Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, cutting a long story short, I took my wheel in to have a tire installed.

I went to go install it, and the axle wasn't going in. so i removed the wheel to take a look, and the shaft inside the wheel isn't aligned with the left and right holes.

How could this of happened? I assume when they installed the wheel it would have been in some kind of rod to hold the wheel in place, that was used for leverage.

OK, any one here know how or what can I do? I mean this place was a harley shop and they're probably not used to doing powder coated wheels. The guy actually said he'd have to do by hand.

Is my wheel ruined? I've never gone inside a wheel before, is that something that's easy to fix, and should i be taking the wheel apart myself, or just take it back? in which case I'll probably be met with confrontation.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

photo 1.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I haven't taken mine apart, but if you run a smaller diameter rod, screwdriver, or PVC in the other side when you are mounting and move the inner spacer to align with the axle or bearing, then you should be able to run the axle through. It might be a floating design. Not sure without pulling mine apart.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't taken mine apart, but if you run a smaller diameter rod, screwdriver, or PVC in the other side when you are mounting and move the inner spacer to align with the axle or bearing, then you should be able to run the axle through. It might be a floating design. Not sure without pulling mine apart.
thanks, yes, that's exactly what i did, and it popped back into alignment.. I was sort of having a bit of a panic earlier that my wheel had been internally damaged...

·
Registered
315 Posts
hi, cutting a long story short, I took my wheel in to have a tire installed.

I went to go install it, and the axle wasn't going in. so i removed the wheel to take a look, and the shaft inside the wheel isn't aligned with the left and right holes.

How could this of happened? I assume when they installed the wheel it would have been in some kind of rod to hold the wheel in place, that was used for leverage.

OK, any one here know how or what can I do? I mean this place was a harley shop and they're probably not used to doing powder coated wheels. The guy actually said he'd have to do by hand.

Is my wheel ruined? I've never gone inside a wheel before, is that something that's easy to fix, and should i be taking the wheel apart myself, or just take it back? in which case I'll probably be met with confrontation.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 3128
I agree, that center piece is just floating, move it back on center, no big deal.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Spacer. It's in there to keep the bearings from side-loading too much when the axle is torqued down. As Fizz said, poke a screwdriver in there and realign for axle insertion. No biggie.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
To my knowledge all bikes have the spacer inside the wheel. Some bikes have the spacer "captured" in the bearings or other parts of the wheel so it stays aligned and some bikes have it floating like the FZ09.

Just make sure you have a light coat of grease on your axle when you reinstall it. When I pulled my axle, it was DRY. That is a recipe for disaster when the axle rusts, even a little and gets bound up in the wheel...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts