Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an app called My Tracks by Google. Hit Record and go for a ride. Post the results here, like so:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_bW_QESncTTZGRDbGlLamNhZHc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Created by Google My Tracks on Android.

Name: 20131109
Activity type: motorcycle riding
Description: Nice afternoon ride in SW Ohio
Total distance: 97.89 km (60.8 mi)
Total time: 1:32:53
Moving time: 1:23:28
Average speed: 63.23 km/h (39.3 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 70.36 km/h (43.7 mi/h)
Max speed: 126.09 km/h (78.4 mi

...from my phone...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally don't mind. I've already got my house posted on the member map.

Thanks v2Bob, I'm going to have to give it a go. I never realized how close we are to each other.

If, by green end, you mean the green marker, that's where I first started it, so I assume that's where the gps was zeroing in on my actual location.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
This is a track! ;)

View attachment 771

Putnam Park Road Course
A great club level track, for beginner to expert, track days etc. A bit west of Indianapolis.
I use to love to go to Putnam, when I lived in IL. It was a very fun track.....nice front straight, T4 was a 100 MPH knee on the deck lefty, and of course, the famous.....dead bear. I haven't been there since 2006, right before I moved to E. TN. Lot's of good memories on that track. I remember lifting the front wheel ever so slightly coming up out of the "dip" on the front straight.....at 150 MPH on my 1000RR. I about pooped my pants the first time it happened.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's not like posting your bank account passwords. My home info is all over both of my websites so my clients feel safe doing business with me. What harm can come from posing which serial number bike you have? Anyone who comes to my home with bad intentions will have to answer to the end of a barrel.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This day in age, nothing is sacred. It is so easy to find out all you want about people from public data bases. It's kind of scary.

Your phone is recording that stuff anyway. This ap just allows you to see it. As a "former" LEO, I can tell you that it's fairly common to get a search warrant for phone tracks. It's amazing how many people commit murders, robberies, etc with a smart phone in their pocket that puts them at the scene (and time) of the crime.

I have posted similar tracks of canoe trips and snowmobile trips on outdoor sites. I figure if someone wants to find you bad enough, they will. Remember. Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have fun with my little Garmin GPS, but I suppose it could be used to bite you in the butt. (especially in court) As with most of these programs, you can click on a dot on your track and it provides a lot of information including direction, elevation and speed at the time. I don't think my Garmin allows me to delete the speed tracking function?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Um, is it good to post such detailed info? Zooming in on your track it seems the end with the red marker is your house, a L.E.O. could figure out who you are etc.

And what is that odd little ziz zag at the green end? lol
UMMM... combine this thread with this one..

http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/8-fz-09-pictures-videos/769-show-us-your-man-caves.html

Come one guys... And don't think for one second that Deleting info on a site will fix it. Data redundancy is the biggest business on the internet these days. Anything you post is mirrored across the world in a variety of servers. We've all come to think of internet as this wild west technology, when it fact combined with your mobile phones it has become the shackles of our own imprisonment.

They say, think twice before saying something. Same applies online, think twice before posting or uploading something.

Reactions: YATTATTAK

·
Registered
209 Posts
I found an app called My Tracks by Google. Hit Record and go for a ride. Post the results here, like so:

...from my phone...
Your tracks are right in my wheelhouse eolith. You went right past one of my favorite roads... Chicken Bristle! Haha. Its just a regular road with maybe some woop dee doos but you really know youre out in the country when youre on Chicken Bristle!

Ive got a few loops I usually run in this same area that I lengthen or shorten depending on time, and temps, etc.

Sounds like you got the right idea going to the country. I was hoping you werent spending all your time riding in the city.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I bought a Spot Gen3 for Christmas so my family can trace my route in real time as a cross the US on my FJR. I can send a text message to select people. I can summon roadside help or I can send an SOS to the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center where the Gen3 provides GPS coordinates and information to local response teams. Regardless of where I ride or hike. Even out at sea when I go sailing off San Diego with my Navy buddies.

