Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big thanks to Marthy for sending me the info on these! They were sort of a pain to install but these bars feel so much better than the stock bars without going to the extreme of the clubman bars. It drops them just enough so that im leaned over at not clinging to the bars when accelerating. Paired the bars with Driven grips and bar ends as well.

Here is before

And After

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you share the info on those bars, David? I think I'll pick 'em up too. And any elaboration you can share on why they were a PITA to install would be awesome too. They look great! Think I'll run a similar setup... I'm 6'3", so I need them stretched just a bit as well from stock.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you share the info on those bars, David? I think I'll pick 'em up too. And any elaboration you can share on why they were a PITA to install would be awesome too. They look great! Think I'll run a similar setup... I'm 6'3", so I need them stretched just a bit as well from stock.
They are the Pro Taper Carmichael bars, I just picked mine up off amazon for like 60 bucks. The biggest PITA I had was the left side mirror, the new bars have a knurled section for the grips and with the clamp for the mirror base all the way loosened the bar would not pass through due to the bigger diameter of the knurls. I ended up having to take a dremel to the inside of the clamp to open it up enough to get it over the end. You also have to take a dremel to the locator pin on the headlight controls and stop/start switch, unless you want to drill holes for this. I ground mine down enough so that it just clamped on the bar

·
Registered
154 Posts
Are you able to remove the Pro Taper logo or is it silk screened on?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I knew about grinding the control pins but completely forgot about the clutch clamp. I had to wedge a screwdriver to spread it a bit more to go over then clamp it with pliers after to put the bolt through. Sorry about forgetting about that...

But she looks sexy now with those bars! Perfect fit hey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew about grinding the control pins but completely forgot about the clutch clamp. I had to wedge a screwdriver to spread it a bit more to go over then clamp it with pliers after to put the bolt through. Sorry about forgetting about that...

But she looks sexy now with those bars! Perfect fit hey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Even with a screw driver I couldnt get mine to slide over, but a simple fix and worth the hassle

·
Registered
438 Posts
I noticed you have the EVO bars, and marthy has the Coutour bars. Whats the difference ? They look real nice, just dont know which to choose!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is a friend of mines bike with the same bars. Makes it feel much more sporty.
I have the same bars, just trying to find a picture of my bike with them installed.

get-attachment.aspx.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed you have the EVO bars, and marthy has the Coutour bars. Whats the difference ? They look real nice, just dont know which to choose!
I didnt even realize that good catch. I just looked on their site and the shape and size of the bars are exactly the same but the EVO bar is made of a lighter alloy. Just a material difference.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I didnt even realize that good catch. I just looked on their site and the shape and size of the bars are exactly the same but the EVO bar is made of a lighter alloy. Just a material difference.
I just checked too.

A B C D E F
Contour specs: 800 77 36 195 55 180

EVO specs: 800 77 40 195 55 180

So it appears the Contour bars are 4mm lower, but the EVO bars are 1mm thinner making it lighter as you suggested. Still cant decide do i want them lower or lighter!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm going to be ordering the Contour version very soon. Your bar ends, are they the "V2" from Driven? I know the Pro Taper bars require a 14mm bar end and I want to make sure I order the correct ones.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Does anyone know either of the 2 bars transmit less vibration than the other? Im about to pull the trigger and the EVO bar is $12 more than the Contour. I dont care about it being lighter, i only care if there is a difference in vibration.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At 4mm you will never feel the difference in height! Thats barely over 1/8 inch plus the controls are pretty close at full locks.

And the bar ends are the D-axis ones, yes they are too big but all i did was swap out the washers for smaller ones and trim the rubber with a knife until it was the right diameter. They went in and tightened up perfectly.

·
Registered
520 Posts
They are the Pro Taper Carmichael bars, I just picked mine up off amazon for like 60 bucks. The biggest PITA I had was the left side mirror, the new bars have a knurled section for the grips and with the clamp for the mirror base all the way loosened the bar would not pass through due to the bigger diameter of the knurls. I ended up having to take a dremel to the inside of the clamp to open it up enough to get it over the end. You also have to take a dremel to the locator pin on the headlight controls and stop/start switch, unless you want to drill holes for this. I ground mine down enough so that it just clamped on the bar
How much less of a rise are the carmichal handlebars from stock?... I didnt see dimensions on amazon... Stock bars are 85mm i believe

1 - 20 of 59 Posts