Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the FZ09 here (actually in the state below me) TX and I am looking solidly at having to relocate to CA (on purpose!) Is there a way without spending millions to make the bike a CA version?!??! I really dont want to have to get rid of the thing before I actually put miles on it...

·
Registered
877 Posts
I just bought the FZ09 here (actually in the state below me) TX and I am looking solidly at having to relocate to CA (on purpose!)

Is there a way without spending millions to make the bike a CA version?!??! Uhhhhh, no.

I really dont want to have to get rid of the thing before I actually put miles on it...
If the bike has 7500 miles on it, it can be registered in Cali.

Keep the Ok or Tx plate and registration current till then.

Keep your out of state driver's license as well.

Don't turn it in if you get a Cali drivers lic.

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yep - go put some miles on it and you'll be okay. I have no idea why the 7,500 mile minimum exists - but I've heard it before. I'd try to get the miles and re-registration done as soon as possible and then get the California license. Having a California license and Oklahoma plates would be suspicious - but then just having out of state plates draws attention...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yep - go put some miles on it and you'll be okay. I have no idea why the 7,500 mile minimum exists - but I've heard it before. I'd try to get the miles and re-registration done as soon as possible and then get the California license. Having a California license and Oklahoma plates would be suspicious - but then just having out of state plates draws attention...
The 7500 mile thing has more to do with the new car dealers lobby.

Has been for years.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
California has its own smog rules.

You cannot convert a non-California bike to a California bike - there are different sticker requirements. However, many bikes sold are California spec bikes no matter where they were sold. Basically some mfrs build some models to be compliant with California smog rules for all States. It is important to note that many States have similar smog rules like Massachusetts.

Because California has their own smog equipment rules, the 7500 mile limit is how they define a "used" vehicle. It is OK to buy a used vehicle and bring it to California but it is not OK to buy a new or vehicle with less than 7500 miles on it to California. This rule prevents California residents from buying a NEW, non-California smog spec vehicle and bringing it to California.

The best option, register the bike at a family member's home in Oklahoma or where ever you are now. Keep it registered there until you have 7500 miles on it. Then transfer the registration to California.

Keep in mind, if you do not ride enough to put on that type of mileage, your bike will be next to worthless in California until it has close to 7500 miles on it. For me, I ride 15-20k miles per year so 7500 miles is nothing to me but lots of people ride 1500 miles per year.

If you are the type that only rides 1500-2k miles/year, I suggest selling the bike where you are and buying another bike in California.

If I were in your shoes, I would ride the bike to California using a scenic route (1500-2k miles) and ride it all the time until I put on 7500 miles. It is not that hard to do and it is FUN! and you can explore California in the best possible way.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The DMV is only looking for a sticker.

When i registered a bike that I bought in Kansas (that was originally from California), i went to the DMV to register it and although the previous owner had already removed the emissions stuff, all they wanted to see was the sticker.

I believe that the 7,500 mile rule applies only to current residents of the state... so we can't just go buy a vehicle in a neighboring state and avoid taxes or having the emissions equipment.

I think its a whole different set of rules if you are relocating to the state from somewhere else in the country.

Found this on the interwebs:

New to California?

New residents to California are required to register their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency. Find your local DMV office and make an appointment to register your vehicle.

Residency in California applies to anyone who:

Is employed in California.
Claims tax exemptions for a home in California.
Rents or leases a home or apartment.
Applies for state documents (driver's license, voter registration, etc.).
Enrolls themselves or their dependents in any type of school (college, grade school, high school, etc).
NOTE: These rules do not apply to members of the military or their families who are residents of another state.

After establishing residency in California, go to a local DMV office and submit:

An Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343) with the signatures of all owners, the information for any lienholders, if applicable.
Commercial vehicles need a Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (Form REG 4008).
Trailers must be registered using the Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Application Certification (Form REG 4017).
Proof of vehicle insurance.
Out-of-state title, if you’re transferring your title to California.
This is not required if you are not also applying for a California title at the same time; however, the registration will be non-transferable if you do not get a California title (see “Registering a Vehicle in California” below for steps on how to change a non-transferable registration to a transferable one).
Out-of-state registration.
You may also use a registration renewal or letter showing registration from the DMV in the last state where it was registered.
Weight certification, if required.
Smog and emissions certification, if applicable (see “Safety & Smog Checks” below).
Payment for all fees and taxes (see “Registration Fees” below).
A DMV employee will perform a physical inspection of the vehicle and a VIN verification. You will receive a California registration certificate, plus license plates and registration stickers for your vehicle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info.. I got 70 miles on it before the ice storms here forced it into the garage.. Now I am so disgusted with this place that I want to go home to California YESTERDAY!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I ever get back to CA.. I could do that pretty quick.. Here.. not so much.. Ironic that I buy a new bike and cannot ride the darned thing!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You can borrow my sticker for $1k ;) J/k

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I already live in California, I'll be glad to help out. Ship the bike to me and I'll make the..um..sacrifice to ride her every day until you get here. You're welcome!
My best friend who lives out there would really kick my ass.. he's the Yamaha guy who has been giving me hell about buying a Yamaha to begin with...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts