Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ive been wondering about the X-Grip...thats a clean install.
product info makes it seem like its intended more for bicycles...how secure is the phone at speed and over bumps, etc? Have you ever had any close calls with it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
How's the vibration with the Ram mount? I have one of their mounts on my snowmobile for my GPS but the ride is never smooth enough to really look at it. I just switched from a Lifeproof to a Lunatik "extreme." That install looks pretty clean, and makes the offset instrument panel make sense.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
My RAM mount and the GPS holder for my Garmin Zumo.....

My cellphone/smartphone goes in the tail bag. Generally speaking there is no one that I want to talk to bad enough to have a phone available when I'm riding, and many of the places I ride down here don't have cell phone coverage until you get into a town. Cell service is even sketchy at Deals Gap at the overlook.....and that is one of the highest points in the entire road....if not the highest.

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive been wondering about the X-Grip...thats a clean install.
product info makes it seem like its intended more for bicycles...how secure is the phone at speed and over bumps, etc? Have you ever had any close calls with it?
I've had the X-Grip on my VFR, have one on my mountain bike, and had it on my KLX250S and it works awesome. Never had any issues or any close calls.

How's the vibration with the Ram mount? I have one of their mounts on my snowmobile for my GPS but the ride is never smooth enough to really look at it. I just switched from a Lifeproof to a Lunatik "extreme." That install looks pretty clean, and makes the offset instrument panel make sense.
The rubber mounts on the grip buffer the vibrations very well!

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My RAM mount and the GPS holder for my Garmin Zumo.....

My cellphone/smartphone goes in the tail bag. Generally speaking there is no one that I want to talk to bad enough to have a phone available when I'm riding, and many of the places I ride down here don't have cell phone coverage until you get into a town. Cell service is even sketchy at Deals Gap at the overlook.....and that is one of the highest points in the entire road....if not the highest.
Oh I really like where you mounted that...

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Thanks, it's right in front of your head, centered on the bike.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have the X-grip and it is awesome and clean for sure. But on my cruiser bike I was a little worried my smooth google nexus phone could slip out of it on a really big pot hole or something, because it was mounted fairly vertically. So I bought a rubber case for it on ebay for like $10 and there is no survivable bump I could hit that would knock it out now. On the FZ9 it will be mounted closer to 45 degrees like in that video so it might be fine without the case but I haven't tried it yet cause its well into winter up here :(

As for vibrations the phone gets a little blurry on the V-twin cruiser at highway speeds but still easily readable, kind of like the mirrors, but I doubt my FZ9 will vibrate anywheres near that much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
RAM Mounts motorcycle 1" ball handlebar mount with M8 screws, Garmin 2475LM specific cradle, 1" ball base plate, short double socket arm. All parts from RAM Mounts totaled around $50-$60. Ordered through Amazon from GPS City. It is powered with a 12v accessory recept from Battery Tender that just plugs directly into the quick connect I already have attached to the battery. I just tuck it in the space in front of the battery. Had to run the Garmin power cable under the tank and up through the handlebars. Works great. The only downside with using an automotive GPS is glare on the screen. But I can easily lean forward enough to see. I could probably adjust the arm to where it hold the GPS higher and positioned more toward me, but it wouldn't look as clean. Happy with this set-up.
photo 2.jpg photo 1 (2).jpg photo 2(2).jpg photo 1.jpg

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Glare

At home, for a TV screen or computer monitor etc I like to have my line of sight perpendicular to the center of the screen. But when I remounted my 09 speedo I tilted the top towards me a bit from that to reduce glare. The reflection I see in the display is of my collar bone area, seems to help.

Edit: Is there an anti glare film that can be put on a GPS touch screen that will hold up to motorcycle use? If it is cheap it would be ok if it needs replacing once in awhile.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I put a protective film on my Garmin Zumo screen. It was a looooooooooong time ago so I can't remember what brand it was... but it was off eBay, was super cheap, and it's still doing it's job, so I'm satisfied.

Honestly, It's been on so long I can't remember if the film is anti glare, or if the stock Zumo screen was already anti glare and I just slapped the film over it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts