Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my notifications set to control panel only, and I check there to see new posts for my subscribed threads and forums (as I do on other vBulletin based forums). I find that new posts are being shown for many hours after I've already read them, but are not marked as new any longer. Today I see some that are marked new again even though I read them hours ago. My time zone is set correctly, and I'm set to stay logged in.

Is there some other setting that might be screwed up? AFAIK it's all set the same as I use on other forums...

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yeah, it won't wipe the "new posts" unless you hit the "mark forums as read" button as well. I had the same issue.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just noticed that when I check new posts on my phone using Tapatalk, and then go back to the computer, they're properly cleared. Weird.

Edit: Never mind. Just tried it again and it didn't work. Same threads show new posts.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it be possible for someone to look into this? It's very annoying to have the same threads coming up as unread. I've been using the "Mark Forums Read" button, but if I forget to... I can't find any settings related to clearing new posts in my control panel, so I'm guessing it's something with the forum configuration.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
That issue is probably something that NickJ or one of the Admins would have to look into. I know nothing about the back end of the software and have no access to that part of it even if I did. You may want to drop him a PM and see if he can help!

·
Registered
699 Posts
It is not really an "issue." What is going on is that we have the database set to rely on your browsers to determine the "Read" status of threads. This lightens the load on our servers and makes the forum run just a little faster. What also might be going on is that some of you may be using the Back button on your browser. This reloads a cached version of the site, so you don't have any forward movement through the pages. In turn, as far as your browser is concerned, you are flipping back to a page that is in the past, when you had not read the threads.

I understand that this might be the issue for some of you, and not the issue for others, but as far as I can tell from what you guys have said, this is the issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Nick. It was kind of over my head but your explanation makes sense now!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Nick. So in my case I use a link to jump back to my Control Panel after reading each thread to make sure it's up-to-date, but still see old threads. Is there something I can change in my browser? Some kind of cookie setting or something? I'm using Firefox. It happens with Tapatalk on my phone too.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks Nick. So in my case I use a link to jump back to my Control Panel after reading each thread to make sure it's up-to-date, but still see old threads. Is there something I can change in my browser? Some kind of cookie setting or something? I'm using Firefox. It happens with Tapatalk on my phone too.
I mean honestly, I don't have much experience using the CP for my subscriptions (everything that I need to keep tabs on, I set to "Instant email notification" as I need to get it into the queue of items that I need to address). I use the Active Topics as my browsing habits are different than yours.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm... well I'll see if I can figure anything out in the browser or tapatalk. Thanks for the replies.

Oh, and when I installed Firefox I rode it like I stole it. It was broken in and worn out all at once. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Did you change all your electrons and a new filter capacitor after 20 miles? Sounds like you've got some dirty electrons floating around inside the browser. You may have to flush it out with some contact cleaner!

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
So, you're NOT a Motoman kind of guy eh! :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts