Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I ran a set a couple of tire changes ago.

Great wear but be careful cuz the rear can be a little greasy with that hard compound center.

It can spin up fairly easy under acceleration or quick stopping.

Never had any problems in the corners though. The sides are medium compound.

Great wet performance and seeing you live in Jax that should make you happy.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Did you get a front one too?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I ran a set a couple of tire changes ago.

Great wear but be careful cuz the rear can be a little greasy with that hard compound center.

It can spin up fairly easy under acceleration or quick stopping.

Never had any problems in the corners though. The sides are medium compound.

Great wet performance and seeing you live in Jax that should make you happy.

Cheers.
I would agree. In the heat, it does seem a bit greasy. A MC-Online review also said the same thing I think.
I also feel it spins up easy...and feels a bit heavy during turn in- this I found out last weekend on Bear mountain.
For corners, I think the stock S20s were pretty good. This one is definitely superb for wet and heats up fast in colder weather.

Will try out the Conti Trail Attacks next I think. However after more than 5500 miles, the PR4s barely show any signs of aging!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Im debating PR4's. I bought this bike for long rides. Problem is, i found out how fun this thing is to ride. lol. Now I'm debating just using Q3's like on my other bike. Damn it. lol. Might get a PP3.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Im debating PR4's. I bought this bike for long rides. Problem is, i found out how fun this thing is to ride. lol. Now I'm debating just using Q3's like on my other bike. Damn it. lol. Might get a PP3.
I am currently running PP3's and they are great but... I burn them up pretty fast. 2500 to 3000 on the front. Rears 1500 to 1800.

Going to try a set of PR3's next time. They have a medium compound center. Thinking they will be a good blend of grip vs wear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am currently running PP3's and they are great but... I burn them up pretty fast. 2500 to 3000 on the front. Rears 1500 to 1800.

Going to try a set of PR3's next time. They have a medium compound center. Thinking they will be a good blend of grip vs wear.
Wow, my buddies are claiming 8K miles out of the pp3. Im getting 5K out of my Q3's.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm almost tempted to try out the PR4 trails, it looks like they have the same tread pattern but medium/soft compound on the rear. Anybody know any different? I think they have a lower top speed...

michelin-pilot-road-4-versions_zps8acf161b.jpg

edit: looks like the trail only come in... trail bike sizes. whoda thunk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think these tires are excellent! I have no issues with grip except on the very first turn I take in the morning over a couple of white lines but that's down to not being heated up just yet. I set the pressure around 35-38, they are excellent in rain(I had to ride to Utah Wyoming and Montana to find this out) and my front tire comes up long before I loose any grip under hard acceleration. I had 12k on my front tire and 7.5 on my rear before I traded them out. I mostly commute on them but my last set had a trip from San Diego to Bozeman MT(3500 miles) on them and a lot of canyon runs, I love my acceleration so I'm not babying the tires at all. They are the only tires I will put on my bike from now on, especially since my next place of residence will be the opposite of SoCal....Washington Seattle/Tacoma area.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
So I have to ask... has anyone tried PR3 front and PR4 back to try and even out the wear? ... or is the handling so different that it's simply too sketchy to mix the two?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts