Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Food for thought:
I pulled the right side foot rests off the FZ-09 and Tenere and compared them.
The Tenere rests are designed like the street tracker version of the MT-09: Wider and beefier.
While the Tenere's aren't a direct fit, I do believe they could be made to fit with a few simple mods.
These photos show how they compare to the stock FZ-09 parts. The pivot pins are identical in diameter and length. The mounts are not. The FZ's are narrower. The Tenere rests could be ground down slightly to fit. You'd have to order the matching springs, too. I looked things up online at the Yamaha site and the rests, rubber parts, springs and the left side feeler bolt (right side doesn't have one), come to $87.78.
A pair of SW-Motech pegs very much like these go for a little over $150. So, the OEM parts are actually a bargain.

IMG_7937.jpg IMG_7938.jpg IMG_7940b.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
FZ6R/FJR1300 pegs fit, and I got Chinese knockoffs for only $10 a pair with free shipping. Not as big as the Tenere's - but larger, rubber covered, and comfortable just the same...
They fit with no modifications - plug and play? This is my only discomfort point with the bike after getting the seat squared away. After 2 hours of riding my damn feet are numb from the vibration.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Cheap Chinese knockoffs for a part that has to bear a lot of weight, and could be very ugly if they snap off, especially while cornering, seems like a bad way to save $50 or $60. I know a lot of people use Chinese knock offs with no problems and if it's snapping a clutch or brake lever it's one thing, but having a foot peg snap off while leaned into a corner could be catastrophic. If I was that worried about saving a couple dollars I'd buy used before Chinese. Just my opinion so don't get all worked up.

Reactions: beck

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
Thanks for posting that Eddie.
It's going to be 65 degrees in Suches Wednesday. Come on up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Cheap Chinese knockoffs for a part that has to bear a lot of weight, and could be very ugly if they snap off, especially while cornering, seems like a bad way to save $50 or $60. I know a lot of people use Chinese knock offs with no problems and if it's snapping a clutch or brake lever it's one thing, but having a foot peg snap off while leaned into a corner could be catastrophic. If I was that worried about saving a couple dollars I'd buy used before Chinese. Just my opinion so don't get all worked up.
"Alot of weight" can be subjective... If they are cast alluminum they are the same stuff... Its cheaper because you're not buying the brand. I doubt the metal's forge is much different.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I've seen China's idea of quality control especially in regards to things like food production, so no thanks. If you buy a Yamaha part and it breaks causing an accident there is potential for legal recourse and they know it. That Chinese knock off breaks you can't do anything about it and they know it as well. Which environment do you think breeds better quality control?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I've seen China's idea of quality control especially in regards to things like food production, so no thanks. If you buy a Yamaha part and it breaks causing an accident there is potential for legal recourse and they know it. That Chinese knock off breaks you can't do anything about it and they know it as well. Which environment do you think breeds better quality control?
Exactly, i wouldn't trust a damn thing of what they say it's made out of. You don't have to look far on the internet to see how bad chinese manufacturing is. They live by a different set of rules and it's extremely hard to take legal action, which is why this has gone unchecked and continues today.

I agree with Harry - spending an extra $60 bucks - hell spending an extra $200 on something as critical as footpegs is incredibly trivial to paying huge medical bills or even worse, the price of your life, should a petal snap going around a corner.

I put a lot of pressure on my pegs when i ride - i will only trust a good source for those. To each their own though - you may survive your whole riding career riding on cheap china parts - but it's a gamble i'm not willing to take - i'm not that lucky.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I bought the Chinese FZ6R pegs and I thoroughly inspected them. No casting flaws. Guess what? Most of the stuff we buy these days are made in China. We said the same thing about Japan once upon a time. My CBR had the same type of pegs and they are much more comfortable on longer runs, while reducing vibration.

I broke a peg pin on a motocross bike in a race one time. As soon as it gave way, my reflex response lifted my leg automatically. I finished the race with my foot on the case.

http://www.amazon.com/Tengchang-Footrest-FJR1300-xjr1200-xjr1300/dp/B00H5JOAXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415148334&sr=8-1&keywords=Fz6r+foot+pegs

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Great idea. But a local distributor would be easier. I couldn't find anything.
Yamabits ships to the US...and I think they should appear on ebay too- shipped from UK/Europe.
Also, I think the rubber pegs of the FZ07 should fit as well- somebody will have to confirm that. But they are not "adv" style like this one.

·
Registered
962 Posts
They fit with no modifications - plug and play? This is my only discomfort point with the bike after getting the seat squared away. After 2 hours of riding my damn feet are numb from the vibration.
The rear's needed to have a little bit of dremeling in order to fold all of the way up, the fronts were fine. I bought them originally because I was looking to get some MFW Vario pegs and thought the FZ6R pegs might be similar enough to get Vario's made for it. But I like them so much that I'm keeping them. They are not OEM, but they are nicer than other OEM pegs that I've had. They feel stronger than my CRF's pegs or the FZ-09 pegs that they replaced - but I guess the XTZ1200's pegs are meant to have large people stand on them while riding over rough terrain...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts