Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of the PowerMadd Handguards because I wanted a single point mount on the bar so I didn't have to mess with my Rhino bar ends and CRG Arrow mirrors. The PowerMadd Star series with vent covers aren't sold with mounting kits. PowerMadd sells a somewhat universal single point mount called "ATV and Motorcycle Mount Kit". I got the guards and the mounts from Amazon. I finally got around to mounting them tonight while my wife went to a Quilter's Christmas Party. I told her I couldn't take the excitment, so I would stay home and play in my shop while she was out. I had already messed with the mounts some figuring out how to get them located on the stock handle bar and I knew the right/throttle side would take some Mcgyvering. The problem on the throttle side was the threaded hole in the housing where the stock mirrors were installed. I had already removed the stock mirrors and installed the CRGs so the portion of the brake lever mount with the threaded hole was no longer needed. With a few quick measurements I realized I could get the guard mount in between the switch housing and the brake lever mount if I removed about half of the threaded boss for the mirror. Dremel time. I removed the socket head screws holding on the lever mount and just let it hang below the bar. I wrapped rags and tape around everything near by that I didn't want to nick with the Dremel. Took about 10 minutes to carefully divide the aluminum casting right through the center of the threaded hole and smooth all the edges. I checked to make sure I had the clearance and then I mixed up a wad of LocTite epoxy filler (very similar to JB weld, but cures harder) and filled in the half of the hole left on the lever mount. After it has cured over night I will disassemble the mount, sand it smooth and paint it black. The fit to the bar with the mounts is solid and the PowerMadds mount firmly to the bar mounts. Now all I have to do is wait about 4 more months until riding season starts again in Alaska and see how well they work. The upper portion of the guard is removable and uncovers a vented area for those warmer days that riders mount encounter in other areas of the world. I like the look and the single point mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are multiple different mount options. In case anyone is wondering the "Tri-mount" mounting kit does NOT work. Clamp is nice and thick but the angle on the kit will not work on the FZ09. I am ordering the set used here, just named "ATV/Motorcycle".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts