Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Power commander 5 throttle response

8K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Tunnelvision748 
#1 ·
Just installed the pcv on mine with stock filter/pipe tune and it DEFINATELY helps throttle twitchiness all you are complaining about, my throttle is a lot more smoother, gonna take some getting use to I actually liked the throttle....planning on getting the akra ti next week so I will be loading that tune and see if theres a difference.....I was able to ride in A mode on roads I usually ride in std mode today.....on a side note when in 3rd going around 75mph I gunned it and the front wheel got very lite on me and I mean very lite, she has NEVER done that before so the pcv is doing sumthin fo sho!!!

#4 ·
ah - wasn't trying to be a dick - just genuinely -curious (their website had it at $399). At $295 that's pretty close to an ECU flash with shipping (not to mention the wait time).

I was thinking either ECU flash, throttle tamer or now this - it's a tough choice haha. Was the install easy?

#8 ·
motomummy.com $285. I bought one last week. Had to see the diff between the EJK. I had a PC3 on SV and I like power commander's. I changed because I want to be able to add the POD 300. Also like the maps available in case I change exhaust again.

#11 ·
I don't know. For me I think it would depend on the cam profile on the G2. The Y400 I have now I don't like in anything but A mode. I don't know if that is a mental thing or not but in STD mode it feels to me like the B mode used to. B mode now is doo doo, lol. If you are going to team the G2 up with a PCV or reflash I would suggest getting a Y200 cam on the G2. That is just my opinion.

#12 ·
I completely cured my throttle snatchiness for $80.00. This was not my real intent but boy am I a happy camper now. $30 for a front sprocket and $50 for the rear (17/43 versus 16/45) for an 11.6% increase because it seemed to me the transmission was too close ratio; around town in a 40mph zone I was shifting into 4th and even 5th without ever lugging the engine. I did add a SpeedoDRD ($70.00) to correct my speedometer so even at $150 it is the best investment that I have have made.

#13 ·
Here is what I did, and expense was not an issue. I reflashed the ECU mainly to eliminate the throttle cut and engine braking. The bike defaults to my preferred A mode. I installed a PCV with an autotune to get the perfect setup for my Arrow exhaust. The map is totally dialed now. I installed a G2 Throttle Tamer with the Y300 profile and the bike became too linear, so I popped on the Y200 cam.

Here is what I think of my trifecta:

The bike now has PERFECT throttle response. I am talking carburetor smooth and strong. I can feed it and let off anytime, anywhere with zero jerkyness. I can fan the throttle on wheelies, and and get on it hard coming out of corners without upsetting the chassis. The bike is flat out amazing. It is smooth and lighting fast. Perfect in an imperfect world.

#14 ·
Here is what I did, and expense was not an issue. ...my trifecta... The bike now has PERFECT throttle response. ...The bike is flat out amazing. It is smooth and lighting fast. Perfect in an imperfect world.
Ahh, just the info I was looking for. About to purchase the PCV and AT to go with the existing Akra-TI and Stoltec-Flash. Sounds like this is a worthwhile step. Wanting the most out of the current setup. Thanks for sharing this, chief! :icon_thumbright:

#15 ·
OK have a update after another ride.....there seems to be a dead spot in the throttle around 3k with the stock tune and with the revs up there IS still jerkiness, so I just wanted you guys to be aware of this....I did notice at 6-8 k in third gear if you gun it in A mode better be holding on I almost fell off of it today, before wasn't like that so at low rpms the throttle seems to be tamer but if your in it id say above 6k it still will pull your arms out of socket....

#16 ·
You can modify the map to correct the dead spot. Once upon a time, I would put masking tape on the throttle tube, mark 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full with a marker and a sticker on the grip. I put a notepad and a pen in my tankbag, and would pull over to note RPM, gear, and throttle position of weak points in the map. Afterwards, I would plug in my laptop correct for lean or rich, and do it over again. This was before we had a local dyno, and Auto Tune capabilities.

#18 ·
I've been meaning to ask you guys, I want to do the flash but I love the current engine braking on the FZ. I love to keep it in 3rd gear in the mountains and not use any brakes. Can this be accomplished or will I be forced to not be lazy and actually use the brakes?

So basically I want to make the on/off go away, but I want to keep the engine braking.

#19 ·
PCV can help jerkiness, but its not the complete solution as DNFDoug stated. PCV manages fuel maps not throttle maps.

ECU Flash will allow for throttle map changes and is the best way to eliminate twitchiness. The engine brake changes are not extreme, just more linear. In addition, the flash will give you slightly different engine brake strengths in the different drive mode. Most will not notice the differences, but if your pushing into the corners hard you will notice it.

Reactions: MoFZio
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.