Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about trading in my cruiser for a FZ09 and been doing a research. I know it is a great bike for the price with some imperfections. I actually went to a local dealer and got quoted for MSRP + sale tax. No other charges with 3% APR. And they have all 3 colors in stock.

My question is what should be the first few modifications for PERFORMANCE of the bike if I have about $2,000. I'm thinking ECU flash + full exhaust. OR suspension swap (if there are aftermarket suspension for FZ09).

Great information on this site. Thank you guys.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Performance wise, I am happy with the bike. I have a Stoltec suspension ordered, and will get a reflash at the end of the season. Until I see more definitive numbers for different exhaust, I am going to hold off.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Look at the gains with the stock exhaust, and flash... It makes a full exhaust at nearly $1k seem not so attractive. With a flash, and stock exhaust, you'd see about +7hp in the midrange, and gains across the range. Save your money for a mod that is worthwhile. IMHO

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
agree, doesnt seem to be much to gain from new exhaust unless you want a new look and sound. Raw power wise coming from a cruiser, you'll probably leave your socks behind if it's your first time on a bike with this much torque.

Suspension is an issue but really depends on your weight and riding style.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. So, ECU flash would make more sense? I like the look of the stock exhaust even tho like the sound of Akrapovic exhaust but that is going to be pricy. I'd rather spend money on performance parts.

When I say performance, I don't mean top speed/acceleration. I mean better drivability with smoothness and power on demand type. I'm not going to be tracking or anything like that. I do city riding the most and cruiser is just too heavy and dull.

I'm 230lb. So, i think suspension going to be a problem. How much would it cost to swap the suspension.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So, ECU flash would make more sense? I like the look of the stock exhaust even tho like the sound of Akrapovic exhaust but that is going to be pricy. I'd rather spend money on performance parts.

When I say performance, I don't mean top speed/acceleration. I mean better drivability with smoothness and power on demand type. I'm not going to be tracking or anything like that. I do city riding the most and cruiser is just too heavy and dull.

I'm 230lb. So, i think suspension going to be a problem. How much would it cost to swap the suspension.
For suspension you can spend a few hundred or a few thousand. A new triple clicker shock and 25 mm cartridges from Stoltec Moto (I'm also 230lbs) is the setup I have. Several options/choices and prices are on his website.
You can go the other extreme and buy a used zx10(or others) shock and put heavier springs and oil for the forks.
Not as good, but a good bit better than stock for pretty cheap.
I recommend putting some miles on it before spending your money.
A few here find the suspension "PLENTY GOOD" and even "stiff".
It all depends on how and where you ride, and if you have ever had really good suspension before.
Try it first you might like it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

I'm 230 lb as well.

I went to Traxxion Dynamics and they used my forks as their prototypes and Penske and Traxxion worked together to develop my Penske double clicker. I replaced the entire guts of the forks and went with all Traxxion parts.

I really like the results but it is expensive, about $1200 for the fork cartridges, springs and fork caps.

You could do it cheaper by just revalving the stock cartridges but that would not give you the adjustable compression damping I have on my bike now.

Some folks find that just installing the correct fork springs (about $100) and heavier fork oil get the forks working well enough.

For the rear shock, many are having good luck with a ZX6RR rear shock with a heavier spring and getting by at about $150 total for the rear suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea. I have a feeling that I might not even need the aftermarket suspension. I wouldn't know until I ride it. Thar rear shock is expensive. I paid less than $400 for the HFP suspension for my car.

For suspension you can spend a few hundred or a few thousand. A new triple clicker shock and 25 mm cartridges from Stoltec Moto (I'm also 230lbs) is the setup I have. Several options/choices and prices are on his website.
You can go the other extreme and buy a used zx10(or others) shock and put heavier springs and oil for the forks.
Not as good, but a good bit better than stock for pretty cheap.
I recommend putting some miles on it before spending your money.
A few here find the suspension "PLENTY GOOD" and even "stiff".
It all depends on how and where you ride, and if you have ever had really good suspension before.
Try it first you might like it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Based on how you described your riding style. IMHO I think your money would be best spent simply.
A rear shock from a Ninja 6RR or 10R that bolts right on.
No pipes.
No flash (Ride in B mode around the city, play with standard mode, see which one you like.)
And the free seat mod (sponge).

I bet you'd be smiling all day.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yea. I have a feeling that I might not even need the aftermarket suspension. I wouldn't know until I ride it. Thar rear shock is expensive. I paid less than $400 for the HFP suspension for my car.
I hear what you are saying but, you can learn to ride better and suspension improvements will improve your control of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I have been looking at getting a stiffer rear suspension. I don't thing I would like to mess with the forks as I like how they are set for my riding style. I am about 260lbs and have it set at the highest setting at the moment and I am at about 400 miles currently. At 600 I will do my first service at the dealership (to make Yamaha happy), at will be looking at the flash from Stoltech and a stiffer suspension. I have seen some people say that a Ninja 6r or 10r will just bolt right on. Is this confirmed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts