Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could get some feedback from people who have tweaked around with the fuel injection using PCV... I love my bike's acceleration and throttle response but I would like it to blend a little smoother as i open up throttle... feels like there is a threshold where it just twitches to fast instead of gradually opening up... I rode B mode and that seems much better with the increase but its not as fast (aka fun ;)..)as STD or A obviously... was curious if something just has to give or I could possible have the fast throttle response WITH a smoothed out transition from stop to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've already installed the pcv. I haven't messed with the tune at all. Waiting on the carbon Akrapovic.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can appreciate anyone's opinion and advocating for other options.. but I would appreciate it if the responses were on the topic of PCV... I already got it and have not yet changed any stock specifications... I bought it so I could remap addons down the road in future mods... Im no spokesman for PCV and I realize everyone has an opinion on what may or may not be better but this is the route I already took after considering other options.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already installed the pcv. I haven't messed with the tune at all. Waiting on the carbon Akrapovic.

I have no idea how to use the damn thing yet... did you just download the stock specs from pc website then install it on bike?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I used to have them, on several bikes, however they are almost useless without going to get your bike dynoed. You need a proper map. I don't know if the PCV however is capable of doing what you desire. It adds fuel and subtracts it, what you desire goes beyond that realm.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I can appreciate anyone's opinion and advocating for other options.. but I would appreciate it if the responses were on the topic of PCV... I already got it and have not yet changed any stock specifications... I bought it so I could remap addons down the road in future mods... Im no spokesman for PCV and I realize everyone has an opinion on what may or may not be better but this is the route I already took after considering other options.
The reflash is on topic because that it what smoothes out the throttle control. You can use both.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have no issue with the twitchy throttle. Ya its not the greatest, but I am comfortable with it so its not an issue. JKaiser, I installed mine right out of the box. It comes stock from pc set up for the stock exhaust and stock air filter. Once I get the Akrapovic exhaust I will download the specific map from the pc website or if not available I will just take it to my local dyno and have them tune it for me. Only TIME can tell... and I'm so sick of waiting for the exhaust. Lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you are adding the Akrapovic? take my advice. Run the 2 brothers map at the very least. I installed the titanium Akrapovic. The bike was way too lean. I haven't checked in with power commander in the last week or so. The two brothers option was the only map other than stock when i installed my pc-v. It is not perfect yet. However the fuel mixture is more appropriate.

I have no issue with the twitchy throttle. Ya its not the greatest, but I am comfortable with it so its not an issue. JKaiser, I installed mine right out of the box. It comes stock from pc set up for the stock exhaust and stock air filter. Once I get the Akrapovic exhaust I will download the specific map from the pc website or if not available I will just take it to my local dyno and have them tune it for me. Only TIME can tell... and I'm so sick of waiting for the exhaust. Lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
Since you already have the PC5, get the auto tune and you'll never need to bother with maps again. It'll build one continually. With my R1 with auto tune, on the dyno I made 4 hp and 2lb/ft tq more than my buddy did with a custom tune with the same mods. I spent far less in the end than he did with all the dyno time and tuning, and came out with better results. With a re flash you're stuck with one map and it doesn't change. If you get fuel mapping, even for a factory exhaust, the price is $270 for the re flash. As far as the twitchy throttle, I adjusted the slack out of mine and it's totally gone. The throttle response now feels the same as my R1. I'm not saying the re flash is a bad thing, you're just limited as far as tuning goes. To make changes you have to go to a dyno and have the changes done, and dyno time is not cheap.

Reactions: fz0976

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ya I noticed that on the pcv site. Hopefully they will add the maps for both akras soon.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
. As far as the twitchy throttle, I adjusted the slack out of mine and it's totally gone. .
Good call brother... i just took most the freeplay out of throttle and noticed an improvement... maybe the freeplay somehow created that intense stop and go threshold i mentioned earlier... feels perfect now.. i dont mind some twitch (which still exists) because its just the strong engine's characteristic... and i was not willing to sacrifice the acceleration to smooth it out.... i swear sometimes the most minor adjustment can have you looking hundreds of dollars down the road (although i will use PCV for a new exhaust/filter in the future).... thanks again man

ps. If anyone else takes all of the freeplay out, please ensure that the throttle snaps back into position when you release before starting the bike. I would hate for someone to get hurt.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Also sometimes the throttle position sensor needs adjusting, there is a how-to for it on the forum.

My understanding that in at least some situations when you close the 09 throttle the ECU completely stops fuel flow and that makes getting off/on the throttle smoothly a bit harder. The Stoltec ECU flash cures that without sacrificing any HP or sport feeling. As others have said, you can use the Stoltec flash (without his optional fuel mapping) with a Power Commander. The flash handles how the ECU interprets what you do with the throttle, the PC handles the air/fuel mix.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quick question for those with the reflash (apols for hijacking the thread) - did you notice the engine braking was significantly less during regular riding, rather than just on-off throttle transitions? I was expecting this bike to have much more engine braking than it does, considering the pretty hefty piston size, and wondered if it would feel a bit odd with even less engine braking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts