Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noticed on my last couple of rides that condensation is accumulating/developing inside the sealed signal housings on both of the front signals... which get more use because they're wired to be running lights.

Not sure if this will become problematic in the future, but generally speaking, water/moisture collecting in electronics is never a good thing and nothing good comes of it

Tried to get a pic, but my phone camera refused to focus on the moisture instead of the LEDs.

Also, as an extra bit of info, my bike has not yet seen a drop of water... never been rained on, never been washed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Noticed on my last couple of rides that condensation is accumulating/developing inside the sealed signal housings on both of the front signals... which get more use because they're wired to be running lights.

Not sure if this will become problematic in the future, but generally speaking, water/moisture collecting in electronics is never a good thing and nothing good comes of it

Tried to get a pic, but my phone camera refused to focus on the moisture instead of the LEDs.

Also, as an extra bit of info, my bike has not yet seen a drop of water... never been rained on, never been washed.
How is the humidity where you are? I just bought a set of these signals today, will be in on Friday. I will look and see if there is any moisture in them before I install.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Even if it never corrodes anything it will cloud it up or mildew and look really bad. Anything that creates heat and then cools is going to cause it's housing to breather. As it heats up the air expands and is pushed out. When it cools it brings a little bit of air in. The moisture condenses from the air, and builds up... Could you make it drain somehow? Sealing it up would trap the heat...

·
Registered
142 Posts
its always foggy in SF..even in your turn signals :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is the humidity where you are? I just bought a set of these signals today, will be in on Friday. I will look and see if there is any moisture in them before I install.
It gets pretty foggy overnight and into the morning, although my bike is garaged.

Even if it never corrodes anything it will cloud it up or mildew and look really bad. Anything that creates heat and then cools is going to cause it's housing to breather. As it heats up the air expands and is pushed out. When it cools it brings a little bit of air in. The moisture condenses from the air, and builds up... Could you make it drain somehow? Sealing it up would trap the heat...
The corrosion and/or mildew is my main concern. Going to take a closer look tonight.

its always foggy in SF..even in your turn signals :)
Not always... but mostly...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
With leds I can't foresee an issue with corrosion as their contacts are soldered and the "bulbs" are sealed by nature of the manufacturing process (at least they should be), unless the corrosion gets really heavy, it should (theoretically) be good for decades. Any experts out there... please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm old, but I can learn. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
My Tenere's headlight housing will sometimes show a little fogging inside the corners after I wash it. Once it warms up, it goes away. No worries.
Not to alarm you or anything. But, if that little bit is getting in the signals already, you may want to remove the brake master cylinder cover and have a look atop the rubber seal/diaphragm for accumulating water. I've bought more than one bike that was new, never been outside the showroom that had water in there from the warm/cool/warm cycling mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can't remember seeing blinkers that didnt show condensation at some point. The only different is the cheap ones will burn out, these ones wont.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I monitored them closely yesterday, and the moisture dissipated pretty quickly (checked it every hour or so) and there was none present today, but it wasn't nearly as foggy this morning as the past couple of days.

Upon closer inspection, I don't think the outside lens is sealed at all... just snapped on (you can see spots where it looks like you can lift on the plastic to pop off the lens if you wanted to).

One signal in particular is pretty gappy (<not a real word, I know)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to alarm you or anything. But, if that little bit is getting in the signals already, you may want to remove the brake master cylinder cover and have a look atop the rubber seal/diaphragm for accumulating water. I've bought more than one bike that was new, never been outside the showroom that had water in there from the warm/cool/warm cycling mentioned in this thread.
Good tip, will inspect this weekend.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nop, maybe it's cause I'm up north and temperature goes from -40C to +40C, but I've seen this often after washing my bikes, usually I notice early in the morning, I go ride and it all clears up. I've even seen some condensation in my headlight the other day, rode it, gone.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My Tenere's headlight housing will sometimes show a little fogging inside the corners after I wash it. Once it warms up, it goes away. No worries.
Here's the fluid from a 2012 V-Star 950 bought in Nov. 2013. The bike had less than 100 miles when I took the pictures. From crate to day of sale, the bike had never been outside the showroom.
brake fluid.jpg

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's pretty humid in Japan. ...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nop, maybe it's cause I'm up north and temperature goes from -40C to +40C, but I've seen this often after washing my bikes, usually I notice early in the morning, I go ride and it all clears up. I've even seen some condensation in my headlight the other day, rode it, gone.
I live in MN, never had the issue.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What did you use to mount those onto the bike with? I'm ordering a set of the OEM LED and want to be prepared. Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
They come with all the hardware you need... thou you need to know that even thou they are OEM signals, they don't come with an OEM connector. You have your choice of using the supplied connectors or buying a short conversion harness that has the OEM connector. Also, they come with resistors if you plan to use the stock signal flasher relay... they didn't work for me (fast flash even with them installed), but I was going to buy a LED specific flasher relay anyway. HTH :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts