Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed the sliders tonight (bought the whole kit). Id post pics but at this point everyone has seen them. But Im having trouble with the rear axle slider. The right hand side doesn't want to slider into the axle. Let me try to be more specific. You have the axle on the bike, you then slide the slider tube into that then you have the black plastic piece that the puck screws onto. It looks like it should slide into the axle but it isnt. Anyone else had this problem? In retrospect a picture of my problem may have been necessary. If people are having a hard time understanding, Ill take one.

On a side note, the product is great, looks great. I wish the bolts werent grade 12. I hate that goldish tint. I might go replace them all with lesser strength silver ones or just paint these ones. And the quality of instructions was horrible. They should work on that. And lastly, I choose the black aluminum spools and got the plastic ones. Im not fussy enough to send them back but as a customer you should be ontop of these things better.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yeah. TRex has a manufacturing problem with BOTH the front and rear sliders... Thus far, I have not seen anyone WITHOUT this problem. Thus far, TRex is not doing anything to fix the problem. After I pointed it out, took measurements, emailed them the details with measurements of their parts, and my bike... Silence.

If you tightened your front fork spacers, you have likely now dug a cute little ring into your powdercoat on your left fork, because that spacer was machined incorrectly for our bikes, as well as the right rear spacer. Luckily, I caught these mistakes before installing and marring my fork.

Here is the dedicated thread with measurements and photos.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/1881-trex-fork-axle-slider-problem.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot. Ill probably just end up sanding them down to fit. I already caught someone saying dont follow the 12 ft/lb tighten on the fork ones or youll snap it.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Pull your left fork spacer, look to see if it rubbed up your lower fork. If so, you will want to put 3mm of spacers, washers, in there to move it off the fork.

You need to remove 1mm of material on the right rear spacer. TRex said that they built the spacer for a 11mm ID axle, our axle is 10mm ID on the right side unfortunately.

They told me NOT TO tighten the left fork spacer, but to install washers so that it does not cut into the lower fork, then tighten. The recess in that spacer is too deep.

Awesome huh?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already tightened it tonight. I haven't ridden it yet though. Hope for the best. Ill pick up the spacers tomorrow. I'm going to have to bring the spacer for the axle to my dads shop, I don't have a bench grinder to take a mm off and my sandpaper isn't doing the job. I didn't realize those were AL and not plastic.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just installed a full set of TRex hardware last week and noticed these issues. But I used some electrical tape on the back sides of the aluminum spacers to protect the forks (double thickness & cut to fit the spacer so it can't be seen) and filed one of the pieces on the rear to fit inside the axle and it fit fine...took all of 5 min for both fixes.

I understand the concern here, yes there is a possibility that on the front the forks you could get a "ring" worn in the finish, but the pieces do fit. On the rear, very slight modification is necessary. So the kit isn't perfect, but really the point of these is to protect the forks and swing arm from major damage in the event of an accident, does it really matter if there is a small ring on the forks under the puck that can't be seen when the pieces are installed?

That being said, they could have spent about 10 more minutes in the design phase and corrected these issues... especially if they had an 09 to test fit, and now people are telling them about it. I'm also not too impressed with the frame sliders, they are huge! And while they seem to add some protection, I'm still swapping over to the woodcraft just to get rid of the sail on the left side of the bike:confused:

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
OES sliders cost less, don't have issues, a ton of REAL racers use them and I don't get why so many pay more for T rex?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
OES sliders cost less, don't have issues, a ton of REAL racers use them and I don't get why so many pay more for T rex?
I installed my front fork sliders in about 3 minutes this afternoon...they are great quality, look good because I barely notice them and they were $30 by themselves. If you buy the full kit you get a discount. I'm not a huge fan of the dual frame sliders and I like the woodcraft puck and most importantly I want to support Stoltec. But the fork sliders are excellent design and quality.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with the t Rex ones because they look different. I think the normal peg style sliders look hideous on this bike. They're normally ok when recessed behind herrings. On this bike they look like highway pegs. As for the axle sliders, I bought bc they were a kit and OES doesn't offer sidecase ones yet and I wanted them today.

Edit: Also I tried sanding for about 5 minutes and realized it wasn't going to fit easily. I'm too neat to just grind it off. I'm putting it on a lathe to take the required amount off. I don't like half ass jobs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No. I wasn't saying filing anything off is a half ass job, doing it with a file when I have a lathe available is half assed to me. If you don't have a lathe available then you did what you can. However, I'm going to do it correct if I can

Edit: The true half ass job was from T Rex for not triple checking a product before selling it. I wasnt trying to insult you. Sorry if it came across that way.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I got my T-Rex slider kit delivered on Tuesday and I gave them to my Yamaha dealer to have them installed since I won't be taking possession of my bike until next weekend. I went there today to see the bike and the sliders have been installed and apparently without any issues, according to the mechanic. Here's some pics if her, I can't wait to get out on this thing ;)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Then they don't know what they are looking at... Sorry, a lot of people have said theirs went on no problem, but when they went back to look, there was in fact a problem.

Still, nothing from TRex after sending them the information they requested.

What a gigantic fail.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then they don't know what they are looking at... Sorry, a lot of people have said theirs went on no problem, but when they went back to look, there was in fact a problem.

Still, nothing from TRex after sending them the information they requested.

What a gigantic fail.
I think that is a little harsh. Lets be honest, no one would ever notice the front work scratching issue unless you took it off afterwards. Like most, it installed easily and so I thought it was correct. I dont naturally assume something I bought is already defective. As for the rear one. One of two things happened. He was lucky and got a correctly machined one or two, had to file/grind/ or what ever the piece and didnt want to tell the customer that he "modified" his parts. Id recommend Darksyde remove the rear one when he gets it and just take a quick look at it.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I wasn't clear I think when I posted earlier. TRex stated that they machined EVERY RIGHT REAR SPACER TO 10.5mm +/-.1mm to fit an axle ID of 11mm. That is their manufacturing spec. from their own engineer. Unfortunately, the FZ09 right rear axle ID is 10mm.

It isn't a bad batch of spacers, it was a flawed design, to which all spacers were then built.

I'd take them both off, take a look, and do whatever remediation is necessary.

Not meaning to be harsh, that was not my intent. But there is no way to fit the rear spacer without modification currently.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree. I know you weren't trying to bash him or his mechanic. I was just throwing it out there. Like I said, more then likely I imagine he modified the rear one and didn't say anything. As for the front, it goes on smoothly, so you'd never know. I would put the spacers in the front if you care about the ring it will cause.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
All good points. I just want it to be clear, to others reading the "problem" thread, as a service to them, that until further notice, these problems still exist with this product.

You are right, the fork scratching is hard to imagine when you are assembling the sliders... I spent enough time owning euro bikes and dealing with ill fitting parts to assume that the part won't fit, until it does lol.

I'm flying all weekend and tomorrow, but I will try to make contact with TRex tomorrow to see if they have discussed any remediation for these issues. Honestly, it would be nice to see them send new spacers to all of their customers on file, and realize that this isn't an issue with one or two bikes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the other problem Im worried about, is measure the inside of the part that goes into the axle on the right rear one. The thickness of that metal is only like 2.5 mm and I need to take .9mm off mine to make it work. That leaves me with 1.6 mm of aluminum to stand up to a 400lb bike + me on it hitting the ground. I honestly think its structurally compromised. The whole thing needs to be re-designed with a small sleeve inside the axle so a thicker diameter on the end piece can be made.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts