Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may recall I had to drain the oil and coolant to remove a bolt I sheared.

Given that I drained the factory coolant I wanted to gauge what everyones prefered coolant is.

I also had to drain the oil. Right now I have Mobil One Racing 4T in 10W-40. So what is everyone else running?

I will be riding this bike year round so it needs to be good down to -10F. Thanks for the input

Rich

·
Registered
176 Posts
I run Mobil 0W50 in my moped... its an employee perk , I sipon it off the big 55 gallon tank that my relative uses.(I help out around there)

Gixxers run on Fuchs PRO 5W40 thou.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
My oil preference is the Mobil 1 15W-50 full synthetic....been using it on high revving performance bikes for over ten years with no issues. 5qt size at Walmart is like $25 a jug. Coolant....I'm probably go back with the Yamaha OEM in this case. In my track bikes, I run either Engine Ice or water/water wetter.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
176 Posts
My oil preference is the Mobil 1 15W-50 full synthetic....been using it on high revving performance bikes for over ten years with no issues. 5qt size at Walmart is like $25 a jug. Coolant....I'm probably go back with the Yamaha OEM in this case. In my track bikes, I run either Engine Ice or water/water wetter.
Water wetter is proven around my block too but lately theres a new kid around the block (which i have no 1st hand experience about either)

AMSOIL Dominator® Coolant Boost

spec says its better but ho hum not available at where I live easily...

anyone who has 1st hand experience on this coolant can chime in on this??

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Yea, even the MSDS doesn't give you much info about it. I really prefer Engine Ice (STT allows it on the track), as it has freeze protection properties down to -26 degrees.....which means that I don't have to drain water/water wetter at the end of the season and put glycol back in the cooling system over the winter. I actually built a "lean to" collapsible shelter for the track bikes, that is insulated and is against an inside wall of the house, in my garage. No heat required and the temps get monitored all winter long and it never gets below freezing in there, as water wetter has ZERO freeze protection.

Reactions: marthy and ktk_ace

·
Registered
238 Posts
Coolant - street bike's get OEM replacement stuff, race bike gets water wetter/water or last year I tried Motul McCool I believe it's called. It was just allowed through tech inspection by my racing org so thought I'd give it a try.

Engine oil - I've read a lot of good things about Shell Rotella 5W-40 full synthetic so I'm going to run that in the FZ-09 after I do my first oil/filter swap at 200k in the Spring. Up until now though I've used Motul semi-synth 15-50 in my race bikes only because I went halfers with a buddy on a drum of the stuff a couple years ago. Worked great and my engine builder said it was sufficient given my service intervals (oil every fourth track/race day, oil & filter every eighth day).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Amsoil 10w40 and water wetter in all of my toys. No real danger of freezing since my garage rarely drops below 55 degrees in the winter. I used engine ice in my R1 and did not make a single bit of temp difference. Water wetter on the other hand still goes to the same high temps when I'm stopped, but temps plummet twice as fast as Engine Ice as soon as the fans kick in or I get moving again.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Yea, I just switched back to Engine Ice in the track bikes (mine and Peggy's) because STT now allows it in the Advance group. At one time all you could run was water or water/water wetter.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Amsoil 10w40 and water wetter in all of my toys. No real danger of freezing since my garage rarely drops below 55 degrees in the winter. I used engine ice in my R1 and did not make a single bit of temp difference. Water wetter on the other hand still goes to the same high temps when I'm stopped, but temps plummet twice as fast as Engine Ice as soon as the fans kick in or I get moving again.
pure water conducts heat better than an antifreeze mix. when you put in water wetter, the entire coolant mix is still mostly water, thus the faster drop in temperatures versus standard antifreeze or engine ice which are 50/50 ethylene glycol/water or 50/50 propylene glycol/water.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yea, I just switched back to Engine Ice in the track bikes (mine and Peggy's) because STT now allows it in the Advance group. At one time all you could run was water or water/water wetter.
it's a rare example of safety standards being relaxed. glycol based coolants are a lot more slippery than water/water wetter and harder to clean up. engine ice is actually more slippery than standard antifreeze, so it's strange that some tracks/racing orgs ban antifreeze but allow engine ice.

probably a money thing in the end. banning glycol coolants would probably mean losing the people that only did track days occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
So how much difference is there between a propylene glycol and an ethylene glycol?

