Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sloped.jpg

You may have seen my other thread about the hesitations about this bike. I really think it's coming down to the ergonomics of it, coming from a super-sport. Sitting on the bike, as opposed to sitting in it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to rejigger the handle-bars, maybe get some straighter or slightly inverted ones to make for a more aggressive riding position? Or is this heresy and would totally throw the bike out of wack?

·
Registered
518 Posts
coming from a line of super sports (cbr, r6, r1), my first thought when I got my 09 was that the pegs were too low and too forward. If a decent option ever comes out to adjust them, ill be on it

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Buell 1125CR clubmans, there are photos arround.

I tried to have the camera on the axis of the bar mounts, you can see the grip area is out board from the tops of the forks.

I haven't ridden with mine yet, the several reports from 09 riders that have all love them. (I'm not suggesting clubmans for all 09 riders, if you like sitting upright, fine.) I like to have my weight on the wind, and to keep the front end down. Not nearly as low as race clipons.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buell 1125CR clubmans, there are photos arround.

I tried to have the camera on the axis of the bar mounts, you can see the grip area is out board from the tops of the forks.

I haven't ridden with mine yet, the several reports from 09 riders that have all love them. (I'm not suggesting clubmans for all 09 riders, if you like sitting upright, fine.) I like to have my weight on the wind, and to keep the front end down. Not nearly as low as race clipons.
Bob that is great to see, do you have any other pics? Really interested in what your gut feeling is once you ride with them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would these bars work with any of the aftermarket fly screens? Seems like it might cause clearance issues...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Here is what Nick of Stoltec posted at the time he installed them: http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...ject-bike-gonna-long-thread-10.html#post30606

This site lists the bars: 18036 - Black Clubman Bar, for 1125CR, 1-1/8" center, 7/8" ends - American Sport Bike - Online Store

That seems the going price for the bars, Harley stopped the Buell line a few years ago but it seems Harley dealers can still get the bars, be careful you ask for just the bars, they also come as a kit that includes Buell cables etc that you don't want and costs something like $240.

Nick said if you go on a Buell forum you can find the bars for less $ from riders that don't like the position.

About screens I don't know, if it is a problem you can probably modify the mount or make your own.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is what Nick of Stoltec posted at the time he installed them: http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-...ject-bike-gonna-long-thread-10.html#post30606

This site lists the bars: 18036 - Black Clubman Bar, for 1125CR, 1-1/8" center, 7/8" ends - American Sport Bike - Online Store

That seems the going price for the bars, Harley stopped the Buell line a few years ago but it seems Harley dealers can still get the bars, be careful you ask for just the bars, they also come as a kit that includes Buell cables etc that you don't want and costs something like $240.

Nick said if you go on a Buell forum you can find the bars for less $ from riders that don't like the position.

About screens I don't know, if it is a problem you can probably modify the mount or make your own.
Those handlebars honestly look so much better, I am definitely going to try these out.

Bob, what kind of mirrors are you using with this setup?

Thanks so much for all the info!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not weird. I like the stock ones also.

What was install like? And thanks for the links, it's great to see the riding position difference.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm also re-doing everything above the headlight including the speedo location, so I've had more problems to deal with than most.

For just a basic/minimal change of other stuff the one problem is the clutch cable elbow it needs to be a tighter turn, for my set up a lot tighter. I am going to have MotionPro make some custom cables for me. Other people have squeaking by with the stock cable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bob, what's the effort like to make a handle-bar change like what you have? Is this a major operation, or is it something a relative novice could undertake?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Have you changed the bars on any bike before? If you want to use the stock grips you have to get the left one off without damage, a bit if of a struggle. But grips are cheap and some people change them anyway, you can just cut the old one off to get the clutch perch.

The 2 plastic switch housing and the throttle grip/cable housing each have one pin that fits in a hole in the bar to keep them in place. The switch ones you can cut off, for the throttle I think it is safer to drill a hole. NOT the same distance from the end of the bar as stock lol. The stock grips actually go past the end of the bars about an inch.

I don't know, it's not an advanced job, but there's a fair amount of detail.

If you want to get a feel for it before deciding you can take the stock bars off and put them back on. Leave the left grip and clutch perch on. It will give you an idea what it is like, it will be practice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you changed the bars on any bike before? If you want to use the stock grips you have to get the left one off without damage, a bit if of a struggle. But grips are cheap and some people change them anyway, you can just cut the old one off to get the clutch perch.

The 2 plastic switch housing and the throttle grip/cable housing each have one pin that fits in a hole in the bar to keep them in place. The switch ones you can cut off, for the throttle I think it is safer to drill a hole. NOT the same distance from the end of the bar as stock lol. The stock grips actually go past the end of the bars about an inch.

I don't know, it's not an advanced job, but there's a fair amount of detail.

If you want to get a feel for it before deciding you can take the stock bars off and put them back on. Leave the left grip and clutch perch on. It will give you an idea what it is like, it will be practice.
OK, that all makes sense to me, thanks again for all of your help with this, extremely appreciated!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:iamwithstupid: if you're going to police an internet board for redundancy, you're going to have a hard time

Also way to chime in 19 posts later with your snide remark :rolleyes: real community like

1 - 20 of 41 Posts