Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been around a few months and I really do not see anyone stating about removing the smog crap...not a high priority or is it just a given to remove it ?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
California bikes have the evap cannister, but the other 49 state bikes do not. What specifically are you referring to other than cat. converter......which is built into the stock exhaust can.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the smog devices that u buy block off plates for...good point on the Cat...will wait to remove it all when I get a header...Its just one of the first thing most would do on the FZ1..But there was not Cat to worry about...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Been around a few months and I really do not see anyone stating about removing the smog crap...not a high priority or is it just a given to remove it ?
I'll be ditching the A.I.S when I fit the block off plates and PCV, for two reasons... Firstly to reduce the excessive popping and backfiring caused by the Akrapovic system (with no cat). And secondly to get a clean and fixed A/F reading when I dyno tune it. Also...losing a little bit more weight is always good. :thumbsup:

I'll worry about the tiny smoke trail of the bike when people stop drag racing diesel SUV's! :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'll be ditching the A.I.S when I fit the block off plates and PCV, for two reasons... Firstly to reduce the excessive popping and backfiring caused by the Akrapovic system (with no cat). And secondly to get a clean and fixed A/F reading when I dyno tune it. Also...losing a little bit more weight is always good. :thumbsup:

I'll worry about the tiny smoke trail of the bike when people stop drag racing diesel SUV's! :D
Quite correct....the air injection screws up and chance of correct re mapping on the dyno. I know you guys are talking about the FZ09 but us FZ07 guys don't have that problem. There is no air injection at all on an FZ07.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quite correct....the air injection screws up and chance of correct re mapping on the dyno. I know you guys are talking about the FZ09 but us FZ07 guys don't have that problem. There is no air injection at all on an FZ07.
Bonus! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
So the "logic" is if something or somebody pollutes more than you, it's OK for you to pollute.

Try that "logic" on anything else and see where it leads to.

You get to go through your life anyway you choose to. But if you have to resort to irrational reasoning to justify it, you might what to reconsider. ��

·
Registered
539 Posts
So the "logic" is if something or somebody pollutes more than you, it's OK for you to pollute.

Try that "logic" on anything else and see where it leads to.

You get to go through your life anyway you choose to. But if you have to resort to irrational reasoning to justify it, you might what to reconsider. ��
Are you really going to play this card? More or less you are talking to a brick wall on this subject. Just as a guess, I think 90% of the people on this forum want more power, and a better running bike. The rest just don't really care about switching their exhaust because the power is plenty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just like poker, if you can beat this card go for it. If not, admit that you have only your own self interest at heart and damn the rest. Be honest about it. There's no shame in honesty. But there is no honesty in attempting to justify one's actions by invoking an argument that is completely irrational.

Whether members agree or disagree with my post, matters not the least to me. Each one can decide their own course in life.

As have I.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just like poker, if you can beat this card go for it. If not, admit that you have only your own self interest at heart and damn the rest. Be honest about it. There's no shame in honesty. But there is no honesty in attempting to justify one's actions by invoking an argument that is completely irrational.

Whether members agree or disagree with my post, matters not the least to me. Each one can decide their own course in life.

As have I.
Pretentious much?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's like good old Al Gore making millions of dollars running all over the place preaching about global warming and all the idiots who pay good money to hear him. Yet none of them seems to notice the Hummer or Learjet he showed up in???? lol.

It's fine to make laws to help save the environment, it's not fine to let stupid people right these laws. Take for instance the stupidity with ethanol blended gasoline. People preach that it is a good thing and it's better for the environment, but is it really? How many people complain that there gas mileage has gotten worst when using ethanol blended fuels? Some people are claiming a decrease of 10 to 15% in gas mileage. Which means they are now using 10 to 15% more fuel to dive the same distance. if you are burning that much more fuel, how is this better for the environment?

Now consider a motorcycle, and look at what your typical midsize car is getting for it's gas mileage.

2014 Toyota Camry, just your typical midsize car, most people are getting 26 mpg.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/camry

2014 Yamaha FZ-09, most people are getting 43 mpg.

2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Mileage

Now lets take an average person who drives 10,000 miles a year. Now if that person just happens to own a Toyota Camry and an FZ-09.

If they drive their Camry all year, they will burn up 10,0000 mile/ 26 mpg = 384.62 gallons of gas.

If they ride their FZ-09 all year, they will burn up 10,000 mile / 43 mpg = 232.56 gallons of gas, a 152.06 gallons of gas savings, or a 39.53% reduction in fuel.

Even if the guy drives his car and bike 50% of the time, he is stall saving about 20% in fuel.

And don't even think about saying: "Well what if a person drives a Hybrid like a Toyota Prius?" If you are going to bring up that argument, you better read this before you open your mouth.

Does hybrid car production waste offset hybrid benefits? - HowStuffWorks

And I quote: But do the environmental impacts of hybrid vehicle production outweigh the long-term benefits of driving a cleaner running automobile? That answer is a resounding "no."

So all you tree huggers need to look at all the facts and stop driving your SV's to your next protest. Which makes me think, do you guys even car pool? lol

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Gore...Gore...name sounds familiar. He's the guy that invented the internet, right? :cool:

To the OP; my understanding is blocking the air injection ports is pretty much unnecessary unless you've installed an aftermarket exhaust or need a more accurate AF reading.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There was some talk in another thread about how disabling the air injection in the exhaust will make the exhaust richer and in doing so possibly damage the stock catalytic converter. If in the future there are emission tests for motorcycles like cars must pass to get their license, I would want the stock exhaust to be fully functional. Anyone have any knowledgeable input on this?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A question for someone who lives in California. With all the extra pollution parts they add to motorcycles in California, do you need to get your bikes emission tested on a regular basis? Or is it just equipment that needs to be there in order to sell it from a dealer when new?

Just curious how the whole "smog regulations" work?

And my previous post, that is my Rant-For-The-Day, just like Bruce Willis vs GeenPeace.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
I must admit to not giving the AIS much thought. Is there any advantage to disabling that system if running the stock exhaust?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts