Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
It'll probably be spring before we dyno. we are looking to put it on e85, and I don't want to deal with that in the cold.
I know you have been planning to make it run on low octane E85, but how and why would you do that on a turbo engine without lowering both the compression ratio and boost pressure? Good cooling and air/fuel mixing will only get you so far before detonation occurs and installing a knock sensor will retard the spark and stop the fun.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know you have been planning to make it run on low octane E85, but how and why would you do that on a turbo engine without lowering both the compression ratio and boost pressure? Good cooling and air/fuel mixing will only get you so far before detonation occurs and installing a knock sensor will retard the spark and stop the fun.
The whole point of E85 is to further reduce chance of knock and detonation as the fuel burns much cooler than pump gas. E85+ turbo applications is a win if you have a pump nearby. I built a 400+ whp turbo Honda and I ran E85 due to the power gains that can be had a lower boost pressure, plus the benefits I already mentioned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The whole point of E85 is to further reduce chance of knock and detonation as the fuel burns much cooler than pump gas. E85+ turbo applications is a win if you have a pump nearby. I built a 400+ whp turbo Honda and I ran E85 due to the power gains that can be had a lower boost pressure, plus the benefits I already mentioned.
You're correct, and now I see my mistake. We don't have E85 in the PNW so I read it as 85 octane rather than 15% alcohol fuel. The only disadvantages would be the lower energy density/power when not boosting and making your engine alcohol compatible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I Will be ordering a set of extensions, a power commander, and some other goodies to re gear it, and finally make some use of the power. Stay Tuned for some fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You're correct, and now I see my mistake. We don't have E85 in the PNW so I read it as 85 octane rather than 15% alcohol fuel. The only disadvantages would be the lower energy density/power when not boosting and making your engine alcohol compatible.
e85 is 85% alcohol, you gain quite a bit of cooling, and with my injectors being so big, it should help to dial them back a bit. Under boost you need approx 30% more fuel to make the bike run at the correct AFR's. And its approx 115 oct.

Reactions: Jaronv74

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How are you using the Woolich software to tune for boost? Cool build.
woolich allows me to base tune the ECU however I want, then for boost fueling a Power commander is stacked on top because it has the option of running a map sensor that will allow me to tune for boost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am looking for a set of 8-10” swing arm extensions... if anyone has a set they want to part with. I love the extreme creations pieces, but God damn they are proud of them!

Reactions: 42286/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got some 6” extensions from ol’ CW09 and my lowering links on, lowered the forks .77” straps on... we grow ever closer!

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
103 Posts
Have you selected your quick shifter yet? I can offer a plug-in bolt-on QS kit for US$165 shipped.

Gorgeous build, by the way - I imagine the $$ curve is steeper than the boost! o_O

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Have you selected your quick shifter yet? I can offer a plug-in bolt-on QS kit for US$165 shipped.

Gorgeous build, by the way - I imagine the $$ curve is steeper than the boost! o_O
Send me a pm about it. I am GP shifted as the bike will be used for drag racing..

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
103 Posts
PM Sent

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any updates? Do you have the compressor map for your turbo you could post ? I have two turbos in the shop and a rotrex. Planning building a kit for mine. When does yours start to spoil? Any back pressure data? Intake temps? How much boost have you run so far? Sorry for million questions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The turbo was custom built for the project, It does not have a compressor map that is published. Let me just say this, it still spools around 3000 rpm into positive boost and by 4500-5k dependent on load, elevation and temp I see full boost. The bike hasn't been tuned fully yet, I'm working on setting up the Boost fueling map so I can adjust everything based on pressure. I will be dumping a tank of e85 in the bike today to see how she does. I don't worry about back pressure data, I don't see boost creep so I would say i'm way under the pressure where restriction would even be a worry for the manifold. I also have a 2." dump with a 1.5" wastegate dump. The bike has seen 8-9.5 psi consistently, and on e85 with a new tune here shortly should see 10-12. What turbos do you have sitting around?

·
Registered
33 Posts
GT 2860
K04 off vw
BW off a 2013 Ford Fusion 2.0l

My buddy had GT 2860 on his 08 CBR 1000rr, i didn’t think it’s spooled fast enough. The Bw could be swallowed by the GT28. Ko4 is in the middle. Another guy on here used a VF 40, just changed to a VF52, not sure how it worked. Yours sounds perfect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
A GT2860 is sized about right, however, because its probably not billet, and if it doesn't have a custom housing, it may be a little laggy. The nice thing about an MT-09 is that it has a bunch of torque without boost, so it definitely plays well with the transient response of a decent sized turbo. Tuning also has a lot to do with spool, lean spool pull timing and they spin up faster, then bring in the fuel and timing once its a few psi over 0.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The K04 is probably going to be the most rideable and snappy, if you're looking for something you can ride every day and just have fun. My bike is slammed, stretched and pissed which is why it has the size it has.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yours is bigger than mine. But both are low mounted in the front and I noticed an improvement on turn-in, probably due to more weight down low towards the front. Have you noticed the same thing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yours is bigger than mine. But both are low mounted in the front and I noticed an improvement on turn-in, probably due to more weight down low towards the front. Have you noticed the same thing? View attachment 159232
Yes, However now mine is lowered and stretched, so turn in isn't a thing anymore. LOL

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Here is a video of the first quarter mile pass we got, and a video of the launch control ( installed after the first track day. )

21 - 40 of 69 Posts