses. I am in the build approaching $8,000 for the turbo kit.

Reactions: Cw09

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
Any updates to this thread? Was shaping up to be a helluva build
Yup! Bike just made its fastest pass at IFO going 9.45 @ 145.39 mph!

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
Have you selected your quick shifter yet? I can offer a plug-in bolt-on QS kit for US$165 shipped.

Gorgeous build, by the way - I imagine the $$ curve is steeper than the boost! o_O
I have sent you a pm back good sir!

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
I am working with TTRIgnition to get the bike setup with one. I am hoping it will give me what I need to push the bike that much further this year before the weather goes to garbage and track closes.

Registered
I am working with TTRIgnition to get the bike setup with one. I am hoping it will give me what I need to push the bike that much further this year before the weather goes to garbage and track closes.
They working on a solution for you in a GP shift sensor? or figuring out if it can work in that direction?

That's cool.

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
They working on a solution for you in a GP shift sensor? or figuring out if it can work in that direction?

That's cool.
Yes, He can make them work in both directions. I refuse to give Yamaha any more money, and Woolich wants a ton of money for their quick shifter. I am hoping I can use the factory one, but I may have to pony up and just see if they will help me out with the license for the race tools license so I can adjust the quick shifter kill times etc to tune it in properly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #53
TTRIgnition systems is shipping my order out today. I will do a full install write-up and review on the shifter once it gets here, and we will be torture testing on the drag strip!

Reactions: MK3Brent

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
Shit, probably. 馃槀馃ぃ poor guy!

Registered
Discussion Starter #60

Got the quickshifter today, thanks again to Don @ TTRIGNITION for hooking it up! I鈥檒l have an install write up and test done on the quick!

Reactions: Midnight
41 - 60 of 69 Posts