·
Registered
418 Posts
pure water conducts heat better than an antifreeze mix. when you put in water wetter, the entire coolant mix is still mostly water, thus the faster drop in temperatures versus standard antifreeze or engine ice which are 50/50 ethylene glycol/water or 50/50 propylene glycol/water.
I fully understand the science behind coolant vs water. The point is that Engine Ice is no different than regular coolant as far a temps go. The claims made are not backed up by real world facts. All bikes will get hot when you're sitting still no matter what you use. The determining factor when switching to another coolant is the time it takes for the temps to drop back down when the fans come on or when you start moving again. The better a coolant is at transferring heat the faster temps come down. The time between 225 degrees and 207 degrees with a 50/50 anti freeze water mix vs Engine Ice was the same in my R1. Switching to Water Wetter cut that time down almost by half. IMO Water Wetter is the best choice is you have no issues with freezing temps. If cold temps are an issue regular anti freeze and distilled water works the same as Engine Ice and a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My radiator coolant level was low when I bought my bike and long story short,Yamaha could not recommend any coolant that was compatible with their "YamaCool" so they sent me a bottle and it wasn't on anyone's dealer shelf and they had to order it.
Not sure if they have yet found a compatible coolant.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
threesvts wrote:
If cold temps are an issue regular anti freeze and distilled water works the same as Engine Ice and a lot less expensive.
But the difference for me with the track bikes is that ethylene glycol coolants are NOT allow on the track in the Intermediate and Advanced groups, and I spend a lot of time on the track in the Advanced group when I'm not coaching in Novice.

·
Registered
418 Posts
But the difference for me with the track bikes is that ethylene glycol coolants are NOT allow on the track in the Intermediate and Advanced groups, and I spend a lot of time on the track in the Advanced group when I'm not coaching in Novice.
You have 2 choices. Either plain water, or water and Water Wetter. If you're riding in Advanced group AND coaching Novice you should already know these thing LOL

·
Registered
418 Posts
My radiator coolant level was low when I bought my bike and long story short,Yamaha could not recommend any coolant that was compatible with their "YamaCool" so they sent me a bottle and it wasn't on anyone's dealer shelf and they had to order it.
Not sure if they have yet found a compatible coolant.
Drain out the Yamacool and fill it back up with something else. Coolant is coolant. There is no specific ingredient in Yamacool that is not in any other coolant. Yamaha charges a ridiculous amount for what basically off the shelf coolant with their name on the bottle. You're paying for 40% water with that crap! And at $9 for 32oz, about 13oz is plain old water! Each manufacturer has their own "special formula" for their own products. But in reality it's a complete scam! The only exception is Dexcool from GM. That's a whole other mess of nonsense. Do yourself and your wallet a favor. Just fill it up with a 50/50 off the shelf antifreeze water mix and call it a day.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Problem is not all coolants are compatible and if you drain your system you have to go to lengths to get it all out.
You have to flush it thoroughly as to not have 2 potential incompatible coolants.
To be safe,it's just easier to put yamaCool back in it.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
You have 2 choices. Either plain water, or water and Water Wetter. If you're riding in Advanced group AND coaching Novice you should already know these thing LOL
You obviously MIS read something, somewhere along the way. I said Ethylene glycol based coolants ARE NOT allowed,.......Propylene glycol based Coolants ARE ALLOWED, such as Engine Ice, Evans, .......

Trust me, I do know what is allowed and what isn't. I was just stating that at one time, those products were NOT allowed in the Advanced group, but OK in the Intermediate. Now, they are OK in both

1 - 20 of 31 Posts