Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the only difference between Pro Taper bars and the stock handlebars (besides diameter obviously) the strength of the bar (like if the bike got knocked over)?

I want to put some Moose Racing handguards on this badboy so that any accidents that occur lanesplitting are just accidents and not hospital stays from these serious front brakes. I've always ridden supermoto and am used to Pro Taper bars though. Is there any reason to swap the stock bars for a tapered set before installing the guards? If so, the clamps holding the bars on are called c clamps right? And would have to be replaced..?

Thanks for any info and help

yatt

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I will do you one better, I put Zeta bars on my WR with Zeta guards with integrated LED lights. Already purchased the setup for my FZ in all black with the exception of the bars because I need to ride the bike and take bar measurements before I switch to the Zeta SX3 black taper bars in the size I prefer.

View attachment 408

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! When you get the taper bars you'll need to replace the clamps holding the guards to the bars and the clamps holding the bars onto the forks right? And why go taper vs stock?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Related thread:
http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/8-fz-09-pictures-videos/286-fz-09-instrument-panel-pic.html

The stock bars should be fairly strong, I'll probably change them to lean into the wind a bit more.

Each of the two bar clamps are in 2 pieces, the bottom bolts to the upper triple clamp, and the instrument bolts to the bottom bar clamp, so using different bar clamps means remounting the instruments. Doable but more trouble. Probably better to get bars that fit the clamps, seems those Zetas will.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome guys I really appreciate the help.

Gotta do a little research into the guards now. Moose has always treated me right for (I believe) around $40 a set with bark buster (/ lever savers in traffic), but acerbis and now zeta too it seems can get rid of the silly bug eye turn signals in the front. Figure out a way to cap off those empty turn signal holes, get some handguards with LEDs, bar end mirrors, clean up the tail, and
VOILA (sp? Lmao)
Sexy beast goes untouchable

Love this machine!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Picking up my bike end of the week. I was going to order BarkBuster Storm handguards but not sure on the size. it offers 6mm or 8mm bar end bolt and 7/8 dia bar. I was looking at the S1 with two mounting points vs the S7 with just the bar end mount.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Also wondering if there is 18mm of free straight handlebar space to the inside of the handlebar controls.

Barkbusters - S1

BarkBuster Storm handguards

·
Registered
611 Posts
photo (14).jpg

srad711,

Please see the pic and let me know if u need anything else. There isn't 18mm =(

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
This is how the Zeta handguards look on my WR with the integrated flashers. I have all black to put on the FZ

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like the Zeta's.they have tip over protection and the single mounts do not.
I just ordered some red/black to match my bike.
I wonder if I'll have a mount problem because the stock bars have threaded inserts for the bar end weights?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Reviving an old thread...please forgive my incompetence but what size zeta guards will fit the FZ? Do I get the 7/8 or 1 1/8 guards? And for the flasher protectors does it matter if I get the straight or bent guards?

·
Registered
294 Posts
1 1/8 guards, bent to fit shifters -- is the standard install. Some guys are drilling out the bar weight and installing the guard further down the bar...buying the 7/8 to do this. I've got the parts, just not the time or warm weather to tinker on my bike with hand guards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts