Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only done about 1895 miles and she has been away for most of the winter etc but used her the other day and the engine management light illuminated.
Turned out it was the start/stop red slider on the right hand side of the switchgear was not fully returning to correct centre position.
I have WD40'd it but local dealer tell's me it is a known problem.
Have sent a nice letter to Mr Yamaha asking for a replacement 'good gesture' etc etc. Bike is about 6 months out of warranty.

Never had any luck with bike manufacturers so watch this space !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, all paperwork ( up to now !! ) done and dusted....but seem's quite a few of these switches have failed and there seem's to be a backlog wait of approximately 8 week's !! ( All coming from Japan as
none in GB )
Nothing approved in writing just yet, but still fingers crossed. Bike can still be used and great support from dealer so far.

·
Registered
920 Posts
So do you basically just have to slide the switch back manually after starting it? Another member had a recent problem that caused his starter relay to go out. I think he found out that the spring was just too weak in there.

All of these stories want me to replace the switch all together with the old rocker style kill switch and push button start!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I took mine apart and cleaned the switch w/ electrical contact cleaner. There was an abundant amount of grease in the housing...Yamaha over did it on greasing the contacts and it creates resistance for the switch to move back, so much so the little (weak) spring they use couldn't overcome the resistance. Now that I've done that it is returning back on its own.
Prior to cleaning it, it stayed in the start position while I let the bike run for 15-20 minutes and burned out my starter relay. This is what led me to taking it apart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine works fine, just doesn't fully return to the centre. When I pulled in the clutch lever the engine management light came on !!
I can simply manually push the switch back to it's correct position but would like it replaced etc as only 1950 miles on the speedo now!
Out around North Wales on her tomorrow so we'll see how things materialise. Thanks for the feedback ( I'll open the switch if Yamaha refuse the good will gesture
but obviously don't want to mess about with it until I have their answer )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'll doff my cap to the staff at yamaha's customer services department, they have been fantastic.
They sent a special order to my Chester dealer with a new switch and I have the bike booked in this
Thursday for the new switch to be fitted.
Now that IS exemplary service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Only done about 1895 miles and she has been away for most of the winter etc but used her the other day and the engine management light illuminated.
Turned out it was the start/stop red slider on the right hand side of the switchgear was not fully returning to correct centre position.
I have WD40'd it but local dealer tell's me it is a known problem.
Have sent a nice letter to Mr Yamaha asking for a replacement 'good gesture' etc etc. Bike is about 6 months out of warranty.

Never had any luck with bike manufacturers so watch this space !
Hi, 2017 XSR900 here ...5000 miles and happened last week. I have disassembled the switch wiped off all the grease from the sliding part and put a new lithium grease spray....works perfect now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts