Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just got my MT-09 (I'm in Sweden) from my local Yamaha Dealer. When I looked at it in the dealership it started fine though it was started by a lot of people in the store over a couple of weeks. When I got it home today the battery was a bit tired when I tried to start it so I hooked up the charger, when it read full I tried starting it again. The starter motor is fine and going at a good speed but it just won't start. I'm thinking I might have flooded the spark plugs?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi and Welcome Sweden! :)

What voltage is the battery reading without any consumption the last 15 minutes? (No key-on )
Plugs might have been flooded, but shouldn't happen already.
Dodgy fuel - how much left in tank?

·
Registered
238 Posts
You're not touching the throttle, right? Should be key on, hit the starter switch without touching the throttle. If it's not catching, it sounds like a spark problem. These days though it's very rare to have fouled plugs in this day and age with electronic ignition and fuel injection.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Constant starting and not going anywhere can dry foul the plugs.

I did that with my # 2 FZ 09.

On a very low miles bike I put on the Graves and ran it about 10 miles.

Ran it another 5 miles with exhaust air injection blocked off.

May have run a bit rich, especially with no Power Commander, yet.

A day or 2 later it absolutely would not start even with a larger capacity battery.

Pulled the plugs .

2 were dry fouled black, and 1 had some dark brown and black mix.

Local dealer didn't even have a microfisch, much less the correct plug in stock.

Went to the local Auto Zone and got some NGK CR9E plugs.

OEM is CPR9E ( don't remember the rest ) Difference is OEM plug is projected tip.

C = 10 mm thread
P = Projected Tip
R = Resister ?
E = 3/4 inch ( 19 mm ) long thread

Mostly as long as you have the right heat and thread configuration , you're good to go.

My bike started immediately after new plugs installed.

Running stock pipe, for now, till Power Commander is available and mapped.

You'll need a 16 mm or 5/8 socket and use a 2 inch stacked on a 3 inch long extension.

Plug hole is pretty deep.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Constant starting and not going anywhere can dry foul the plugs.
agreed.

reason being, when you start a cold engine, the fuel injection richens the mixture. lots of cold starts without running the engine long enough to burn off the deposits will cause them to build up and eventually foul.

OEM is CPR9E ( don't remember the rest )
cpr9ea-9.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
My General Manager at a BMW car dealership I worked for just a couple of years ago was OCD and moved cars around on the lot all day long. Start, move, turn off. We had a ton of cars with fouled plugs from that. I couldn't believe it. The Service Manager would roll his eyes, and tell the advisor to replace the plugs and charge it off. I have never seen it before or since, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've only started it cold once since I've had it. For future reference, how long should it run?
i'd like to say 'until the engine's fully up to temp', but you really shouldn't have a problem unless you like to do lots of cold starts without letting the engine fully warm up between them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts