Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg image.jpg
Brace tat spans frame which holds shock mount .
I doubt it will be an issue but I'll keep an eye on it. You might wanna take a look at your bike, let me know if you find the same .

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hard to tell exactly from the pic, but that sure looks like the beginning of a hairline crack. Can you tell if it's just the paint, or does it look like that bolt was over torqued during assembly? I just checked mine thoroughly, and see nothing similar to yours-mines a '14 BTW. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it looks like the paint was done over the top of it . I'd like to think its a casting blemish but being that it's exactly where an over torque issue would result ,has me suspicious.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Judging by how almost everything on this bike was over torqued during assembly, it wouldn't surprise me. Keep an eye on it, keep us posted, and stay safe...

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Mine has something that looks to be same on the RH above the front bolt... I can catch a fingernail on it ...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just looked at my bike, I have a similar fault/crack on the right side forward bolt. Calling the dealer in a bit, and if I have time I will run it down this afternoon.

Might end up with a new FJ after all.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's hard to imagine that a series of castings like that would make it past quality control. Interesting.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Are these 2014s and 2015s....? I see several are 2015s.

Yeah, my castings on both sides are perfectly smooth. I hope this is just an imperfection, not a structural issue.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
On further inspection, my casting/bolts look significantly different than theses photos. On the surface, they appear the same, maybe it is just the photos, but that recess and the bolt head thickness seem quite different on my early 2014.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I can try to get it... It looks like my bolt heads are much thicker, much more rounded. Maybe insignificant, but could point to a change in the process/part.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks similar to mine, will be keeping an eye on this as it develops. If this weakens the frame Yamaha will have a very embarrassing widespread recall. On mine it feels like a crack in the mold and the blemish in the frame actually protrudes in the 4 dark spots in the picture and catches my fingernail on it. I always thought the frame looked cheap anyway, the way the just harshly filed off the edges of it in certain spots.

2015-03-31 07.40.41.jpg

1 - 20 of 144 Posts