SPOT Gen3

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

...from my phone...
I looked at the map and saw no Interstate travel.....so I assume that the maximum speed limit on the roads you were on is 55mph. You went 78mph....which means that a cop could drive over to your house and hand you a ticket for 23 mph over the limit. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I looked at the map and saw no Interstate travel.....so I assume that the maximum speed limit on the roads you were on is 55mph. You went 78mph....which means that a cop could drive over to your house and hand you a ticket for 23 mph over the limit. Good luck.
I am sure cops are combing through bike forums looking for someone to post up tracks, and then doing the research, sleuthing personal details derived from IP addresses, and sending tickets. ...probably a team of cops from each jusrisdiction across the country are active this very minute. Eolith, I would be looking out for SWAT to come crashing through your windows.

Get real, no one cares

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am sure cops are combing through bike forums looking for someone to post up tracks, and then doing the research, sleuthing personal details derived from IP addresses, and sending tickets. ...probably a team of cops from each jusrisdiction across the country are active this very minute. Eolith, I would be looking out for SWAT to come crashing through your windows.

Get real, no one cares
I really don't think the cops will go to his house either. The point was not to give the cops an easy way to bust him by posting on the Internet. You may laugh about SWAT teams.....but cops DO read these forums and watch YOU TUBE just like you and I do. The Mounties tracked down a guy on a motorcycle who posted a vid of himself riding his bike doing 223 kph on the Expressway. He is still in jail. There were 3 others in the States that the same thing happened. On my regular forum in Georgia....we discovered that if we planned a large group ride on our favorite twisty spots.....a whole lot MORE cops would show up. So yes if the cops think they can generate good cash flow from the evidence you posted on the Internet....I'd be careful.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
An illegal ticket, how could they know that you were the one actually driving. You have to be zapped by a calibrated radar or laser or approved timing or pacing method, not a cell phone app.

In case you were kidding...lame joke lol

I'm not against being paranoid though...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I bought a Spot Gen3 for Christmas so my family can trace my route in real time as a cross the US on my FJR. I can send a text message to select people. I can summon roadside help or I can send an SOS to the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center where the Gen3 provides GPS coordinates and information to local response teams. Regardless of where I ride or hike. Even out at sea when I go sailing off San Diego with my Navy buddies.

SPOT Gen3
The spots have gotten a lot smaller than the gen 1.

Please please please tell me that you don't bring that on a US Navy ship and turn on the real time tracking. There's a reason they don't broadcast the ship positions...and the spot isn't exactly encrypted.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The spots have gotten a lot smaller than the gen 1.

Please please please tell me that you don't bring that on a US Navy ship and turn on the real time tracking. There's a reason they don't broadcast the ship positions...and the spot isn't exactly encrypted.

The Navy has their own tracking system. What I'm talking about is my fellow ex-Navy buddies when we go sailing (literally).

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I really don't think the cops will go to his house either. The point was not to give the cops an easy way to bust him by posting on the Internet. You may laugh about SWAT teams.....but cops DO read these forums and watch YOU TUBE just like you and I do. The Mounties tracked down a guy on a motorcycle who posted a vid of himself riding his bike doing 223 kph on the Expressway. He is still in jail. There were 3 others in the States that the same thing happened. On my regular forum in Georgia....we discovered that if we planned a large group ride on our favorite twisty spots.....a whole lot MORE cops would show up. So yes if the cops think they can generate good cash flow from the evidence you posted on the Internet....I'd be careful.
Not believing you, I googled it....and you are right. Looks like the ppl in the states were driving cars. However, these were all instances of aggregious speeding, and the videos had gone viral. Eoliths 'high speed run' averaging 40mph with one spurt hitting 78 (woah) ;) probably isn't gonna get him in trouble...furthermore, there is the whole proof and evidence thing. How would cops prove that's not a photoshop, or that he is posting a screen shot from his buddies tracks?

Im really shocked that those 4 guys got nabbed at all, they all had to confess anyway, As my father-in-law always says...I guess it's easier than solving crime.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts