Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike, like my Harley, I need to hold the rear brake if I'm on a hill. I then have to do the rear brake/throttle/clutch stuff to get started and not roll backwards, like with a manual car. I didn't have to do this with the 380 lb S40 that I had. I am wondering if the rest of you need to do this, or if I'm just not big enough/strong enough to support the bike like I was with the S40. Thanks :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Depends on how steep the hill is and how long you need to be there. My driveway is a on a slope and on a blind curve, I usually hold with rear break just before feathering clutch and rolling on.

Enjoy the sun today

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still trying to figure out why this is, but the S40 which was around the same weight as the FZ, I was able to move out of my garage and not have to worry about it's weight on an incline. I'm assuming this was because the S40 has a lower center of gravity. The seat height on the S40 and where the weight of a cruiser would be compared to the weight distribution of the FZ. When trying to move the FZ-09 in my garage, it feels just as heavy as my 600 lb Harley. I think I have an easier time moving the Harley. This is the only thing I miss about the S40- how easily I was able to move it, it felt like a toy. It also didn't feel particularly stable like other bikes do, so you have trade offs.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I think the difference in the garage is the height of the center of gravity.

When you are astride the bike at an inclined stop the difference compared to the S40 is seat height. At such a stop I use the front brake more often than the rear.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I think the difference in the garage is the height of the center of gravity.

When you are astride the bike at an inclined stop the difference compared to the S40 is seat height. At such a stop I use the front brake more often than the rear.
This

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
Jen, Nothing wrong with the rear brake technique, leaves your hands free for the front controls. I usually keep the brake lights on at a light until someone comes up and stops behind me - even in flatland Phoenix. The seat height is taller so you will have a bit less traction on a hill with feet down.

Do you still have the S40? Here's something to keep you occupied when you are not riding Link to Ryca motors

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nothing wrong with the rear brake technique, leaves your hands free for the front controls.
Starting from an upward incline is something my daughter practiced many times with me. Providing just enough throttle, engaging the clutch, releasing the brake, while maintaining balance from a stop, all in the correct sequence to start riding uphill is quite a challenge for a new rider. She can do this very nicely now, but it took several attempts.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I traded the s40 towards the FZ-09. I think I need to find a quiet hill :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jen I would use the front brake with one finger pressure to hold you.
You should be able to roll the throttle and keep one finger pressure on the front brake while slipping the clutch. Once you get the feel for it you will see it is a better option.
Sometimes if I am sitting on a moderate incline, I will position my feet so that the foot pegs are resting against my shins and holding the bike from rolling backward. you have to have your weight on your feet and not your ass to do this. I haven't tried it on the 09 yet so I don't know if the foot pegs are wide enough to contact my shins.

Maybe you should look into lowering your bike to gain that feel of comfort that you had with the S40. I have lowered all my dirt bikes giving up ground clearance and suspension travel for the comfort of knowing when I put my foot down it will touch something. There is no worse feeling than falling over and put your foot out to NOTHING!!

Reactions: markstertt
1 - 10 of 10 Posts