Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Okay, I did an advanced search for chain cleaning, chain maintenance and a couple others. No threads with anything like that in the title--kinda shocked.

This is NOT my first bike with a chain. Had two (yes two) 2009 FZ6s and 2010 FZ1. For those bikes, every 500 miles or around 2-3 tankfuls, I brushed kerosene on the chain to clean and then used Bel Ray (I think) no-fling lube. Those bikes had center stands, so I did 8-10 inches at a time, being careful to wipe the kerosene off each section, etc. I used WD-40 before kerosene, but found it to smell bad when the leftover got hot.

I also used kerosene on a rag to QUICKLY degrease my rear wheels and shine them up. Never had bad effects from the kerosene on the chain or wheels, but didn't have the bikes long-term.

I don't have stands for this bike yet.

What products do you recommend and procedure for cleaning/lubing the chain? What intervals do you do it? Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
You've been doing it exactly as I have been, although I don't do it as often as you. Kerosene and Bel-Ray. No ill-effects from the kerosene.

·
Registered
233 Posts
WD40. I've used it on my Hawk GT (and all other bikes, FZ-09 included) and am at 42k miles on the original chain and sprockets (and the sprockets are in great shape still). I have only had to adjust the chain 3 times in 19 years and 37k miles of ownership. Note that I avoid riding in the rain, and the bikes are garaged, but that's all that I use on all my bikes now. Chain stays clean too- none of the gunk that collects with heavy chain lube.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I follow these exact steps but wash the bike down after I kero the chain. I then use Motul to give the entire chain a once over.
I stick with the Motul brand for Oil, Coolant & Chain Lube. Oh and helmet spray, purely for the bottle to refill myself. Worth it just for the bottle!

For splatter on rear wheel I use wd40 and a soft rag.
Is it worth giving the chain a light rinse after cleaning then applying WD40 before applying lube?

I use a small grout brush from the local supermarket. They cost a couple dollars and seem to be the perfect tool for the job.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Simple Green on the chain, Chain Lube on the chain.

I have it up on a stand so it's a quick 3 minute job.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to use WD-40 but then read it could be more harm than good. As a water displacement formula it also could displace the internal O-ring lube, which is bad. That is when I switched to Kerosene.

Has anyone used the NEW DuPont "Teflon Chain Saver" which is a replacement of the discontinued and highly regarded "Teflon, Multi-Use, Dry Wax Lubricant"?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I used to use WD-40 but then read it could be more harm than good. As a water displacement formula it also could displace the internal O-ring lube, which is bad. That is when I switched to Kerosene.

Has anyone used the NEW DuPont "Teflon Chain Saver" which is a replacement of the discontinued and highly regarded "Teflon, Multi-Use, Dry Wax Lubricant"?
I use the Teflon Chain Saver, works great, does not have any mess.

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
139 Posts

That is what I am currently using. I used to use the Bel Ray no fling which I had no complaints about. But doing a little more research I found a lot of riders recommended the Dupont Teflon over the Bel Ray so I gave it a try. Just rolled over 1000 miles and I have no complaints. I have noticed zero fling off with it, but I also let it dry 30 minutes like it says. It goes on wet (which I didn't realize) and then drys. But so far so good, I give it two thumbs up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Kerosene with a paintbrush, then I gently spray it off with a hose. Then I take it for a quick ride to warm up the chain and use Motul Road Chain Lube which works freakin awesome. Little to no fling.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've cleaned my bike chains with WD40 for years and suffered zero issues. Both my DL1000 and KLR650 went 21k and 18k miles on the OEM chain and sprockets this way. As for lube, I have a Scottoiler filled with BelRay Gear saver gear lube on the FZ-09. My girlfriend used WD40 and Dupont Teflon spray lube (blue can) whenever the chain lube (yellow can) wasn't available. I think we adjusted her chain 1 or 2 times in 10k miles and it looked great when she sold the bike to get a belt drive cruiser.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Grunge Brush by Dupont

...Has anyone used the NEW DuPont "Teflon Chain Saver" which is a replacement of the discontinued and highly regarded "Teflon, Multi-Use, Dry Wax Lubricant"?
Have not used that product but I did see a related Dupont chain product today in Walmart ($9.95).

DuP_GRNG_BRSH_GREY_inBOX_US.jpg

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/grunge_brush.html

The instructions:
1) Dip or spray brush with Dupont Motorcycle Degreaser
2) Wrap U-shaped end around chain
3) Scrub chain in 12" lengths. Advance chain and repeat. Rotate brush by 1/4 turn to clean back side of chain.

I did not see the Dupont Degreaser though. Could have been elsewhere in the store.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I clean my chain and sprockets with gas and old toothbrushes when I first get them home - then use the Dupont Teflon lubricant. You can get it at Lowes or Amazon. I have aerosol cans and little squeeze bottles. The chain runs quieter and stays cleaner. I'll never grease a chain or advocate it.

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
I use a couple of WD40 soaked athletic socks, swapping out after the first one shows grime, then a clean/dry sock
and finally Dupont Teflon Chain Saver lube on the inside of the chain's lower run.

I do this on a rear stand and use a piece of scrap cardboard between chain and tire to avoid any lube over spray issues.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I use a scottoiler on my 09. I get very little fling of the rear wheel, and I like how the chain is constantly lubricated.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How many miles is everyone typically doing this?
Every 500 miles or so for lubing is a good starting point, more often if you ride in the rain or in the dirt/dusty conditions. Cleaning can vary widely depending on where you ride; every fourth or fifth time I lube I look at cleaning the chain, but I don't ride in dusty conditions. WD40 and the Grunge Brush are great for cleaning, BTW.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts