Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a place that had a good price on the FZ-09. I was going to get the bike but the weather has been bad every weekend. I found out that they would deliver the bike or even hold it in their storage area. Anyway, they sold the graphite one they had in stock. I asked them to contact me when they got another one in or knew when they were getting one. That was over a month ago. I called them today and asked about the status of the bike. They told me that there was a dealer incentive that expired at the end of January and now the prices are $317 higher than before. I just wanted to pass on this information (if it is true). The other place with the great deal in WV, also increased their prices by $175. They want to give me a grand less for my trade, otherwise I would do business with them. With the trade at the first dealer, I would have been able to get the bike. Anyway, I wanted to pass on this information, if it is true, if you are looking to get the bike now. The dealer told me to wait until March and see if any other incentives are coming out.

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
it is difficult to get a handle on price when a trade is involved. There is always room to make money off the trade.
I bought in February from a dealer in NJ and got what I think is a good price.
The sales person came at me with a price that included a bunch of fluff. I pulled out of my pocket a check made out for $8,560.00 which is MSRP plus 7% for tax.
I brought the bike home.
I don't mind a dealer making money, that's what America is about, free enterprise and all, just don't rape me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I found a place that had a good price on the FZ-09. I was going to get the bike but the weather has been bad every weekend. I found out that they would deliver the bike or even hold it in their storage area. Anyway, they sold the graphite one they had in stock. I asked them to contact me when they got another one in or knew when they were getting one. That was over a month ago. I called them today and asked about the status of the bike. They told me that there was a dealer incentive that expired at the end of January and now the prices are $317 higher than before. I just wanted to pass on this information (if it is true). The other place with the great deal in WV, also increased their prices by $175. They want to give me a grand less for my trade, otherwise I would do business with them. With the trade at the first dealer, I would have been able to get the bike. Anyway, I wanted to pass on this information, if it is true, if you are looking to get the bike now. The dealer told me to wait until March and see if any other incentives are coming out.
Where are you located and which dealers are you referring too if you don't mind not looking to bash just curious?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ray's Polaris. They were going to give me $2500 for my S40. It's not worth that much, maybe $2000 if that, plus no other fees, no freight or prep. I would have been at $5500 plus tax and title. Now, they told me it's $300 more since Yamaha does not have the incentive. At 6k, this was more than I wanted to spend, another $300 and it's a deal breaker.

Martinsburg motorsports in WV had it at $7200 no other fees and is now $7400. They want to give me $1500 for the S40. I can't do that deal either. I would have to sell the S40 first. Oh well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ray's Polaris. They were going to give me $2500 for my S40. It's not worth that much, maybe $2000 if that, plus no other fees, no freight or prep. I would have been at $5500 plus tax and title. Now, they told me it's $300 more since Yamaha does not have the incentive. At 6k, this was more than I wanted to spend, another $300 and it's a deal breaker.

Martinsburg motorsports in WV had it at $7200 no other fees and is now $7400. They want to give me $1500 for the S40. I can't do that deal either. I would have to sell the S40 first. Oh well.
Yamaha didn't have any incentives on the FZ that I'm aware of. So they are strictly just trying to get a little more money out of you! I would tell them no and that you have another dealer that will work with you if they don't want to. They want your business, but will always play games to see how you stand. Play the same games they are playing and use one dealer against the other. But walk away if you have to. It's a great bike, NOT a limited edition, and not worth getting screwed over by a pile of crap dealership.

·
Registered
149 Posts
the incentive might have been a "trade in" incentive from the dealer to bring in more business.
Sell the S40 privately and buy the FZ09.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. WV seems to be the place to go. Rays Polaris was so close in price to the WV dealers and is only thirty miles from my house. I was hoping to avoid Craig's List. I've had three successful buying experiences so I guess it goes both ways. I need to get rid of the S40 first, otherwise I will have four bikes in the garage!

We were at a dealer today. My husband wants me to sell the Harley and get another Shadow. He fell in love with a Shadow RS and wants to.get rid of the Harley. That would make for a funny garage, two Shadows and an FZ-09.

·
Registered
883 Posts
We were at a dealer today. My husband wants me to sell the Harley and get another Shadow. He fell in love with a Shadow RS and wants to.get rid of the Harley. That would make for a funny garage, two Shadows and an FZ-09.
Hold him off from buying another Shadow. :D If he rides yours, he may decide "his 'n hers" FZ-09s in the garage are the way to go. If I recall correctly, he wanted to keep the Harley not long ago.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I need to get rid of the S40 first, otherwise I will have four bikes in the garage!

QUOTE]

Your hubby sounds like my wife. In my garage are 5 bikes and 4 more in the shed.
Triumph 675R, FZ-09, DR650, KLX250S, and '75 CB400f in the garage. In the shed are 3 1998 Suzuki GN125's that I bought for $100 each, all running. and a 2006 CRF250X.
Not bragging, I am just cycle nuts and have 4 boys!!!!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are my bikes...hah. I just got him a bike for Christmas and taught him how to ride.

I found an FZ-09 in Romney, WV, from the suggestion of a member (thank you again, Kevin!). Martinsburg Motorsports is very fair, but Romney Cycles in Romney, WV, gave me more for my trade.

Romney is 200 miles from where I am in PA. Martinsburg is 130 miles. I'm going to ride to Romney on the S40 and ride the FZ-09 home. I'm still not sure that I want to ride four hundred miles in one day, so I'm still deciding what to do. My husband, who has only followed me around on the side streets, wants to take his bike and ride with me. I think that's a really bad idea, but you can't tell people what to do.

Is anyone familiar with US 50 W in West Virginia? How is it? I would take I83 S to US 50 W. It appears to be a straight run, but US 50 W looks like twisty mountain roads.

·
Registered
198 Posts
US 50 not bad, can be a lot of truck traffic. Best part is west of Red House Maryland over to Grafton. I was going to suggest Romney Cycles, no personal experience but a few friends on the Tenere board swear by them. Have you tried Track N Trail in State College? They've treated me well, ask for Chuck Dallos. I think they have an orange one in stock.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I want a graphite one. Thanks though. I already left a deposit on the one at Romney. I just don't know if I want to ride 400 miles in one day. My plan was to leave it there and ride back in the car, get it the next nice weekend. Then my husband had this idea that he wanted to take his bike and ride with me.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
8 Posts
US50 is not a bad road. For the most part, maintaining 55 mph or very close to it is possible almost all of the way. I have no affiliation with Romney Cycles in any way other than 4 great buying experiences. It is a first class dealership that has a huge inventory that believes in selling large volumes so that they don't have to squeeze the maximum profit from each bike they sell. I trailered my R1 to trade it in so I could enjoy the ride home on the FZ-09 without already aching. I let the wife drive the truck home pulling the empty trailer as I broke in my bike using the motoman method with a large cheezey grin plastered on my face the entire way home. I eventually pulled over and loaded it on the trailer once the temperature dropped and the sun set. Heaters are nice! A 400 mile trip for someone not used to that in the winter doesn't seem like a good idea to me but I can understand your husbands excitement. Good luck and welcome to FZ-09 ownership!

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well....this should be an adventure. Yeah, no pickup truck :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Grew up 5 miles outside of Romney and know rt 50 well. Good scenery and nice twisty road. Good road to break your motor in on. If Kevin is still the owner he will treat you fair.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well....this should be an adventure. Yeah, no pickup truck :)
Just be careful the first 50 miles and let the tires scrub in.
Coming off a bike you are real comfortable with you MAY tend to lean her over a bit in a hurry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts