Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have and use them. For most applications you can use common hair spray instead of grip glue and it works just as well. That's what I did. Yes, they do come in black. Check with Sportbiketrackgear. That's where I got mine and I got them in black.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have those as well - did not need glue for the throttle side - but the clutch side was a little squirmy after 24 hours so I sprayed in a little adhesive and fixed that right up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My favorite grips- I use these on all of my street bikes. I buy them from Cycle Gear for $10/set. I've never used grip glue and have no issues. I've used them over film grip heaters and without - fine either way. All are black by the way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They are great grips. I had them on my R1 and also this bike until a fortnight ago when I swapped them out for oxford heated grips.

If I didnt have heated grips I would have stayed with them for sure - super comfy, grippy and reduced vibration. They are a very cheap and worthwhile mod over stock.

Plus they get rid of the throttle sideways movement many people dont like which is an added bonus as they are a bit longer than stock.

P.s. I used hair spray too and they were fine. Most rubber/gel grips are good with hair spray - hard grips like my heated ones I used glue.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Big improvement over the stock grips?
I purchased them along with another cheap set of grips (Renthal single compound diamond pattern) to compare. Both were better than stock in every way. The Renthals were decidedly more aggressive. They did nothing to damp the engine vibes that creep up through the bars (not that there's all that much), they're stickier, and they're narrower. I can definitely see throwing them on a dedicated track bike or a bike that was going to be ridden balls-to-the-wall 24/7. For day to day riding, though, the 699s are better. They're just plain comfier in your hand, still way stickier than stock, and they do a lot to damp what little engine vibration there is in the bars.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. You convinced me to get a pair.

Me and KirkB are gonna bee tearing up the canyons of Malibu tomorrow and on the way home I will stop by Cycle Gear and snag a pair.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
dammit 9 bucks - i'm pulling the trigger on these too - how can i not?!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'd like to know too. Sometimes, these things can be merely speculation or placebo. I guess it's worth a shot at $9.
Well when you look at how OEM grips are made you can see anything pretty much would be an improvement. Like most anything made of rubber, harder = more life. OEM grips are made to last the life of the bike, which unfortunately means using such a hard rubber compound that it has very little grip or vibration damping properties. Aftermarket grips use softer rubber compounds assuming you're okay with having to replace them on a somewhat regular basis. Progrip in particular uses a layer of gel insert in addition to being made of softer rubber. So it's easy to see how they're going to feel better.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have them, im actually waiting to get my new bars powder coated though.. I got the protaper bars and cut them down to 28" and burred out ends with a 9/16 drill and tapped them with an m16... (Rhinomoto/crg bar ends)... And i didnt like the protaper logo splashed all over them, plus i scratched them in the vise deapite wrapping a towel around em... So i sand blasted them at work, gonna send them out soon.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Can anyone speak to how long they last? Just curious..

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Pro Grip 699 Sportbike Gel Grip - Motorcycle Superstore

Look at getting a set of these.

Lots of good reviews.

Do these require grip glue to install.

Was going to go with black but they don't seem to come in black?
They are dark Gray, as in very dark - charcoal. I have used these grips for 15 years or so and I love them. They are easy on my worn out hands from motocross. I use grip glue on all of my grips and I safety wire them too. Some people use Liquid Nails to glue them, but I use a big tube of Honda grip glue. Do not use WD-40 or hairspray on these as they are a very soft compound and can deteriorate rapidly. I spread a little glue half way up the bar and a little in the front of the grip using the handle of a plastic dinnerware. Also, I safety wire them in all three locations. Motocross taught me to never, ever have a grip pull off in the rain. Instant crash. Also, I clean all excess glue from the bar ends before and after it dries.

I get four to five years out of a set running about 5-6 thousand miles a year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts