Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed PCV and a QS? or just the PCV i want know what it really does the PC website doesn't really say. does it supersede the governor? help get more from the bike ect....???

·
Registered
418 Posts
It'll get your A/F ratio correct. You load a map for your mods. If you use the Auto Tune you're much better off since your A/F ratio will be about perfect no matter what the Alt, temp, or humidity. Don't be fooled by the cheap tuners out there. They are almost garbage, old technology, and not very precise on the tuning capability. The QS is a very nice thing. I have it on my FZ and 3 of my other bikes. It' won't over ride the speed limiter, but a ECU reflash will. You will get a little more from the bike with a PC, and even more when you start modding it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh cool sounds good i was thinking about getting one along with the edu reflash and so would the auto tune work if i got a new exhaust?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Basically, the way I understand it, the Stoltec ECU flash is good both for the stock exhaust and after market. The Power Commander you only really need with an after market exhaust. With an after market exhaust the Stoltec flash and PC work together.

The flash controls the throttle, speed limiter, etc, and the PC controls the air / fuel mix.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome thanks for the info so would 509$$ be a good price on PCV and auto tune together?

·
Registered
192 Posts
If money is an issue, and it is for all of us, right? Think about holding off on the auto tune. I played with mine all summer, and it was fun and entertaining. Still, it has its limits.

It will build you a fuel map, which is pretty much already available. You fz09 guys have a reflash available for a great price. If he can adjust for the exhaust, DO IT! You';ll be close...very close.

Back to the auto tune..its fine. It works. It offers very little advantage (in real life) over a good map for your bike. It might suggest slightly different numbers for your pcv, but by that point its VERY tough to feel. I have mine, I use it, and its fun, but for sure buy it for fun other than making a real difference in the long run.

Heres another issue. The auto-tune tunes to the ARF fuel tables you add into it. Awesome. Where do we get the tables that are perfect for our needs? Wild ass guess? Search "Auto tune fuel table value" and you'll see hundreds of different opinions... These are super important so your auto tune knows whats its trying to accomplish. Without a dyno, you dont know which ARF works for you, and your bike . You can sometimes feel differences, or not, which brings us right back to wild ass guessing time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok cool so maybe just a PCV with a good map that makes sense i thought the auto tune did the work for you but i really want an exhaust but i don't want to have to worry about tuning

·
Registered
192 Posts
By the way, if someone finds a nice auto tune arf schedule, please share it. Here again, asking that is ridiculous. Still, I need one. Check out this thread and you'll see what I mean.

How to Use the PCV autotune to create a GOOD map and reduce backfiring

I'm talking about the page that has the 13, 13.2, 13.5 and 13.7. Should we use that one, or one you'll find for the bmw s1000rr, or ?????

Do you guys see what I mean about the auto-tune? Its as good as the info you give it, which is fairly complicated to sort through. At the same time, its impossible to know where the info came from in the first place.

Do I REALLY knwo if my bike likes 13 13.2 13.5?????

·
Registered
154 Posts
FYI - The autotune for the power commander does not replace the need for an appropriate map. The autotune gives you small incremental adjustments to your map to account for changes in temp, altitude and humidity. To get the full benefit from the tuner you need to load the right map or more ideally get it dyno tuned.

Reactions: Basil and marthy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Richp5132, thats just it. You said, "To get the full benefit from the tuner you need to load the right map or more ideally get it dyno tuned." Which is right on.

So, you do this and plug in the auto tune..for that "fine" adjustments for temp and altitude. No problem..where is the chart we load into the auto tune telling it what that exact fuel ration is that we need to get?? Oh crap, we dont have THAT since its based on a guess, or idea. Complete Circle, back to dyno.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
FYI - The autotune for the power commander does not replace the need for an appropriate map. The autotune gives you small incremental adjustments to your map to account for changes in temp, altitude and humidity. To get the full benefit from the tuner you need to load the right map or more ideally get it dyno tuned.
Completely agree with you. I wasn't going to get into it but A/T is not the magic answer to all problem. A/T do nopt proceed information fast enough to correct the map perfectly at all time. It bouce AFR up and down until if find an happy place. If you cruise down the freeway A/T will hit the number that you put in perfectly as long as you are steady throttle. Using it with a data logger with some time and hard work you will end up with great results. A/T alone without the logger will get you about 80% there... the other 20% someone need to do the work.

A/T is absolutely horrible under 20% throttle if all you do is tune TPS base map. The only way to get it 100% right on the dot is to get the TPS base map as close as possible in every gears then use A/T on a PSI map base to fine tune under 20% throttle. Pretty much anything from 60-35 psi.

Then when you spend all that time on a dyno if you use a dyno... doesn't mean it's gonna be perfect in real life riding. So claiming PCV is the best thing since slice bread is as true that it is a false statement. If you can utilize 100% of the tool, yes it is better. Other than that for normal street riding... any other controller will get the job done if tuned right.

I don't think anyone here can claim to use 100% of what the bike as to offer in term of HP. So +/- 3 HP is good enough for as long as the bike run great.

Some thing could be apply to tires. I don't need a set of $600 gum ball tire to ride around, event as a spirit ride.

All come down what everyone prefer and budget. End.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Marthy, that does make sense, and echos just about what I found. Trying to use AT alone, without a dyno, is like trying to read a book with half the pages missing. As you said, it when it starts asking for changes under 5%, its impossible to feel the difference.

Plus, for me, that under 20% throttle completely makes or brakes how good a bike feels when your riding it.

I will keep mine on though, just because it really ticks my Harley riding friend off when I can plug my laptop into the bike. He has no clue what I'm doing. I usually tell him I'm trying to give it a virus so it will run and sound more like his bike does.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Marthy, that does make sense, and echos just about what I found. Trying to use AT alone, without a dyno, is like trying to read a book with half the pages missing. As you said, it when it starts asking for changes under 5%, its impossible to feel the difference.

Plus, for me, that under 20% throttle completely makes or brakes how good a bike feels when your riding it.

I will keep mine on though, just because it really ticks my Harley riding friend off when I can plug my laptop into the bike. He has no clue what I'm doing. I usually tell him I'm trying to give it a virus so it will run and sound more like his bike does.
If you have some time on your hand you can get the LCD-200 display. Its a data logger too. You can check every single engine parameters that you can log... if you hook the speed sensor and MAP sensor in the extra PCV chanel. It takes time and work but it can be done right. But uts not a simple bang on bullet proof solution

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm still stuck on if i should get the pcv what i have read says it would do a lot even with stock exhaust... is this right?? plus i was told it overrides the governor but I'm not sure about that.... i just love going fast on it lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts